pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 37

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#900FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:02am

^Agreed. I'm so worried about this show now.

HERE ARE PICS OF LET IT GO (SPOILERS): 

http://toyboyfan.tumblr.com/post/164367180122/let-it-go

For what it is, the castle is well done. It's beautiful

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 10:02 AM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#901FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:08am

The castle is beautiful though! Let It Go is one of the only scenes I'm not worried for so far. For what it's worth, I'm excited to hear Cassie belt those lyrics!

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#902FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:16am

When I saw those photos, I thought that Tumblr user was duping us until I saw that it is indeed Greg Hildreth and Jelani Alladin onstage...sigh. I know Michael Curry can be more creative than that Olaf puppet. And I guess Anna gets her winter outfit from the movie when they get to Oaken's at the top of Act II? 

DrewJoseph
#903FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:20am

How can the ice castle be beautiful when there is none? It really looks like they just put the DCA and cruise versions together. I just can't believe this is what they came with after they said that they really needed to get this show right and stuff. Is there any chance they're holding something back for broadway? I was so excited for this one FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway

JennH
#904FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:22am

bwayphreak234 said: "I thought the whole point of knocking out the back wall of the St. James was to house Elsa's ice palace... 

"

Exactly what I said. Or at least house all the large sets they have (had?) planned. Unless they're planning something more for that than what we're seeing in Denver, so I suppose we'll have to wait. 

Finebydesign-OH YEAH. I'll disagree with NGD though, I think it's notch or two better than Monster, mostly because at least Elphaba sings it when she hadn't lost all hope yet. She'd been trying to do good right up until that point, and THEN she finally cracked. It took time. Whereas we already know her mindset when Elsa sings Monster, so the sentiment itself it not only literal and overkill, but the song itself is...not great. I'd prefer a ballad type also. Plus it lists it as Hans sings in it also...Um, where is he? I literally can't hear him...And of course MofS is AMAZEBALLS. I love the Lopez's but their niche for writing lies in comedy pastiche/satire shows, not really with Disney honesty and earnestness. Frozen is just all over the place stylistically. It may be their biggest success FINANCIALLY, but artistically, that still lies with Avenue Q and BofM. 

And those pics...I just want to shake my head. It's literally does look like a mix of the DCA and DCL productions, minus a staircase. They could have at least had more sets for her play around on....I'll repeat, Disney has all the finances in the world at their disposal and they still can't make this final stage incarnation that's BROADWAY BOUND the most amazing one? It's just looks empty. Do they really have Patti in an almost literal replica of her film outfit? The mountain climbing one is one thing, but seriously...

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#905FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:35am

What do you guys mean "the castle looks good"? There is no castle! Where on that stage is a castle? Do you mean the vague backdrop? The sides? Yawn.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#906FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:56am

They'll use the exact same Olaf puppet from DCA but not the staircase? Okay.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#907FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:13am

Could the ice castle could be better? Hell yes. I don't know why they didn't stick with Bob Crowley when he did a great job with the scenic designs for Aladdin, especially with the Cave of Wonders (and the view of the Palace at the end of Act 2. It nearly made my mom cry). Hell, why didn't they hire the scenic design of Beauty and the Beast (Stanley Meyer?) when he nailed the inside and outside of Beast's castle? Or the scenic designer of Lion King w/ Pride Rock?

But I like the castle because the pillars are made out of glass and it really shimmers like ice. I love the crystal and the huge snowflakes, which remind me of the concept art for the movie. Plus, in the background, you do see a swirl, which looks like the upstairs of the castle. They did what they did and it's not bad.

I'm upset about Olaf not b/c of the puppet (face it: We all knew he would look that), but the fact that Greg's outfit is directly right from the DCA show. They could have made him dress like a snowflake or something like that. Again, why did they fire Bob Crowley? Someone said on Twitter that the DCA and Disney cruise shows were testing grounds for the Broadway show. That is 100% fine. What's not fine is copying everything from those shows. It looks like they're really holding back. I wonder if the producers and executives (NOT the Creative Team! I don't want to disrespect them) know that Frozen will be a success anyway whatever it's good or bad, so they stopped giving a crap about it and just made the designers copy from the DCA and DC shows.

We all can agree on this though: This is better than Hunchback. 

Itonlytakesajourney
#908FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:14am

^^ Definitely agree

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#909FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:16am

That Olaf picture looks kinda amateur. Those snowflakes hanging from the loft? The vague empty set with no sense of location? Oof.

i need to get out of this thread, lots of things change before Broadway and this is making me nervous.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#910FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:33am

WOW. Okay, I'm sold. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 8/19/17 at 11:33 AM

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#911FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:35am

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 11:35 AM

Itonlytakesajourney
#912FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:38am

OH MY GOD! HER QUICK CHANGE! THE SPARKLING SET! CASSIE!

DrewJoseph
#913FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 11:47am

HAHAHA We are the worst! First we really dislike it, and than after seeing it in action we are sold. I have to agree, it gave me chills! And the audio of love is an open door-> sounds like the audience really is having a good time there. And the instrumental part really gives me the wicked vibes and thats not bad at all!

but boy, that costume change, wow, best we've seen with the eye blinding white lighting effects! Just wow

AND DID YOU HEAR THOSE BACKGROUNDVOICES IN LET IT GO?! Awesome!!!

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 11:47 AM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#914FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:18pm

I hope ushers both in Denver and at the St. James are on their toes as far as audience members like these.  There's a reason the transformation and Olaf (examples of unofficial photos/sequences) have not been revealed or released yet. Whether someone linked it as a spoiler or not, had I seen the actual live experience, I would have been surprised.  But because this show is so high-profile, I wasn't sure what to expect and those photos of Let It Go surely do not do it justice. Imagine if we had photos of the train entering during Dolly, ruining the experience and surprise for those who had never seen Dolly live before. We don't need the audience of a Broadway musical treating this like the DCA show or a concert where people feel they are entitled or able to take tons of photos and videos of the show. I imagine that's the song they would do at the Tony Awards, whether they are nominated or not.

Itonlytakesajourney
#915FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:21pm

DrewJoseph said: "HAHAHA We are the worst! First we really dislike it, and than after seeing it in action we are sold. I have to agree, it gave me chills! And the audio of love is an open door-> sounds like the audience really is having a good time there. And the instrumental part really gives me the wicked vibes and thats not bad at all!

but boy, that costume change, wow, best we've seen with the eye blinding white lighting effects! Just wow

AND DID YOU HEAR THOSE BACKGROUNDVOICES IN LET IT GO?! Awesome!!!

Perfect sarcasm winkyes

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#916FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:23pm

That costume change :O

Itonlytakesajourney
#917FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:24pm

No but seriously I'm not sold on the production just yet. The Olaf puppet and some scenes and songs still sound like a major travesty. Let It Go, however, is really good. Like really good. The mixture of Cassie's vocals, with that quick change and beautiful set (I know it's not a full-blown castle, but I love it for what it is) is perfect. 

JennH
#918FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:27pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Why did my post about the Frozen video get deleted???

"

Which video? If a a actual video of the show was posted I'm sure it was removed as quick as it was posted for obvious reasons...as for the quick change, all we have are those tumblr pics, so I'm not too sold on it, but I'd rather see it in action before making that judgment call. And finally a effect that hides the costume change. Both DCA and DCL failed miserably in that respect. 

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#919FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:43pm

^^ and that crazy bright lighting effect while it happens is insane! 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#920FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:56pm

There was a video posted of the quick change, not the full show. That's what got removed. Funny that the pictures remain.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#921FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:15pm

They should have done a "Circle of Life" moment from THE LION KING and had the castle staircase swirling up from the stage floor during "Let It Go".  With all those projections and that set piece, the visuals would have been spectacular.  The song's end in the film with Elsa on the balcony could have been done on stage as well just lowering from the top a balcony set piece to connect to the top of the end of the stairs and there you have it.  

JennH
#922FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:18pm

It's weird...they are "removed" but someone is able to find them somewhere in the depths of the web. And no this wasn't me, I found it from a friend who posted it on her Princess Party FB profile. How she came across it I have no idea.

Ok, I like this better than either change we've seen before, including the one in DL Paris, and I'd like to see a clear view of the dress, but that a little too hopeful lolz. This scene overall though is just too lackadasical. Like someone else said, it's like they know it'll be successful, so they just don't put in as much work as they should into it. This is the EXACT reason why they should. Knowing something will run (barring financial collapses...heaven forbid) you miss as well put the work into it and make it amazing.  Beauty and the Beast and LK are as good they were/are because Disney musicals were just beginning at the time, and they knew they'd have to fight for a legitimate place on Broadway. Now they're a staple, and it's like they know most of what they do will do well, so they get lazy. Even DCA has a damn chandelier for their Elsa's to "create", this has....almost literally nothing for her to do, I want to see her CREATE something, not just stand there and wave her hands when there's actually not that much going on around her. Was there no way for them to actually use effects to make her magic look like it's actually coming from her own hands? Underwhelming though DCA and DCL are, at least DCA had two big pieces, and DCL actually was able to use a specific type of black tracking to actually make it look like ice is coming right from her hands. 

One thing I also dislike, and I keep forgetting...I real just can't stand that all three of these productions have Elsa's vocal line in FTiF interpolated up....it seems the only reason this is, is so she can be heard since if she sang the originally written line we all know, she couldn't heard as well. Honestly, coming from the school that everything we do must come from a character choice or acting perspective, this is the worst reason for it, plus it actually comes off as if they only rewrote that line so she can heard better. She's still very much on the fragile side for her to be full on belting in a higher range like that just yet, Hence why I like the original line better not only from an acting POV from from a musical one also. That lower melody sound overall better juxtaposed with Anna's melody. I know FTiF is an obvious ensemble piece and it should be, but just don't have the ensemble sing until the very end of the song and turn up "Elsa's" mic so her lower melody can be heard....is this really that hard? I hope I'm not the only one bothered by this. 

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 01:18 PM

JennH
#923FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:20pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "They should have done a "Circle of Life" moment from THE LION KING and had the castle staircase swirling up from the stage floor during "Let It Go".  With all those projections and that set piece, the visuals would have been spectacular.  The song's end in the film with Elsa on the balcony could have been done on stage as well just lowering from the top a balcony set piece to connect to the top of the end of the stairs and there you have it.  

"

THANK YOU....or SOMETHING similar, the stage is just so bare! Abstract doesn't always equal subtle minimalist. This show has always screamed abstract presentation, but NOT minimal. They're not one and the same thing. 

10086Sundays
#924FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:41pm

The show definitely is lacking in magic and whimsy. It's just so serious and wordy. The one time they try to be funny we get a retread song that ends with people in body suits, sung by someone we've never meant who honestly isn't charming or funny enough to overcome its weakness. (The act 2 opener.) The more I think about it the more annoyed I am at how lazy the Lopezes were with that song. 

I will say the Arendelle Palace set pieces are huge, from floor until they disappear into the trusses. But they're dark and drab and we only see them for the first 10 minutes and then for the Hans reveal scene in Act 2. Style-wise they're just like the DCA ones. 

finebydesign - I had the same thought about "Monster." Having Elsa decide to return to fight/find a way to end the winter would be better than what we have. She could then go willingly with Hans. He could pretend to be on her side and protect her from Wesleton, so he ends up betraying both women once they return. 

Videos