Annaleigh in Wicked

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#50re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 11:36am

My bad. You're absolutely right -- that is indeed a real photo of Laura Bell Bundy used for the poster art of LEGALLY BLONDE: The Musical. It is definitely not a cartoon/illustration as I originally implied.

re: Annaleigh in Wicked

I apparently confused it with this obvious cartoon/illustration of Laura Bell Bundy:

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#51re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 1:41pm

Talking about a photo that looks extremely fake is not a "backlash" against Annaleigh Ashford.

nygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
#52re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 3:08pm

The photo looks airbrushed to me, too. She's also gripping the hell out of that wand. Seems kinda tense. Updated On: 10/27/07 at 03:08 PM

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#53re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 4:04pm

ya, the LB logo looks nothing like Laura Bell, the only really weird thhing about the Annaleigh shot to me is her hair on her left shoulder, it just kind of stops...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

bwayguy22089
#54re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 4:10pm

hahaha very true. i dont know why they couldn't just take a new photo? i guess they will soon

jake6970
#55re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 4:18pm

The Legally Blonde poster is a cgi.

UglyBetty Profile Photo
UglyBetty
#56re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 4:25pm

Who cares if its Airbrushed or not. Its a press photo, of course its gonna be retouched to some extent. You could argue good retouching vs bad retouching or just too much retouching.

Honestly i think this is a whole lot of fuss about nothing.

Flaunt It
#57re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 4:48pm

The issue is not that it has been retouched.. it is that whatever they did makes the photo very odd .. I don't care about removing wig lines and smoothing skin and stage makeup.. but when your Photoshop work has made it look like your subject has a broken neck you can't be shocked by the reaction. This isn't “Death Becomes Her”.

Updated On: 10/27/07 at 04:48 PM

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#58re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:15pm

I'm actually leaning more towards a photo call with Annaleigh and several shots put together... the gown has several differences from any other... the shoulder straps are silver (all of the previous gowns have been skin tone with rhinestones, but the London collar straps have been re-designed silver, so they are reflecting the changes in the Broadway gown) and they're at 90 degree angle, when the others were designed with the sole purpose of holding up the collar. The new sequin pattern on her bodice is very similar to Megan Hilty's LA gown and Kendra Kassebaum's, but looks almost fuller... and the arm... things... are much smaller, and you can actually see the elastic on the top and bottom, when on most previous gowns... they're just big poofs with hidden elastic.

However, the Glinda makeup design is much different than the makeup Annaleigh is wearing in the photo... so… maybe it’s an already existing photo of her... which would just be stupid... they can afford to pay her for a photo shoot with the cash their brining in every year... However... they do change makeup design for photo calls vs. actual performance stage design so it doesn't look plain ridiculous.

examples:

photo call shot of Cheno:
this is Kristin at a photo call with a shot taken by Joan Marcus, with her actual stage makeup... Nothing dulled down, but I don't think this was one of the original intended publicity shots, just a nice shot of Cheno that happened to be taken during the original Brodway photo shoot.

Kristin and Idina's real stage makeup:
Here Kristin has the same stage makeup, but as per normal it looks ridiculous up close so it will read from stage. However,

Here is a picture of the original main cast, and the makeup is extremely dulled down and normalized so that it could be used for publicity. This was also done for all television performances and close up out of performace shots which makes me think that because an entire cast photo call was not needed because they don't retake shots for new ensemble members, they may have just put Annaleigh in a glamed up "close up" version of the stage makeup for this photo call, taken several pictures, and photoshopped them together...

They've been using posed shots of new principals lately on the website but in stage makeup and costume… not like this at all… I’m assuming they did this because there are now five english speaking casts around the world and the only time whole cast photo calls have been called lately were for the 2007 London cast with Kerry and Diane, but that production is only 1 year old, and pretty budget equal with the origianl Broadway, which the tour, Chicago, and LA are not... AND to have photo calls every time there was a new principal in every cast would be ridiculous for cost reasons, and because publicity is not as hot as it is when a new production opens.

Kristin's collar and shoulder straps are missing from this picture as is Annaleigh’s in the above photo... so the collar may have just gotten in the way for up close publicity shots. Dianne Pilkington and Helen Dallimore also removed their collars for some publicity shots, but not all... however, the collar has been removed for the London catfight scene but not on Broadway, and most of the publicity shots of Glinda and Elphaba together have been copies of the iconic photo of the catfight scene from San Francisco and not the original “For Good” shot which is more copied here in the states. The London bubble gown has also changed design ever so slightly (a v neck line... which began with Megan Hilty(who received a new gown for LA with a sequin pattern similar to Ashford's) and Kendra Kassebaum and has been deepened for London (although Annaleigh's neckline has reverted to the original straight neckline)a fuller skirt, and a different necklace (Broadway's necklace has also changed several times) to a snow flake burst design to reflect the tiara and the wand)and some of it is being reflected in Annaleigh's gown..

As for Stephanie's picture... it's a tour pro-shot because that's her original tour act 2 gown. I don't know if they have given her a totally new wardrobe for Broadway, because pro-shots haven't been released of Ashford and Block together which will tell… unless they photoshop Annaleigh into the original tour pictures as Kendra… which considering circumstances… could happen… but the tour costumes were made with a lesser budget ($10 million) than the Broadway budget ($14 million)and would not necessarily look up to the caliber of the higher budget Broadway costumes (look at Carole Kane's red and gold entrance gown vs. Carole Shelley's).

I'm not sure if other instances of this have happened... but Idina had an entirely new wardrobe for London, but it may just be because her original act 2 gown is on display at the Gershwin, but with the small changes in design in the three years of re-designing the show has gone through, the original Broadway designs may have been out of place with the new London designs.

I'm thinking they may follow suit when most actresses make a production transfer, but I'm not sure. If it's from a lesser to a higher budget production as a replacement, maybe, but from a higher to lesser, I’m not sure, because production photos haven't been taken in the instance of most transfers because usually the two stars have pictures taken of themselves together (Megan and Eden, Ana and Kate..) at least for Shoshana because she is the only Broadway Elphaba not to originate another production and the only two Glindas she has been with are Jennifer Laura and Megan… and she and Megan took the tour together. Eden recieved a whole new wardrobe for LA, but it looks like she kept her standby gown for her tour appearance, and her Broadway stint. Kristy transferred from Broadway as a standby to the tour and then Chicago and those three were pretty much carbon copies of each other, and wouldn't have been time for her to have new costumes made for the tour stint and Chicago follwed pretty quickly, but usually new costumes are made for the entire cast when a new production is mounted, but there are no production photos of her for either the New York or tour stints.. so a comparison to her Chicago gown can’t be made.

Anyway, it's STAPHANIE’S tour gown and her original act 2 makeup for the tour was much softer than the current Elphaba act 2 design. In contrast to the act 1 makeup which hasn’t changed for any production, Elphaba now wears very dark lipstick in act 2, and her eyes are much smokier (except for the London production, where makeup seems to be the only thing not subtly changed...). BUT, it's a tour publicity shot... not photoshopped, not a new photo call.

The only way we’ll know about Steph or Annaleigh's changes for Broadway is when production shots of the two of them come out. And with WICKED’s website currently being totally overhauled… the galleries are down, and it usually takes them about two months to put up new photos of new casts... but who knows now...

In terms of the broadway.com shots though…

Annaleigh: personal photo call, photoshopped... hopefully...
Stephanie: re-used tour shot.

End of story.

that's a really big mic...
Updated On: 10/27/07 at 05:15 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
UglyBetty Profile Photo
UglyBetty
#60re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:31pm

thank you popular.

Craww
#62re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:35am

If they're going to use photoshopping as a shortcut they need to hire someone with a modicum of talent.

outdamnwench
#63re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 2:38am

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 02:38 AM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#64re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 1:59pm

The fact that you made that long of a post included with a breakdown of any dress any Glinda has worn, seriously is cracking me up. Updated On: 10/28/07 at 01:59 PM

DramaLady2010
#65re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 3:50pm

why....does any of this conversation matter?
it's a picture.
leave it be.

Pianist3912
#66re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:20pm

I find it impressive, and so would any costume designer, too. Just because it's Wicked does not mean analyzing the production itself is worthless. I would think that a lot of people would disagree with your sentiment if it were, say, analyzing Into the Woods' costume motifs and changes per production...

Geridith Profile Photo
Geridith
#67re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/28/07 at 11:09pm

Anyone happen to get a vid of Annaleigh at Wicked Day today? I was so bummed, I literally rounded the corner on the last note of "Popular". But I did get to see "For Good" :)

silencio1014 Profile Photo
silencio1014
#68re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:24am

i JUST found some videos from Wicked Day, including the performances:

http://www.wickedday.com/video.html

how cute is she? i love her =D
Updated On: 10/29/07 at 12:24 AM

maya5892 Profile Photo
maya5892
#69re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:34am

ahh i love it! and annaleigh! she's amazing.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#70re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:05am

She is ADORABLE!

And Lisa is great too... looks like a great time.

Craww
#71re: Annaleigh in Wicked
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:57am

Aw, Annaleigh's Popular. It's like an interfering teenage daughter trying to give a makeover to the mom she's so embarrassed by.

I like Annaleigh so much. I wish they'd waited about a year and cast her opposite someone comparable in age.

Videos