pixeltracker

Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY- Page 3

Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#51re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:59pm

It's not much. Just me going crazy in the Neil Simon, the cutain call/speech, and then all the stage door fun.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#54re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:01am

It's unfortunate. Because there are a lot of good posts in this thread about the final performance.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#58re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:07am

Guys, the entire night just hit me and I am literally crying my eyes out!

re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

I had such an amazing night. I have never been so star struck in my life, and that was just the folks sitting in the audience! I love this show more than words can describe, and I would give anything to see it one last time with tonight's cast.

Simply amazing.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#59re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:08am

I wish I could have been there but I didn't win the lottery. I would have gotten an advance ticket if I hadn't just witnessed (for the first time) how great the show was this past Friday.

Lottery was pretty crazy and it killed me that some people who won the lottery didn't even really want to be there. A**holes.

skander2 Profile Photo
skander2
#61re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:09am

oh no! what makes you think that?

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#62re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:12am

well, curtain call and You Can't Stop the Beat!

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#63re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:26am

verynewyorkcurious, I agree. There were a few lotto winners who were practically comatose when their name was called. Show some excitement, people!

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#65re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:50am

The show sounded AMAZING!!!

Updated On: 1/5/09 at 12:50 AM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#66re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 12:59am

Just got back to DC after watching this afternoon's performance. What an amazing afternoon. It was great seeing all the Hairspray Alum. I didn't see Sarah Jessica Parker, but I saw Matthew Broderick during intermission. I also ran into Adam Shankman, but at the time I couldn't place why he looked so familiar!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

zamedy
#50re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 10:48am

Yes.. crazy. What is going on with this thread? You can't read any of the posts!!! Grrrr!

Yes JP! I saw you in line too! The stage door was understandibly crazy. My friend and I had to leave about the time Constantine came out. He seemed sooo nice. Who else came out? Who else did you get?

zamedy
Posted: 1/5/09 at 10:49am

Okay... the above thread worked so let me try to repost my original from last night.
-----------------------------------------
I'll apologize in advance if I ramble a little. I just got home from the 6 and a half hour drive back from NYC and I am absolutely exhausted. Yes... more than 12 hours spent in my car today all to see the final performance of one of the best musicals... EVER. And let me just say, it was absolutely worth every gallon of gas, every lost hour of sleep and every single-finger salute I got from good 'ol Tri-State drivers.

First off... it was great to see and meet so many fellow Broadwayworld.com'ers. Everyone is so nice and sweet and was so excited to be a part of a day none of us will ever forget. From the moment the pit started playing "Good Morning, Baltimore" you knew the audience was going to make this day even more magical. A lot of people have already said this so I'll try to be brief.
-Entrance applause and cheering for every cast member. It was nuts. I got chills when everyone cheered for all the Council Kids when their silhouettes appeared in GMB, and then when we saw them for the first time.
-Harvey's entrance - also HUGE applause. Wow. Totally different show with him.
-Lots of standing o's... all well deserved. Were a lot of cast members crying during "I Know Where I've Been"? It was hard to tell from my seat. It looked like Charlotte was tearing up. Was Constantine a wreck? Loved how the orchestra let us stretch out the standing O after that song. Charlotte seemed to be mouthing "thank you" and "Hallelujiah" to the audience.
-Speaking of Constantine.. my new favorite Link. I love this guy. And wow...those legs. Everything about him. Saw him at the stage door after. He was SOOO nice to the HUGE crowd of fans. So awesome.
-I noticed Marissa choking up a few times during the show. Her "GMB Reprise" was especially touching. She acts the role better than ANYONE. ANYONE. LOVED her "White House" line (which also got a standing O).
-And finally, YCSTB was just...wow. That song is just the best finale in the history of Broadway is... and Sunday.. wow. I'm at a loss for words. The whole cast was just feeding off all that energy. The audience was dancing in their seats. And yes, even the ushers were doing the choreography in the aisles (I heard them at intermission saying how much they're going to miss this show). So many people were videotaping YCSTB...including the ushers!! Haha. Good.

And the final curtain call.. WOW. So incredible to see that stage FILLED with so many past cast members (Shoshona, Kerry, Laura Bell, Jackie Hoffman, Linda Hart, Paul Vogt, George Wendt, Shannon During, Kathy Brier, the past Links).. and the entire creative team. It speaks volumes about this show and this company and what it means and has meant to so many people. What a way to send it off. And Harvey's goodbye speech was spot on.

Thank you, HAIRSPRAY for one helluva sendoff. I just start thinking of what happened in that theatre today and I grin from ear to ear. Quite simply, I will always remember this day as one of the happiest in my life.

burnsy Profile Photo
burnsy
#52re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 11:02am

It was a treat to see the stage filled with Hairspray family. I saw Cassie Levy, my favorite Penny, and Aaron Tveit, my favorite Link. It brought back memories.

I've seen Hairspray more than 30 times over the years and it was really sad to see it closed......

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#53re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 11:05am

Photo Coverage: 'HAIRSPRAY' Goodbye To Baltimore!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#50re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/5/09 at 11:51pm

I can't even describe yesterday. It was so surreal. I got there at about 12:00 to try the lotto and I don't think I've ever seen it so busy. After the lotto and after everyone started clearing out, I was just kind of standing around. I got interviewed for some internet Broadway thing... I forget what it was called.

I gave a letter to Marissa JW on Saturday night and Ryan O'Connor came out the stage door after I was interviewed and gave me a poster signed by Marissa. And then he gave me a poster for my friend and... you might want to ask HIM how that went. Then the cast (past and present) started showing up. It was really crowded and a lot of people were getting autographs and pictures.

I was sitting next to Mark O'Donnell and I was speechless. I just patted his arm... hahaha. Across from me were David Rockwell, Shoshana Bean, Kerry Butler, Laura Bell, Jackie Hoffman, Jenn Gambatese, and a few more others. They were rocking out the whole time; singing and dancing along. It was truly a sight to see.

Once "Good Morning Baltimore" started, the audience went insane and leapt to their feet. It was unbelievable and I started getting teary-eyed.

There were too many standing ovations to count and the whole performance was nothing like I've ever seen before. The Dynamites in"Welcome to the 60s" (Reprise) were SO incredible, especially Judine. They deservedly got a huge standing ovation. The cast was having so much fun and many were crying throughout many of the numbers. I loved when Tevin sang, "This is my last time singing this... You better Run and tell... THATTTTTTTTT."

It was so incredible to see everyone embracing during intermission. Marc Shaiman was crying, which was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. Mathew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker were there, but everyone was more happy to see past cast members and the creative team.

"I Know Where I've Been" has never been better and it was hard to watch the cast. Charlotte started to shake in the end because she was trying not to cry while giving an incredible performance.

"You Can't Stop The Beat" was like nothing I've ever seen. Seeing the cast in the aisle next to me was so great and Zev was so adorable with his little tux with "It Takes 3" written on the back. From the last chorus on I have never cried and smiled so much at the same time.

Sorry that was so long... I will never forget that afternoon. It was the most splendiferous experience of my life.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."
Updated On: 1/5/09 at 11:51 PM

zamedy
Posted: 1/6/09 at 12:34am

Hey BroadwayEnthusiast2... I was six rows up in the mezz so I couldn't see anything that was going on in the orchestra section. All I do know is that it was pretty wild up in the mezz/balcony too... many diehard 'Spray fans cheering and giving standing O's. So past cast members were dancing in the aisles during YCSTB? Wow. Sweet. It was also hard to see who was crying and who was not crying. I saw Marissa get emotional at one point during one of the songs in Act 1 (can't remember right now). She also seemed to get very emotional during GMB Reprise. And someone else said the whole cast was practically in tears during IKWIB. I LOVED how they got such a huge, long standing O after that one. Truly amazing.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#52re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 6:49am

re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

Here they are loading out the Har-Dee_Har hut yesterday.

Damn!

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#53re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 9:18am

Oh my goodness, they waste no time! That's sad to see. re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

That reminds me, the Har-De-Har Hut contraption didn't work as expected during the final performance. The ball was late falling through the mouse tubes, and the audience knew this and "aww"'d at the sight.

Also, in the dodgeball scene, after the gym teacher says "Yeah, go for his nuts!", they used the "reeer" cat sound effect usually heard when the chicken falls to the floor. It's the same sound effect heard at the very end of the bonus "Blood on the Pavement" number on the cast recording.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#54re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 9:37am

Wow...just reading through everyones posts - sounds like an amazing performance!
Although I never got a chance to see Hairspray on Broadway, I did see it twice on tour, and it was fabulous! It's a great show, and a lot of fun....
I'm sad to see it go, but I am glad the last performance was so memorable!

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

DottieD'Luscia
#55re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 10:09am

SNLMedia, and don't forget Kevin Meany's mustache coming off during his speech in "You Can't Stop the Beat".

By the way, was Shannon Durig there? She's another person I didn't see.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 1/6/09 at 10:09 AM

zamedy
#56re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 10:37am

Hey Dottie... Yes... Shannon was there, and it was GREAT to see her. She was up there with everyone else for the curtain call. In fact, she was right in the first row of alumni, standing next to Laura Bell Bundy. She looked great!! Love her! I still can't believe how many former cast members came back. Much more than RENT. It just goes to show how special this show is to so many people.

DottieD'Luscia
#57re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 10:46am

Zamedy, you're good!! I had no idea you were at the final performance of Rent. I was standing next to Kathy Brier outside after the show. I saw a lot of former cast members during intermission. Did you leave your seat during intermission?

zamedy
#58re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 1:03pm

Yes.. left my seat to go to the bathroom. It was crazy.. but everyone was in such a great mood.

And I wasn't at the final performance of RENT. In fact, I've never seen it. My comment was just based on video of the final curtain call posted on another site. HAIRSPRAY and AVENUE Q are the only shows I'd really care to see on closing night.

PennyLou19622
#59re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 5:00pm

DRUMROLE PLEASE......[jokes]

FELICIA'S LAST HAIRSPRAY REVIEW:

Firstly, I would just like to mention ALL of the people I saw at the show, during intermission, before the show, after the show and ON stage with the current cast...
Aaron Tveit (Link), Hayley Podschun (Tammy), Jacqui Polk (swing) , Chester Gregory (Seaweed), Caissie Levy (Penny), Andrew Rannels (Fender?), Michael Cunio (Corny/Sketch?), Shoshana Bean (OBC Shelley), Laura Bell Bundy (OBC Amber), Kerry Butler (OBC Penny), Leslie Goddard (Brenda), Shannon Durig (Tracy), Carly Jibson (Tracy), Katrina Diderson (Vegas TRacy), Hollis Scarborough (Vegas Brenda), Ashley Spencer (Amber), Van Hughes (Sketch), Katie Leonard (OBC LouAnn), Jackie Hoffman (OBC FAF), Leslie Kritzer (Shelley), Linda Hart (OBC Velma?) Michelle Kittrell (Brenda), Rusty Mowery (swing?), Jenn Gamby (OBC Brenda), Candice Woods (dynamite), Paul Vogt (Edna), George Wednt (Edna), Aubrey O'Day (Amber, snicker snicker sneer sneer). Those were all of the cast members I could IDENTIFY, but there were many more there as well. Some very important people that had to do with Hairspray: Margo Lion (producer), Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (lyrics&music), Jerry Mitchell (choreographer), Bernie Telsey (casting), Thomas Meehan and Mark O'Donnell (book), Jack O'Brein (director), and William Ivey Long (costumes). and then randomly, I saw Matthew Broderick, who was apparently there with Sarah Jessica Parker...and movie director/choreographer Adam Shankman!

Secondly, I had the pleasure of meeting and as I said, seeing many past cast members. [b]Before[/b] the show I met Margo Lion and she asked how many times I have seen the show, I said today, the final, will be my 13th. She said "13 is my lucky number"..and that's how she signed my CD booklet! I met Kerry Butler (who I saw in Xanadu) pre show, she signed my CD booklet and we took a picture. I met Laura Bell Bundy (who I saw in Legally Blonde), she signed and took a picture with me as well. Both extreme sweethearts! I also met Judie Somersville (who was an OBC dynamite and stuck with the show for i think all of the 6.5 years...she may have had a few breaks inbetween?) and she was kind enough to sign my CD booklet as well.

[b]ACT 1:[/b] Good Morning Baltimore got a HUGE applause. HUGE. Thundering. Marissa got one, the ensemble got one as they were shown on their towers...or as i like to call them, shadow towers..since all you see is their shadows! Then when they made their actual entrance, even bigger applause. You could see on all of their faces they were taking the moment in. It was certainly different sitting up in center mezz (row F) than sitting in the front row! Out of the 13 times I have seen the show, this being my 13th, I have sat front row 10 times! The last time I sat any where but front row was on June 27, 2007. I have never sat in the mezz before either, so it was a fun experience! The seats were amazing. I was DEAD center. Huge applause for The Nicest Kids in Town entry. Niki came onstage and her line is "IM HURRING TRACY, BUT MY MOTHER SAYS IM NOT ALLOWED TO PERSPIRE"...she came onstage and got a ginormous applause and she choked up a little, hesitated a few seconds to say her line (due to the applause) and she looked like she was going to cry, but she held strong and got through it. No visible tears from anyone really until....Good Morning Baltimore reprise (in act 2), from Marissa Jaret Winokur. Harvey got a standing Ovation and stood there with his iron for a a good 3 minutes waiting for everyone to stop, he's such a goof ball..he was playing around with the iron and Susie was standing there with a 'alrighty' smile..but a funny 'alrighty' smile. After everyone was done with their entrances, the thunderous applauses sort of stopped until "Welcome To the Sixties". The Dynamites got a standing ovation, and I expected them to. I stood up because personally, they are my favorite part of that song. "Run and Tell that" also got many applauses. I was really happy because Niki delivered her line "imagine, being invited places by COLLOOOO-RRRRDDD PEOPLEEEEEEEE" exactly how I like it, lmao. Lately, she hasn't done it as funny as she use to, but she did it for closing..which made me happy. She basically carried out a funny tune while saying that line. Tevin was on FIRE. He has always been one of my favorite actors in that show. At the end of "Run and Tell That", he said
something along the lines of "this is the last time im singing this, so you KNOW you better run and tell that. tell everyone you know, your mom, dad, sisters, brothers, EVERYONE to run and tell that". i was dying laughing, and so was everyone else, including the cast. Then a huge round of applause for Charlo's entrance as Motormouth. Nothnig else really to say about act 1. Everyone was on top of their game and I just had an absolute blast.

[b]INTERMISSION:[/b] I ran downstairs to meet up with my friend Tucker, who was stagedooring with me pre-show as well. We hung out all over the place, but mainly between right orchestra and center orchestra. WHY?..because ALL previous cast members were sitting in that area. During intermision I saw LBB, Kerry Butler, Matthew Broderick, Chester Gregory (got a picture with him), Caissie Levy, Shoshana Bean, Jacqui Polk, Shannon Durig (got a picture with her), Candice Woods, Jackie Hoffman, Jenn Gambetese, Marc Shaiman (got a picture with him), Michelle Kittrell, William Ivey Long, Marc O'Donnell, Rusty Mowery and a few others. Honestly, no one cared that SJP and Matthew Broderick were there, EVERYONE was interested in seeing the cast members, (Well, everyone that recognized them, that is). It was so much fun seeing everyone because they were excited to see eachother too! Hugs and kisses left and right..it was one big Hairspray family reunion and it was cool seeing it happen around you. Intermission was ending so I darted back up to my seat to begin act two!

[b]ACT 2:[/b] Curtain rises, an applause, of course! The cast was a hoot. Nothing major went on..I was still overwhelmed with intermission, yes, I'm a nerd and seriously had THEEE best time during intermission. How could I not with meeting so many of my favorite Broadway performers? During "Good Morning Baltimore" reprise Marissa Jaret Winokur started crying, which was very upsetting to see. Timeless to Me was of course hysterical. Harvey and Ken are probably the funniest pair I have ever seen. But, being at the show the previous Friday, and the previous Saturday, nothing was new to me. They did not do any thing over the top that I haven't seen done by them before. It was my 4th? time seeing Harvey. They were unforgettable though! I love how energetic Harvey is, seriously. He is brilliant. Without Love was nothnig over the top either. I mean, it seemed like any other show. Susie actually didn't get a big exit applause, which REALLY surprised me...maybe only a few people clapped..she deserved more. "It's Hairspray", nothing special with that either. Cooties was a hoot. Kate Loprest is by far one of my favorite Amber's ever. The BEST moment with her was with her and Clarke right before "It Takes Two", she laughs at something and clarke mimicks her "ha ha ha ha ha". It really is funny, but I guess you have to be there. They have done it before and it's just great. Connie got such a big entrance pplause for It Takes Two, that when Kate exits and screams "MOTHERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" you could tell she tried screaming over the crowd, it was sort of funny...but anyway....Her Cooties was great, but basically, everyone was waiting for the BIG finale. You Can't Stop The Beat was one of the most powerful numbers that day.
[side note: the orchestra blew the roof off. they were FANTASTIC. the loudest I have ever heard them. They were one of the best parts of the show. Seriously, I'm not a big fan of blonde..but..MAD PROPS to them. hah.]
It was seriously one of the best numbers they have ever performed as a cast. When Marissa says "Television is now and forever more, officially integrated" she changed her line to "television, AND THE WHITE HOUSE...." ROARING APPLAUSE and a standing ovation!......"are now and forever more, OFFICIALLY INTEGRATED". Harvey got a juge applause on his final entrance and Charlo blew eveyrone away with her Solo. It's my favorite part of YCSTB. The applause at the end was REDICULOUS. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. You could tell, from the start of the show that EVERYONE there was there to see their favorite show go. Marissa invited the entire Hairspray family up to dance "You Can't Stop The Beat" and thats when I realized just how many people have been a part of this wonderful show. It was by far the greatest part of the night. Harvey's speech brought tears to many, but not to me. I think I was just overwhelmed with everything, just..flat out, excited to be a part of this historical closing. I was Honored to be a "Hair Hopper". During curtain call, the swing members who did not get to go on for the final show came onstage and took their final bows with the cast. Summer Broyhill, Nicole Powell, Lauren Kling, Annie Funke and Marissa Perry took their bows with the ensemble girls, and Ryan Chotto, Robbie Roby, Blake Hammond and Matt Morgan took their final bows with the ensemble boys. Marissa Jaret Winokur brought her son Zev onstage and OH MY GOD is he the cutest! I have seen him on Ryan's blog before but holy crap is he cute! haha. I'm sure you have all seen the pictures by now of his adorable white tux and pink bowtie. ack, so cute! lol. That's about all I have to say about the show itself. Well done, and I am SOOOO VERY GRATEFUL I was able to be at closing. It was great closure for me, as a fan to have been there. Hairspray is, and will always be, my favorite BRoadway show. I won't Stop The Beat!

[b]STAGEDOOR MADNESS:[/b] not nearly as bad as Laura Bell Bundy's last (dont get me started about that, hah) but considering it was the LAST show, it was insane. The crowd was out to the street. Mostly EVERYONE came out and signed. I FINALLY got to meet Shoshana Bean. Kerry Butler tried to escape, btu was obviously recognized, hah. Everyone looked very handsome and gorgeous because they were all done up for the party! It was certainly a night I will never forget. Thank you Hairspray for..everything.

I hope you all enjoyed my review, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

zamedy
#60re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 10:56pm

Great review PennyLou! And it was great to meet you, too. In fact, it was so awesome to be sitting next to two other HUGE HAIRSPRAY fans (You and FuturePenny). Just perfectly fitting for the night.

Did you enjoy Charlo's last IKWIB? I have to admit, it wasn't as powerful vocally as I've heard the song performed before, but emotionally, it couldn't have been more powerful. I couldn't tell from my seat but several other posters have said she, and most of the cast on stage for the song, were balling or on the brink of it.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#61re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/6/09 at 11:51pm

It was quite an afternoon! My name was the first one called at lotto and I was in shock--definitely shaking in line.

What theme song did Clarke whistle right before the "Miss Baltimore Crabs (reprise)? I know I should know what it was but I can remember.

I couldn't look at Constantine during IKWIB.
Updated On: 1/6/09 at 11:51 PM

Videos