pixeltracker

Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:16pm

What an incredible afternoon! There were several mid-show standing ovations. At the end of "You Can't Stop The Beat," all of the past cast members that were in the audience came up on stage and did the last verse again all together, with the full choreography. Laura Bell Bundy was up there, Linda Hart, Kerry Butler, Aaron Tveit, Andrew Rannells, George Wendt, Paul Vogt, all of the past Tracys, along with Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman, Jerry Mitchell, Thomas Meehan, Mark O'Donnell, and Jack O'Brien. Marissa brought her son up on stage, who was dressed in a little white tux (adorable!). Harvey then gave a very moving speech. And then everyone did the last verse of "You Can't Stop" one last time with Jerry Mitchell downstage facing the cast, and the cast facing the audience.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 07:16 PM

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:21pm

What I would have given to have been there...

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:23pm

Jackie Hoffman was also in the audience, but I'm not sure whether she came up on stage at the end.

Sarah Jessica Parker was there, too.

When Marissa brought her son up on stage, Harvey said to the audience, "That's my grandson."

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

broadwayboy1
#3re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:25pm

I'm glad you had an incredible afternoon, Wanna Be A Foster. I'm sure it will always be a memorable day and a memorable show not only to you, but to all who attended. I wish I could've at least seen Hairspray on Broadway before it closed, but I never had the chance to. Anyway, once again, I'm glad to hear it was an incredible day.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:30pm

As do I. I wish it hadn't closed. I wish it closed after I had seen it. Atleast I still have the OBCR to remember. I also got a few Playbils from when Alexa Vega and Diana DeGarmo where in the show. I love Hairspray and will miss it.

feline0favenueQ Profile Photo
feline0favenueQ
#7re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:13pm

Oh! That's why Aaron was out of N2N today. I forgot he was Hairspray alumni.

I miss Hairspray already!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:17pm

Was Hailey Duff there? It ain't a party withut the Duffster.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#10re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:26pm

HAHA! amayzing TimeSquare3

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#18re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:53pm

I haven't seen the show since 2002 so I am a bit rusty on the book. Other than Marissa's obvious ad-lib "From this moment on, the Corny Collins show....and the White House...are fully integrated", were there any other last-show 'additions'? I don't remember Edna's line about 'I don't know any Asians. A Puerto Rican, maybe', nor do I remember the Jewish bit in 'You're Timeless to Me'.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Wanna Be A Foster
#20re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:56pm

hushpuppy, Harvey added those two ad-libs upon his return to the show a couple months ago.

-Kad

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#21re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:00pm

ETA: Forget it. Updated On: 1/4/09 at 09:00 PM

FuturePenny2
#22re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:05pm

What an incredible, incredible show! This was my 12th time and it SURELY went out with a bang. Wow. I really cannot even talk about it right now haha. I have 20 minutes of video (oops) haha i have the whoooooole finale.

RIP HAirspray, and thank you for an incredible six and a half years.

He's so nurturing! - Penny Pingleton, Hairspray

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#25re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:19pm

"Because Ryan doesn't shill his vlog to everyone."

Uhm, yes, he does...

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=981735#3750676

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=985390#3726914

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=984618#3719914

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#26re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:25pm

As much I know Ryan would love that you guys are talking about him... let's maybe keep this thread about, I donno, Hairspray?

Just sayin'. . .

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#28re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:30pm

Bye and thank you to all the creative people involved with this show. What a wonderful production!!! One of my all time favorites..........Good luck everyone!!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#30re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 9:51pm

That just shows how dumb some people are. A flash doesn't work past 4 feet.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

skander2 Profile Photo
skander2
#35re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:09pm

Overall, how was the performance? Really emotional? Or more on the joyful/funny side? I'm curious to hear.
Updated On: 1/5/09 at 11:09 PM

Wanna Be A Foster
#37re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:11pm

Constantine was getting cat calls during his short shorts scene!

-Kad

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#38re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:12pm

Back onto the original thread subject...

It was an incredible afternoon. From the moment the lights went down before the pre-show announcement, there was infinite love coming from the audience. There was short applause at the start of every song, on every performer's entrance (including every council member), even on some set changes! The reaction on Harvey's first appearance was so huge and long, he had to wait for it to quiet down, and ad-libbed by licking Edna's iron! The orchestra was giving it their all, and from where I was sitting, I could tell they definitely had the volume and the bass turned up extra high for the final performance.

Standing ovations after "Welcome to the 60's", "Run and Tell That", "I Know Where I've Been", and "You Can't Stop the Beat", from what I can remember.

The energy level in the theatre peaked at "You Can't Stop the Beat". I was so excited I was just dancing away in my seat. When they brought everyone in the cast (present and many past) and creative crew onstage for the curtain call reprise, it was almost surreal seeing so many people doing the choreography at once. Jerry Mitchell doing the choreography alongside the cast was an extra treat.

And props to Constantine Rousouli for getting cat calls from the audience during a few of his scenes. re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY

I am going to miss Hairspray a whole lot, but I'm overjoyed that it went out with a bang!

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Updated On: 1/4/09 at 11:12 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#41re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:15pm

Constantine is adorable. Hope to see him back on the boards very soon....

The only review of a show that matters is your own.
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 11:15 PM

gypsy4
#43re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:19pm

I'll always remember this show.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#44re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:23pm

Constantine is HOT!! I saw him on tour.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

viola13
#45re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:33pm

I don't really have anything new to add that hasn't been said, but wow, the energy in the theater was amazing. I'll always remember this show.

Some random observations in response to others in the thread:

Jackie Hoffman did go up onstage.

Marissa's son's jacket said in pink rhinestones "It Takes Two" on the back.

I was sitting next to the family of an actor in the show, and they were filming parts of the show. From the 4th row.

For the most part it was joyful/funny, but during I Know Where I've Been, I almost started crying because SO many of the actors were. Couldn't look at Constantine.

Jerry Mitchell restarting the finale and dancing was adorable.

(PM me please?)

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#48re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:54pm

PM me too please.

I loved this show when I saw it with the original cast, it seemed like one of those rare moments where everyone involved was in the same vibe. . . I saw replacement casts and these experiences ranged from some standouts, to very immature ensemble members breaking character on stage. But I will always remember my first time, from house seats no less, as one of the best theatrical experiences ever.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#51re: Thoughts On The Final Performance Of HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:59pm

It's not much. Just me going crazy in the Neil Simon, the cutain call/speech, and then all the stage door fun.

Videos