pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 39

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

10086Sundays
#950FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:13pm

I will say, as someone who sat in the side orchestra, some of the effect was lost. Especially looking at the LiG footage. So anyone buying tickets for Denver, try to stay center. 

10086Sundays
#951FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:20pm

Liza's Headband said: "Umm... Just watched the "transformation" clip.  Seriously? Ya'll are freaking out about that?  The lighting effects didn't even happen in time with the wardrobe change. Surely that was an error and it's not SUPPOSED to be that way, right? I don't want to see them actually pulling the costume off her and into the trap door.... please.... "

Especially since, from the side you can see exactly how it's done and watch the dress disappear. When the lighting cue is right that will probably help. I don't get the cheering for pulling down her hair, though. 

sit&dither Profile Photo
sit&dither
#952FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:20pm

10086Sundays said: ""Monster" is definitely meant to be the 11 o'clock number. I just feel in terms of character development, it doesn't work as such. Elsa feels like a monster. We already know this. She's hurt her sister, again, that's bad too. Again, though, information we already have. I think it just didn't feel like it was moving her forward. And then she gets captured. 

After she's captured, the show follows the movie plot basically. 

For the person who asked about the final blizzard, the ensemble is dressed in all white and Hans, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff weave through them as Hans tries to capture both the girls. It needs some work, but then when Anna stops Hans they form a wall with her as they all turn to ice via projections. The effect works better than my description. After that, as everyone thaws, they remove the white garments to reveal their normal costumes underneath.

"

This is all I've really read on the special effects of Anna being frozen.  But I take it we aren't getting the magic color-changing wig previously rumored?

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-patent-disneys-magic-frozen-theatergoers-flipping-wigs-86900/

http://www.google.com.pg/patents/US20160174644

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#953FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:27pm

They're knocking out the back wall of the Palace so someone can just park in the middle of the floor and stay there for the entirety of the show's biggest number? No castle forming or rising staircase? Nothing visual? Just a stationary curtain from the Oscars? Just like Aladdin--so undynamic. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
10086Sundays
#955FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:35pm

sit&dither said: "10086Sundays said: ""Monster" is definitely meant to be the 11 o'clock number. I just feel in terms of character development, it doesn't work as such. Elsa feels like a monster. We already know this. She's hurt her sister, again, that's bad too. Again, though, information we already have. I think it just didn't feel like it was moving her forward. And then she gets captured. 

After she's captured, the show follows the movie plot basically. 

For the person who asked about the final blizzard, the ensemble is dressed in all white and Hans, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff weave through them as Hans tries to capture both the girls. It needs some work, but then when Anna stops Hans they form a wall with her as they all turn to ice via projections. The effect works better than my description. After that, as everyone thaws, they remove the white garments to reveal their normal costumes underneath.
"

This is all I've really read on the special effects of Anna being frozen.  But I take it we aren't getting the magic color-changing wig previously rumored?

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-patent-disneys-magic-frozen-theatergoers-flipping-wigs-86900/

http://www.google.com.pg/patents/US20160174644
"

No, right now she already has a fully white wig on when the scene starts. An ensemble member pulls it off as they remove her white costume.  

Scarywarhol - You mean the St. James right?

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 05:35 PM

DrewJoseph
#956FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:45pm

They say you can't judge it by these onofficial videos, but I think when you would see an 'unofficial' video from circle of life it would make you feel way more excited than what we've seen from let it go. In my opinion let it go should've be the big wow moment like circle of life is for lion king.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#957FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:48pm

Well, I guess I'm the only one here who liked the staging of Let it Go based on the audio I've heard and that video snippet. The song still felt magical without being bombarded by over the top spectacle. Caissie Levy deilivered some amazing vocal pyrotechnics. Sure there's no staircase and balcony, but this certainly looks and sounds more exciting than the most recent Disney On Broadway productions.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 8/19/17 at 05:48 PM

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#958FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:50pm

Scarywarhol said: "They're knocking out the back wall of the Palace so someone can just park in the middle of the floor and stay there for the entirety of the show's biggest number? No castle forming or rising staircase? Nothing visual? Just a stationary curtain from the Oscars? Just like Aladdin--so undynamic. 

The back wall of the St. James, not the Palace.. 

...but Yes, I agree, I was hoping for a Pride Rock-esque staircase unit to elevate her at the end of the song. The new vocal ending deserves a more spectacular moment, I hope it is something they keep working on during previews. 

When Dance of The Vampires opened for previews they didn't have their finale set ready so the last number of the show was performed on a bare stage with black curtains until the set was installed into the show.

We are only 2 previews into Frozen out of town, it has 6 months to fix and retool before opening in NYC, its not like they don't have the $ to make any changes they want.. Hopefully we see some more Disney innovation before it hits NYC.

Scarywarhol
#959FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:58pm

Sorry, of course, my brain must have mixed them up because of all the construction that was rumored for the Palace for so long.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#960FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 5:59pm

Didn't Aladdin change a good bit between it's tryout and Broadway? Bad comparison, as I feel Aladdin's Broadway set is awful, but I'm really hoping they'll rethink some things before Broadway. They need a castle. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#961FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:00pm

When Dance of The Vampires opened for previews they didn't have their finale set ready so the last number of the show was performed on a bare stage with black curtains until the set was installed into the show.

How is this even remotely like that?  This is a fully staged, projection filled number with a very expensive Swarovski drape.

Scarywarhol
#962FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:06pm

VotePeron said: "Didn't Aladdin change a good bit between it's tryout and Broadway? Bad comparison, as I feel Aladdin's Broadway set is awful, but I'm really hoping they'll rethink some things before Broadway. They need a castle. 

"

The Seattle production was really like a separate production. More of a test than a try-out. But yes, what they ended up with was so weak. The Toronto pre-Broadway production was basically what we got. And I think some embarassing staging (chorus members waving moons and things around during "A Whole New World"...) was simply nixed and not replaced. It's very expensive and difficult to make major design concept changes at this stage. And I wouldn't count on it. Even Spider-Man, for all its overhauls, gained no major new set pieces after first preview. 

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 06:06 PM

DrewJoseph
#963FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:39pm

But whats so expensive in this set? The swarovski chrystals? 

And does anyone know if they have a turntable in the floor? I read somewhere there would be 3..

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#964FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:40pm

Tag said: "When Dance of The Vampires opened for previews they didn't have their finale set ready so the last number of the show was performed on a bare stage with black curtains until the set was installed into the show.

How is this even remotely like that?  This is a fully staged, projection filled number with a very expensive Swarovski drape.

Well, my point was that just because the show has started previews (in this case still developing out-of-town) doesn't mean things will not be added/removed/built etc... For a multitude of different reasons, timing, budget, creatives see it in the space with an audience for the first time etc..

10086Sundays
#965FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:50pm

DrewJoseph said: "But whats so expensive in this set? The swarovski chrystals? 

And does anyone know if they have a turntable in the floor? I read somewhere there would be 3..
"

They do and as far as I could tell it's just 1 or maybe 2. The only times it was used were:

1. FtFTiF - The palace doors revolve and then the townspeople enter. (I might be misremembering this moment and there's non revolve.)

2. Monster - Elsa has created ice spikes around her and at the climax of the song, they and her revolve as Hans and Weselton's men approach her.

3. Love is.. (Reprise)/The End. The cast line up around the edge and it rotates once at the end of song. 

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 06:50 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#966FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 6:50pm

An ice palace would be good. It would be cool. It would be a spectacle, for sure. But in this case, honestly simplicity works best. Just seeing Cassie belting those lyrics out with that beautiful icy background is enough. I don't see why everyone is complaining, it works fine and an extravagant set would be too distracting from the performer. 

DrewJoseph
#967FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:29pm

10086Sundays said: "DrewJoseph said: "But whats so expensive in this set? The swarovski chrystals? 

"

They do and as far as I could tell it's just 1 or maybe 2. The only times it was used were:

1. FtFTiF - The palace doors revolve and then the townspeople enter. (I might be misremembering this moment and there's non revolve.)

2. Monster - Elsa has created ice spikes around her and at the climax of the song, they and her revolve as Hans and Weselton's men approach her.

3. Love is.. (Reprise)/The End. The cast line up around the edge and it rotates once at the end of song. 

"

Hmm, alright. Thats not so much haha. Do the spikes look good? Or are they the same as the dca spikes?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#968FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:36pm

10086Sundays said: "3. Love is.. (Reprise)/The End. The cast line up around the edge and it rotates once at the end of song. "

So, is the finale longer than the DCA show?

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#969FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:39pm

Liza's Headband said: "So, you'll defend this lame-ass Disney musical no matter what we say... right? Just need to confirm before we see you post a million more times with some ridiculous excuse. 

I actually will defend this "lame-a** musical" because I like what I see, and I don't have to resort to middle school profanities to show that. I didn't know being actively involved in a thread is ridiculous and having your opinions is also an excuse, but whatever you say blush. I'll continue to look out for your nonexistent kind comments, too.

10086Sundays
#970FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:54pm

DrewJoseph - The spikes do look pretty good.  They're probably between 3-4 feet long. Very similar to the DCA ones. 

disney..fan22 - Yes, they added a couple verses. There's enough time for the parents and young Anna & Else to come out for one verse and then younger versions join the older ones for a quick dance and then we get the moment on the revolve. 

Updated On: 8/19/17 at 07:54 PM

brian1973
#971FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 7:58pm

What is this DCA you all go on about? Disney cruise or something?

DrewJoseph
#972FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 8:02pm

brian1973 said: "What is this DCA you all go on about? Disney cruise or something?

"

Disney California Adventure park in the Disneyland resort. They have a Broadway-style theatre and a version of Frozen is playing there. This show looks and sounds very much like that one and everyone thought they would be complete opposites or at least, I thought they would be..

DrewJoseph
#973FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 8:02pm

brian1973 said: "What is this DCA you all go on about? Disney cruise or something?

"

Disney California Adventure park in the Disneyland resort. They have a Broadway-style theatre and a version of Frozen is playing there. This show looks and sounds very much like that one and everyone thought they would be complete opposites or at least, I thought they would be..

JennH
#974FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/19/17 at 8:04pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "An ice palace would be good. It would be cool. It would be a spectacle, for sure. But in this case, honestly simplicity works best. Just seeing Cassie belting those lyrics out with that beautiful icy background is enough. I don't see why everyone is complaining, it works fine and an extravagant set would be too distracting from the performer. 

"

In SOME cases, I'd agree, but this is not one of them. To take the cheap route with Frozen would be like taking the cheap route with B and the B. Need I remind us of the existence of the low budget Beast tumblr? You can tell when certain shows are done on the cheap and this is one of them. Some shows you just can't do cheap because it shows like a sore thumb. No we don't want to be distracted too much from Caissie, but this is literally nothing on that stage. We all saw the video of LiG and frankly I see her hands moving...and doing what exactly? NOTHING is happening, unless I'm missing something. I have to say I'm with Princeton1, if they don't do this right, this could backfire. But the vast majority of the audience are there to see "Frozen on stage" and will love it anyway because "OMG FROZEN!". The easy route already being taken here, and it's bothersome. 

"Really wish it was something like this

https://wait4it.tumblr.com/post/164377418453/coryjensenart-soi-am-pretty-excited-about"

There's NO reason why this couldn't happen. None. And as for the concern for it interfering with her sing, there are ways to have an awesome set and still have her use it and sing well. What we got thus far is almost nothing but "park and bark". Not Caissie's fault obviously. 

Videos