pixeltracker

"Hedda Gabler"- 1st Preview/Review- Page 3

"Hedda Gabler"- 1st Preview/Review

Dollypop
#50re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 11:32am

Smaxxie, Ben Brantley can say all the favorable things he wants of Kate Burton's HEDDA and it won't change my mind. I saw it weith several other people who are astute theater-goers. We were all in agreement that it was a dull, ill-conceived production.

Also, remember that Brantly and I weren't at the same performance.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#51re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 2:48pm

I'm not asking you to change your opinion. I posted to correct your statement that it opened around Thanksgiving (it did not), as well as the other side of what "they" were saying about the production and her performance.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#52re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 3:33pm

Woah! Relible stalwarts like Paul Sparks, Peter Stormare and Ana Reeder giving bad performances???

Blame the director.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Dollypop
#53re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 3:51pm

As far as I'm concerned "around Thanksgiving" could be October.
"the word "around" is fairly nebulous.

bleeker
#54re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/9/09 at 2:33pm

any idea if mlp stage-doors after the show?

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#55re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/9/09 at 8:14pm

bump^^^ I bought a WEEDS book based on the show to get autographed :/

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

perfectliar
#57re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/9/09 at 10:52pm

She didn't come out after the first preview.

heo1128
#58re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 1:05am

^Bummer. I was so excited to meet her. However it doesn't surprise me, I don't get the sense that she's the friendliest of celebrities.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#59re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 9:07am

<< She didn't come out after the first preview.
>>

She was probably still in shock !! And wondering what she got herself into.

perfectliar
#60re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 5:12pm

I think the cast actually went immmediately into a rehearsal after the first preview, since no one else came out either (and I waited until 11:30).

wonkit
#61re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 5:14pm

I think I am glad that I have tickets late in the run.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#62re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 5:57pm

perfectliar, that might actually depend on where you waited. That theater is weird because some actors will use the door on 43rd, while others will go out through the lobby onto 42nd.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#63re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/10/09 at 11:46pm

*possible mild spoilers*

I saw today's matinee and it came off as pretty disastrous. To begin, it seemed as if Ian Rickson directed the production with no concept in mind--the whole thing came off as half screwball comedy, half soap opera. Of the principals, only Michael Cerveris as Tesman projected a clear, well-delineated character; the rest of the leading players (save Helen Carey as Aunt Juliane, whom I hardly count as a major character) are out to sea. Mary-Louise Parker is doing her trademark thing and it just doesn't work here. She comes off as an insolent teenager who isn't getting her way, not a high-minded woman stifled by society and zeitgeist. Paul Sparks, oddly using a southern accent, couldn't have projected "passionate intellectual" any less. His seduction of Hedda at the end of Act One was about as fiery as a glacier. And Peter Stormare, whose accent sounded like a mixture of Katharine Hepburn and Groundskeeper Willie, appeared as if he was reciting his part by rote. No attempt at a character, as if he was simply trying to make it to the end of the performance. (How did an actor whose English sounds so poor get cast in a leading role on Broadway? I know he has worked in the US for many years, but his diction just isn't good enough for live theatre.) I won't even mention Ana Reeder's Thea--it seemed like she had been pulled off the street ten minutes before curtain and thrown into the production.

The only thing worth saying about Christopher Shinn's translation/adaptation is that it's unremarkable in nearly every way. In full disclosure, I've never been a fan of his work, but he does have a reputation for being a somewhat daring young writer. His text sounded as if it had been written in the fifties, under a censorship code. Absolutely nothing exciting about it.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 1/10/09 at 11:46 PM

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#64re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:12am

"but otherwise, I can't think of any younger actress before the public today who could begin to do justice to the role. Any suggestions out there?"

Ok Hedda is one of my favorite characters ever and I believe many actresses of today can take on the role. Cate Blanchett was hypnotic and tour de force at BAM a few seasons ago. They should do a film version with her. As for other actresses, I will only name actresses with names big enough to sell a show like Hedda Gabler, Kate Winslet, Tilda Swinton, Emily Watson, Samantha Morton, Julianne Moore, or Helena Bonham Carter. My dream was always to see Joanne Woodward in the role but unfortunately that never came to fruition. She would have been splendid.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#65re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:54am

Tilda Swinton is a fantastic suggestion.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#66re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 2:49pm

I paid $20 and I would not spend a dime more. I have only seen Made for tv/movie versions of Hedda, this adaptation was poorly put together. it is not a shamble but when I look back at my Great White Way experiences this will be nowhere in sight to remember. Michael put the strongest performance though. I also agree the background music was very good

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#67re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 3:07pm

Did she sign your Weeds book?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#68re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 6:05pm

I did see Martha Plimpton deliver a brilliant Hedda in a woefully misconceived production at Steppenwolf in 2001. Her costume changes were performed onstage as techno music played with dressers in full view (not in costume). Nothing else in the costumes or sets depicted anything modern at all. The show was something of a mess, but she was wonderful.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#69re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 8:15pm

NO!!!! i go to see Mary Louise Parker in Hedda, I see Hunter In Spring Awakening. and I end up with NADDA, Zip, zero, but I don't care anymore cause seeing the final performance of Gypsy was sooooo fun and the adrenaline rush was like no other.

By the way I am never seeing two shows on Sunday again. Gypsy 3:00 then SA 7:00 Worst mistake ever. well maybe it would of been smoother if one of the shows weren't closing.

anyways i got through it all and am thoroughly fulfilled

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
Updated On: 1/12/09 at 08:15 PM

Dollypop
#70re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 8:47pm

I haven't had a drink in over two years but reading Bundy's posting made me think I was really buzzed!

What was the lad trying to say?

Updated On: 1/12/09 at 08:47 PM

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#71re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 9:25pm

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Literacy+rate+drops&l=1

why would you look at that. The second result. Korea's Literacy Rate has dropped.

I love being a statistic :)

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule

Dollypop
#72re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/12/09 at 10:13pm

Well woo hoo for you!

That still doesn't help me understand what you were trying to say, gentle friend!

I love being sadistic!

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#73re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/13/09 at 9:54pm

Has anyone figured out where MLP exits the theatre? I caught Laura Linney over the summer out the 43rd street exit. Is that where MLP comes out as well? Has anyone had any luck with getting her autograph? I am seeing the show on Saturday night, and want to know in advance. Thanks!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#74re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:12pm

Honestly, Michael went out the Front entrance, when i went. but I got PETER STORMARE autograph from the back 43rd St. and they came out a hidden door with a big padlock

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule

Dollypop
#75re: 'Hedda Gabler'- 1st Preview/Review
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:50pm

Is the play so bad that they're keeping the actors padlocked in the theater?

Sad. Terribly sad.

Videos