pixeltracker

A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?- Page 3

A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?

#50re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 2:17pm

I'm really glad that the cast got to be on Dancing with the Stars. Michael Berresse all the way! (Yes I realize he wasn't there haha just a shoutout to his old role) I mean, while I even noticed there were some problems with Mario, he was the reason why they got to be on the show. I knew something was fishy about this performance... the whole cast being in LA at 9 p.m.? Hm not so possible haha but it was good editing :)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#51re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 2:20pm

Forgive me if I missed something but there is nothing wrong with what those 2 nimrods said about Mario and the A CHORUS LINE section. Execute them immediately for only wanting to see the "One" number. In all fairness, I'm quite sure that the majority of the mainstream audience wanted to see just that AND only that. Gold costumes and top hats and all.

re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?

MyLife
#52re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 2:29pm

The point I was really talking about, sorry if it wasn't clear, was the comment they made about the opening sequence about being "new and boring." Just because they were unfamiliar with it does not make it boring, and we all know the sequence isn't knew. As far as I know, the opening sequence is just as recognizable as the One sequence (or is that because I am familiar with theater and the show itself).

Anyway, this is an example as to why stunt casting doesn't work.
People like this see the clip and are satisfied with seeing "One." They aren't going to run out and buy tickets if that is all they wanted to see. The rest of the show is new and boring, who wants to spend money on it? Instead of thinking the show seems interesting and is worth seeing, they dismiss it.

BrodyFosse123
#53re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 2:46pm

For the reality of what it was, DANCING WITH THE STARS only could give Mario and A CHORUS LINE just a few short minutes to advertise their Broadway show.

If you're familiar with the basics of advertising and marketing, you promote what audiences are familiar with. If you only have a few seconds or a few minutes, you don't showcase something that'll confuse audiences -- in other words, a number which they don't know. ANNIE will always use "Tomorrow"; WICKED will always use "Defying Gravity" and/or "Popular"; THE PRODUCERS will always use "I Wanna Be a Producer", etc.

"One" IS the only number from A CHORUS LINE the masses are familiar with -- the target audience of DANCING WITH THE STARS. Having Mario and the dancers do that minute of the "I Hope I Get It" dance combination not only confused them, but killed any thrill by having them do that minute of the "One" number. If they just did an abridged version of the "One" number with the gold costumes, etc. -- it would have blown the roof off the place.

Another case of missed opportunity as the consensus is out that their showcase failed miserably last night.

WE (Broadway fans) appreciated seeing a glimpse of Mario's 'dancing', but the masses were still figuring out what was that 'new' dance they were doing at the beginning. By the time the "One" section started, it was over.

MyLife
#54re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 3:05pm

Good point Brody, and now I completely agree. They should have done all of One like they did on The View, that way at least the world could have seen Mario at the point :) However, I see why they did a bit of the opening. They wanted to show that Mario was "the lead," and him shouting "A 5, 6, 7, 8" showed that. In "One," as the number is the show suggests, Mario is just another chorus member just like everyone else in the cast.

I was just upset because this is how the new production can get away with changing the original choreography because people don't want to see the show for the artistic value, but for the star and familiarity level. It's a shame, but, you're right, I was more excited to see the opening number and was more than happy that the camera focused in on other members of the cast.

I guess you take it for what it is. Hey, it was better than nothing, and if it sells one more ticket, it was worth something.
Updated On: 5/7/08 at 03:05 PM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#55re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 3:34pm

I really enjoyed the performance!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#56re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:26pm

Who was dancing the part of Cassie? It looked like a brunette.

BrodyFosse123
#57re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:37pm

It looked like a brunette because it WAS a brunette: Jessica Lea Patty was Cassie in the ensemble last night.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#58re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 5:19pm

I was reading this very string, when my assistant walked into my office, saw the string and said "did you see Mario Lopez on DWTS last night? He was terrible. His legs were all wrong, and he looked ridiculous." This is from someone who has never seen ACL, and has only seen about 2 Broadway shows.

Wabitfwee
#59re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:31am

Ah... variety

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#60re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:34am

he needs to be more comfortable with the dancing. he's very stiff and just needs to relax.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

twitchy+bitchy+manic
#61re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:39am

God, Jessia Lee Goldyn always stands out to me in these videos and photos. I'm just worried that she'll be gone from the show before I get a chance to see it. Anyone know if she's gone by july 24th?

Wabitfwee
#62re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:05pm

Wadyamean?

BrodyFosse123
#63re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:15pm

Here are some sharper/crisper photos... and yes, you're welcome!

As for those Nick Adams photos. I'm keeping those to myself. re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?

Wabitfwee
#64re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:19pm

Thank you

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#65re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/12/08 at 12:56am

has Natalie left the show? It seems like it's always one of the understudies... either Deone or Courtney, I can't tell... she was in the pro-shots of Mario's opening and on DWTS... anyone know why?

that's a really big mic...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#66re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:44am

Natalie hasn't left the show, but that's Michelle Aravena in the pictures.

Mario looks... awkward. I hope he gets more comfortable with the choreography.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#67re: A CHORUS LINE on DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Posted: 5/12/08 at 4:19pm

God, Jessica Lee Goldyn always stands out to me in these videos and photos

I know what you mean. Look at her doing that leap!

Videos