pixeltracker

Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!- Page 3

Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#50re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:28am

re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

jsg, I love Leslie and Patti...but can you blame Patti for doing this? Any star would have done the same thing. That's show biz. Leslie will survive.

Leslie has balls of steel to have even done her tribute concert while Patti is still with us.

As a consolation to Leslie, maybe should do THE PATTI ALBUM: Favorite songs by famous Pattis. In addition to Lupone, Leslie could sing Patti LaBelle, Patti Page, Patti Andrews (of the Andrews Sisters), Patti Austin, Sandi Patti, Patti Smith, Adelina Patti and Sisseretta Jones (known as "The Black Patti").

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 04:28 AM

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#51re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 8:13am

PalJoey, do not presume how I feel about any performer unless you know me, and you don't.

Name calling is abhorred on this board if I remember, so would you grow up, and respect others' views?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#52re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 8:18am

on to more pressing matters: I hope the CD booklet has more silly pictures of Patti in her tuxes.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#53re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 10:17am

Ad Lick It expressed my thoughts exactly. This is going to make $750 and a sandwich for anybody involved.

It is too bad that Leslie's show wasn't preserved in some way; it was a great show.

But truthfully, would you rather have Rufus's re-creation of Judy at Carnegie Hall or would you rather have Judy's? If Judy's hadn't been released, and she gave Rufus permission to do his show, then he announced he was releasing an album, you don't think she might have thought to herself "Hmmm, wait a minute . . ."

I don't presume to tell you how you feel about a performer, but your posts on this topic do smack of the heartfelt anti-LuPonism that's frequently encountered on this board.

And may I point out that if you don't want others guessing at your motivations, perhaps you shouldn't guess at Patti's?

Just saying . . .
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 10:17 AM

Jake2
#54re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:24pm

"It is too bad that Leslie's show wasn't preserved in some way; it was a great show."

Leslie's final two performances were audio recorded (possibly video as well) with the intention for a release. By the end of Leslie's run, her interpretations of the songs were unbelievably moving. (Vocally, Leslie was going for notes that Patti did not attempt). I believe there is room for both recordings, but even if Leslie's remains shelved, I can guarantee you that this girl is only just beginning. Those of you who know her talent know what she is capable of and what kind of stellar career she has ahead of her.

RiffIt Profile Photo
RiffIt
#55re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:37pm

No question Leslie is among the most gifted actors or singers of her generation, arguably the most and is in the comedic league of Nathan Lane, Jackie Hoffman and the like.

LEStheatreGuy
#56re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:54pm

I wonder if Patti would let Leslie do the show now that they could sell Patti's CD in the lobby...

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#57re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 8:35pm

LEStheatreGuy, LuPone placed legal obstructions to Kritzer's ability to release her version of the Les Mouches material.

Look, I love LuPone as a performer and I will be one of the first to run out and buy this CD.

But imagine yourself in Kritzer's shoes: you were promised that your act would be recorded and released. That was what Jake2 was alluding to. All was set to go when LuPone got wind of it and put and end to those plans. And then the very same people who recorded Kritzer's performances cut a back alley deal with LuPone (partly due to the interest generated by Kritzer's act) to get LuPone's version of the Les Mouches show released instead, leaving Kritzer in the dust in the process.

How would you feel if you if that happened to you? Yes, this is showbusiness, but Kritzer is a person too who has feelings and would understandably get hurt by the situation. No one likes to get stabbed in the back. (Maybe some the earlier posters in this thread find that sort of thing admirable). I don't care how steely your balls are. That kind of thing hurts.

LuPone could have had royalties of some sort paid to her or a cut of the sales of Kritzer's CD as part of a compromise, but those were not up for discussion.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#58re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 8:43pm

This is show business. It's a tough business. You get burned/rejected, and you move on. It's the art of the business. I doubt Kritzer is sitting around every night crying because she couldn't release her CD imitating LuPone. I am sure Kritzer would be better off releasing a CD of her own anyway. I doubt LuPone prevented her from ever releasing anything.

And you are very silly if you think LuPone would just take royaltes instead of having her own original real version released. You would have to be crazy to think a performer would prefer to have their imitation released instead of their original work.
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 08:43 PM

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#59re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/16/08 at 12:49am

Believe what you want, ljay. You are the "silly" and "crazy" one for continuing to delude yourself into believing that LuPone is incapable of preventing Kritzer and Ghostlight from releasing Kritzer's performances on CD. It's amazing how the mere threat of litigation makes people act in certain ways. Truly.

The one thing that I do agree with in your post is that Kritzer is better off releasing her own material, but at the same time, I wager that you have no idea what kind of emotional toll that backstabbing did to Kritzer. Even at her performance at Splash on Monday night, she made not so veiled comments about how she'll never do another show like the Les Mouches show because she was royally screwed by the experience.

Be it showbusiness or Wall Street, there are honorable ways of doing business, and, while I will always admire her as a performer, it's unfortunate that LuPone resorted to these tactics to get what she wants.

Like I said, I will be glad to hear the original recordings of LuPone's Les Mouches performances, and perhaps one day, Leslie Kritzer will have the opportunity to release her own version of the show that was the hit of the 2006-2007 cabaret season.

But get real. LuPone did not get to where she is today without throwing her weight around. It's just upsetting to me that she did it to someone who adored, admired and respected her.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#60re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/16/08 at 10:09am

I am not going to argue about this anymore. It's hopeless.

BUT I hope what you are saying doesn't mean we won't be able to see LuPone and Kritzer star as mother and daugther in THE RINK, like so many people want. Perfect casting. re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#61re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/16/08 at 4:50pm

Wow. My jaw is on the floor. I had given up long ago at even the thought of this ever happening.

Now we know why LuPone vetoed the Kritzer release.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#62re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/16/08 at 5:58pm

I think the thing to remember here is that this is Patti's work. It doesn't belong to Leslie. She didn't even create the show at Joe's Pub; that was Ben Rimalower. Of course her extraordinary talent brought it to life, but it's not as though it was a project that she originated and nurtured and made happen that was then taken away from her.

She was wonderful; a disk from her would have been wonderful. But I think the world prefers Patti's, and I think it's naive to think there's room for both.

Ultimately I think things happen the way they are supposed to happen. During Patti's big Gypsy-led year, she'll remind the world what a wonderful singer she was in the 80s, and Leslie will continue to construct a career of her own and on her own.

I personally wish them both well. I don't see the need to be calling karma down on anyone's head.

Updated On: 8/16/08 at 05:58 PM

RiffIt Profile Photo
RiffIt
#63re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/17/08 at 12:15pm

LOL. Ben Rimlower is Patti LuPone at Les Mouches.

Calm, down, flamers, I know Reginald didn't mean that...

Videos