Londonskyguy
#51re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:11pm

Maybe that was the point?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#52re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:24pm

Maybe they're going for chic? Sleek? That sorta thing.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#53re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:37pm

Yuck. I don't like it. It lacks the Mama Rose spark.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#54re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:40pm

She's Broadway's greatest star?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#55re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:01am

Why do any of you even care? It's Gypsy. It's Patti Lupone. Been around Broadway for 30 years and to this day have never seen hordes of people rushing to a theater because of the marquee or avoiding one because of it. The box office opens tomorrow. By the time the show opens all the frames will be full of reviews and pictures including the big billboard on the front the theater. No matter how plain it is, it still beats that ridiculously ugly musical instrument, feather boa, kleig light mess of a logo the Bernadette Peters production had.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#56re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:02am

I just don't see how ANYONE with a Broadway infused marketing brain could think:

PATTI LUPONE + GYPSY = DARK BLUE!

It's just boring as all heck.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:05am

I think it looks FINE. But I don't get the dark blue either. I think it would be awesome if just the PATTI LUPONE Gypsy lit up at night, like someone said earlier.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#58re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:05am

Well, they did eventually change Bernadette's to something more fitfully glorious.

It went from this:

re: Gypsy marquee

To THIS:

Smart move.

Hopefully the producers of this production will make a similar move.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

RyToast1
#59re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:06am

I miss this...

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#60re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 9:36am

"It looks like a fake revival slapped together simply so Patti can say she played Rose on Broadway. It's so bland and careless you really get the sense that the production's reason for existing is not to give the audience something meaningful but to make the star's dream come true"

^^IT IS!!!!!!!!!^^

broadwaybaby086
#61re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:00am

It's hideous. They need to pull a Grey Gardens and change the artwork, except in this case it would be doing the production a favor, not a disservice.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#62re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:40am

Apparently a giant version of the poster is going up right now in Times Square. If that's the case, this is definitely the final artwork.

RyToast1
#63re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:45am

My heart is breaking even more, I'll definitely be walking to Times Square today on my break to see it for real.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#64re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:48am

I'm going to go look when I get out of class.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#65re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:27am

BORING

....but the world goes 'round

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#66re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:45am

Has anyone seen the Marquee in Times Square yet?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

RyToast1
#67re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:49am

I'm going at 3, I'll take pictures!

Brick
#68re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:02pm

It looks like a fake revival slapped together simply so Patti can say she played Rose on Broadway. It's so bland and careless you really get the sense that the production's reason for existing is not to give the audience something meaningful but to make the star's dream come true"

^^IT IS!!!!!!!!!^^ "

Um... For real? I think if it was so easy getting a production mounted of anything she wanted to do, she wouldn't have waited until she was 60. If it's anyone's vanity project, it is Laurents'. He is why it is happening. He's got the power, he's got the vanity, now he's got the last GYPSY on Bway in his life being one he likes.

I'm waiting for the board to blame Patti for global warming.

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#69re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 12:07pm

Yawn on this one....VERY underwhelming, but I think the show speaks for itself. Lupone....Gypsy....nuff said.

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#70re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 1:20pm

I'm waiting for the board to blame Patti for global warming.
over the course of a minute, I giggled, thought "but she drives a Prius!" and then laughed at myself for coming up with an actual response.

anyway, I...find the artwork rather bland, but as amoni said, it's not going to stop people from seeing the show. I know I already spent an obscene amount of money on tickets. artwork doesn't decide whether I'll see the show, but it does factor in when I buy posters for my room. poor Patti LuPone Gypsy.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#71re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 3:51pm

I guess nothing is up yet, uh?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

RyToast1
#72re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 4:08pm

Here ya go...

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#73re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 4:11pm

OK, that's large.

neddyfrank2
#74re: Gypsy marquee
Posted: 1/28/08 at 4:12pm

It would be cooler if GYPSY was in actual lights, not just painted ones, but real ones.

Videos