pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 36

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#875FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 6:41pm

broadwayboy223 said: "So Anna and Elsa still don't have an 11o'clock sister duet? Girl bye. I'm sad they didn't do more with this. They could have used some of the cut songs from the movie etc.

"

I know. Like I can't believe they don't have any solos yet. They're the main characters FCOL.

flthrillseeker
#876FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:39pm

Anyone going to the show in Denver this weekend who could pick me up one of the hats they sell? PM me! :)

10086Sundays
#877FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:55pm

"Monster" is definitely meant to be the 11 o'clock number. I just feel in terms of character development, it doesn't work as such. Elsa feels like a monster. We already know this. She's hurt her sister, again, that's bad too. Again, though, information we already have. I think it just didn't feel like it was moving her forward. And then she gets captured. 

After she's captured, the show follows the movie plot basically. 

For the person who asked about the final blizzard, the ensemble is dressed in all white and Hans, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff weave through them as Hans tries to capture both the girls. It needs some work, but then when Anna stops Hans they form a wall with her as they all turn to ice via projections. The effect works better than my description. After that, as everyone thaws, they remove the white garments to reveal their normal costumes underneath.

Updated On: 8/18/17 at 08:55 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#878FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:57pm

Orchestrations are so run-of-the-mill.  Couldn't they have sounded more magical....and maybe folksy or Norwegian-ish?

karatekid1 Profile Photo
karatekid1
#879FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 9:06pm

Monster sounded great, Caissie's last note sounded incredible. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#880FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 9:18pm

Monster is good, but it's not much more. I would've loved a more dramatic Broadway ballad like song, instead of that it just sounded a little too contemporary. The last bit with the chorus and Cassie's notes are insanely good though, so that's a plus. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#881FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/18/17 at 10:05pm

^My thoughts exactly. I honestly didn't like Monster. It sounds like the #1 hit on the billboard. I started to like it when the guards came out bc it started to feel like a good dramatic song.

This was my exact problem with Dangerous to Dream. It's so popish until a specific moment, then begins to sound like a musical theatre song.

The new song that sounds just like Frozen so far is A Bit of You. Hope the others are better

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#882FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:14am

So what's the design like? Is it a massive show? I'm bummed to hear there is no staircase in "Let It Go" only because I loved that moment at Disneyland. The end of Act 1 needs a big dramatic "wow" moment. It's Disney. They need a "how did they do that?" kind of element. 

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#883FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:38am

Yes, I'd love some info about the scale of the show. Are we talking along the lines of Lion King, Aladdin, and Wicked here? Do we ever see an actual ice palace? Also, how much like the film does the Olaf puppet look? How do the differences compare to those between the film and stage versions of, say, Timon and Pumbaa? Thanks to anyone who can  elaborate!

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 01:38 AM

AverageJoe_DenCo
#884FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 3:12am

RippedMan said: "So what's the design like? Is it a massive show? I'm bummed to hear there is no staircase in "Let It Go" only because I loved that moment at Disneyland. The end of Act 1 needs a big dramatic "wow" moment. It's Disney. They need a "how did they do that?" kind of element.

I saw tonight's show and posted a review to Reddit.  To answer your questions the set was nice but did not wow me.  I have not seen other Disney musicals so I don't have anything to compare it to but it did not seem extravagant.  My favorite set was the mountain store / sauna / trading post; it was charming and had a whole different feel than the rest of the musical.  Most of the effects were done by lighting / animations but there were a few exceptions.  While Let It Go started slow (I expected the audience to cheer when Elsa started singing but that was not the case) there was definitely a wow moment towards the end of the song.

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 03:12 AM

AverageJoe_DenCo
#885FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 3:25am

kade.ivy said: "Yes, I'd love some info about the scale of the show. Are we talking along the lines of Lion King, Aladdin, and Wicked here? Do we ever see an actual ice palace? Also, how much like the film does the Olaf puppet look? How do the differences compare to those between the film and stage versions of, say, Timon and Pumbaa? Thanks to anyone who can  elaborate!

- No ice palace.

- I did not see the film but looking at pictures he looks very similar just less cartooney.  There was a puppeteer that had his feet attached and animated his arms with one hand and his head with another.  Along with the donkey he was an audience favorite based on the applause they received at the end. 

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 03:25 AM

DrewJoseph
#886FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 3:46am

I can't belive it's so much like the DCA version. I thought they would go really artistic with this one like the lion king. And what about all that talk of expanding the theatre for the massive sets. Hearing from the people that already saw it, the sets are not massive at all. I mean, no ice castle?! Really? 

disneybroadwayfan22
#887FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:24am

Yikes, my hope and interest are decreasing. Soooooooo, what's the ice palace then?

HennySlay
#888FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:29am

What are the performances like? Any highlights? Would you mind posting the link to your review averagejoe_denco

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#889FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 8:29am

AverageJoe_DenCo said: "kade.ivy said: "Yes, I'd love some info about the scale of the show. Are we talking along the lines of Lion King, Aladdin, and Wicked here? Do we ever see an actual ice palace? Also, how much like the film does the Olaf puppet look? How do the differences compare to those between the film and stage versions of, say, Timon and Pumbaa? Thanks to anyone who can  elaborate!

- No ice palace.

- I did not see the film but looking at pictures he looks very similar just less cartooney.  There was a puppeteer that had his feet attached and animated his arms with one hand and his head with another.  Along with the donkey he was an audience favorite based on the applause they received at the end. 

"

Thanks for the info! This is interesting. I was expecting a large scale show, but I can appreciate subtlety if executed well. Frozen is a story that can be told many ways, and I trust this creative team. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#890FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 8:42am

I thought the whole point of knocking out the back wall of the St. James was to house Elsa's ice palace... 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#891FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:01am

I agree about Montster being pretty repetitive and derivative. The FTFIF reprise had sort of the same problem this song has.  Why does Elsa have to keep telling us "there is so much fear."  This is a common problem of telling not showing.  It an amateurish one as well. At this point in the show if you're going to put a song about her being afraid and accepting her fate it shouldn't be so literal.  She already gets a pass with Let It Go, she needs better lyrics.  In a way this is just derivative of the far superior Made of Stone and lesser No Good Deed.  Telling us literally the issues at hand is the least theatrical way of getting this information to us.  Beast doesn't doesn't just resign himself to being a monster, he shows us he has changed by letting Belle go.

I don't think her accepting her fate as a monster is good enough.  She needs to pivot to something else perhaps counter to the capture, like maybe she goes back to stop the storm and gets caught. Or maybe she actually addresses her other goals in life or guilt of not only freezing the town but maybe letting down the kingdom. 

She needs to stop saying fear and start acting afraid. The movie was much easier because she was in the ice tower for a minute.

finebydesign
#892FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway

I agree about Montster being pretty repetitive and derivative. The FTFIF reprise had sort of the same problem this song has.  Why does Elsa have to keep telling us "there is so much fear."  This is a common problem of telling not showing.  It an amateurish one as well. At this point in the show if you're going to put a song about her being afraid and accepting her fate it shouldn't be so literal.  She already gets a pass with Let It Go, she needs better lyrics.  In a way this is just derivative of the far superior Made of Stone and lesser No Good Deed.  Telling us literally the issues at hand is the least theatrical way of getting this information to us.  Beast doesn't doesn't just resign himself to being a monster, he shows us he has changed by letting Belle go.

I don't think her accepting her fate as a monster is good enough.  She needs to pivot to something else perhaps counter to the capture, like maybe she goes back to stop the storm and gets caught. Or maybe she actually addresses her other goals in life or guilt of not only freezing the town but maybe letting down the kingdom. 

She needs to stop saying fear and start acting afraid. The movie was much easier because she was in the ice tower for a minute.

finebydesign
#893FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#894FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:13am

Y'all it's an out of town tryout with a limited run. Once it's on Broadway with a much longer run, higher ticket prices, and a more permanent venue, they'll probably expand on the set a bit more.

DrewJoseph
#895FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:21am

Could it be they're saving the ice palace for Broadway? Would it fit in the Buell theater at all? I mean, they saved the ending flying carpet for Broadway with Aladdin. It just seems weird to not do it right now. Ofcourse the 'taking out the back wall' for the massive sets was still when Bob Cowley designed it. After that they changed the whole creative team.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#896FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:26am

The St. James has housed quite a few shows with enormous sets (Bullets Over Broadway comes to mind), so when they announced that they were renovating to create even MORE room for Frozen, I definitely envisioned MASSIVE and elaborate sets the likes of which Broadway has not seen before. I am surprised to read that the sets are not bigger.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#897FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:31am

DrewJoseph said: "Could it be they're saving the ice palace for Broadway? Would it fit in the Buell theater at all? I mean, they saved the ending flying carpet for Broadway with Aladdin. It just seems weird to not do it right now. Ofcourse the 'taking out the back wall' for the massive sets was still when Bob Cowley designed it. After that they changed the whole creative team.

"

They had the carpet for the Toronto tryout.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DrewJoseph
#898FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 9:51am

Call_me_jorge said: "DrewJoseph said: "Could it be they're saving the ice palace for Broadway? Would it fit in the Buell theater at all? I mean, they saved the ending flying carpet for Broadway with Aladdin. It just seems weird to not do it right now. Ofcourse the 'taking out the back wall' for the massive sets was still when Bob Cowley designed it. After that they changed the whole creative team.

"

They had the carpet for the Toronto tryout.

"

No, I'm talking about the very end. When Aladdin and Jasmine fly away on the carpet in full light. In Toronto they just walked away with the camel bags. They only used the carpet there in the very dark A whole new world scene. And when they did the flying effect in such bright lights on Broadway it really was mind blowing.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#899FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:00am

I know there'll never be a way to make Olaf less cartoon-y, but that really looks hilarious. It honestly looks like a DCA knock-off. I'll reserve full judgement until I actually go see the show, but my hopes aren't exactly high. I hope they change the puppet when it gets to the Great White Way, because from a current standpoint that is not good.

Videos