pixeltracker

Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil- Page 4

Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#75re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 1:53pm

"As far as the email to Olivo, I doubt that is a rumor, especially if the entire cast also got it. Someone would come forward to dispell it."

How can somebody come out and dispell it if the rumor of the email came out today?

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#76re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 1:59pm

While not all theatre goers are rabid fans, they are intelligent enough to have careers that allow them to drop 125 on a ticket and understand how to read bios and know that the understudy is not as esteemed as the lead. People do get pissed when leads are out.

This is why I was like 'meh' when I learned in the same article that Karen Olivo was getting a CD along with Chita Rivera. Chita has earned a solo CD. Karen has a ways to go.

Chita and Karen are polar opposites. Chita is the woman who shows up sick and sore ready to perform. Karen is not quite there yet. I saw ITH twice and Karen was out both times.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ZiggyCringe
#77re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:03pm

"Then call me silly. But I am capable of recognizing person A as being the star of a show, selected because he/she was considered the best by the director and producers, and person B, who is only an understudy.

Can you imagine the dull roar and loud murmuring if this had been the case when there were PA announcements about cast changes? I'm sure theater owners count on the fact that most Americans won't bother to read the inserts, thinking they're adverts or similar."

Interestingly enough, Actors Equity has a rule about this.

You have to do two out of three.

The "three" is this: You put a "Playbill" insert in. You make a voice announcement. OR you put a plaque up outside.

Obviously, the easiest is putting the plaque up.

But you have to do two.

The inserts suck, as does the announcement.

"Inserts" in the Playbill are easier, and make more sense.

Of course, SHOWING UP for a performance is the "best case scenario", which is apparently a problem at WSS.

bethnor
#78re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:10pm

I don't see how people are calling Cody a "scapegoat".
Didn't he miss the most performances of anyone?
Also the talk of him getting a payout is strange, you just wait till the actor's contract is up and you don't re-new, right?

again, why ask questions when you've already made up your mind?

i thought it was better to let this die. but from what i understand, up until he got sick, cody had not missed any shows nor took any personal days from when the show started in dc in december. he tried surgery to make the problem better and he got his contract bought out for his troubles. make of that what you will. you'll call it unprofessionalism. i'll call it bad luck.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#79re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:13pm

you know who hasn't missed a performance? George Akram. I think he deserves some credit.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#80re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:13pm

I like this collumn. While I enjoyed this production of West Side Story, the three times I have been to the Palace durring its run, I have been worried about understudies. THAT shouldn't happen. When I saw Liza last winter, who is a lot older and who has been through a lot more physically, mentally and emotionally than the West Side troupe, I was less worried about her not showing up. Whenever I see a show with LuPone, Ebersole, Fierstein or the other troupers of our day, I don't have a worry at all. And they're in their fifties and sixties (Patti is at least). These young kids need to learn that eight shows a week is eight shows a week and Arthur is the PERFECT person to scare them straight.
For those of you who want to quibble with my examples of troupers-
As mentioned before, Harvey missed half a show of Hairspray durring a long run.
LuPone missed one performance of Gypsy. One! She missed one performance of Sweeney Todd and durring her vacation period, Judy Kaye, a well-known actress, not an understudy, replaced her for that week.
All of Ebersole's absences in Grey Gardens were announced prior to Maureen Moore going on. I also think durring the run of 42nd Street she was in the process of adopting her children but that's an assumption and a guess. I could be wrong.
Liza, who I love, but who also had the habit of missing performances of The Act and The Rink, had to cancel one performance of her Palace show last winter and had to extend the run several times. She's redeemed herself.

ZiggyCringe
#81re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:18pm

"Liza, who I love, but who also had the habit of missing performances of The Act and The Rink, had to cancel one performance of her Palace show last winter and had to extend the run several times. She's redeemed herself."

When did she "redeem" herself?

I had tix to her recent show at the Palace, and she cancelled, due to "exhaustion." I got a refund. NOT another performance.

Again, SHOW UP. Don't be so drunk you cannot perform. (Word to Carrie Fisher).

Updated On: 8/19/09 at 02:18 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#82re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:18pm

I know George Akram has missed one performance. But overall, he has definitely missed the least.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#83re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:23pm

"When did she "redeem" herself?

I had tix to her recent show at the Palace, and she cancelled, due to "exhaustion." I got a refund. NOT another performance."

But she's Liza! I love her, but she's old and she used to do that thing a hell of a lot more in the old days. She could have cancelled a whole week. Fifteen years ago, she might have.

"I know George Akram has missed one performance. But overall, he has definitely missed the least."

I'm not knocking the cast, I mean I am, but I'm trying not to. Anyway, Akram seems the most professional out of all of them.

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#84re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:33pm

Whatever one thinks of Riedel, his article made excellent points. Let's face it, "the show must go on" is a forgotten work ethic for many BW actors today. Chronic absenteeism is frequently used as a mocking-point in other media where there's disdain for BW in general because it's such an easy target. Merman's "taking the veil" comment referred to her almost cloistered life when she was in a show. A real pro. In an interview in the NY Times, 83-year old Angela Lansbury described the care she takes when she's in a show (plenty of sleep, plenty of rest, proper nutrition, conserving the voice, no late nights) so she's always prepared to go on.

The bottom line is that classic performers focussed everything on showing up ready to perform. Missing a performance was rare; chronic absenteeism was unheard of. These days, it's the norm for many. I saw the revival of 42nd Street in July, 2002 (after Ebersole had left) and all of the main performers except one were out...for a Saturday matinee. The same thing happened at RENT in 2007. No stars in that show, just a lot of young performers with a tendency toward sickliness. Poor kids.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#85re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:38pm

I'm not understanding all the hate for Laura Benanti and Donna Murphy. They both talk about their ordeals in their Downstage Center interviews. Laura was very close to getting herself permanently paralyzed from the performances that she did do. During Into the Woods her first doctor looked at the x-rays and simply recommended physical therapy. During rehearsals for Nine she got a second opinion during which it was discovered that her injuries were only getting worse. She ended up having to have surgery through the front of her throat which required them to move her vocal chords to the side in order to reach the disks that were close to severing her spinal chord. She had to sign papers with the understanding that she may have never been able to sing again. After all of this she still performed in the first preview of Nine three weeks later with a black choker added to her costume to cover the scar.

givesmevoice
#86re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:40pm

I remember reading an interview with Patti where she talked about having to see a nutritionist early in Gypsy's run because she was having a difficult time with the role. So, she changed her diet and said her energy improved so much. And, like previous posters have mentioned, she's one of the performers who "takes the veil" and does very little when not performing. you don't have to be super human, you just have to be willing to make changes and sacrifices.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#87re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:42pm

What I really love is how producers stuff a show with names like Young Frankenstein or the upcoming Addams Family and it will be a cold day in hell other than opening night when you see all of the "stars" on the stage the same night. Nowadays, you just hope for the best. Poor attendance is one of the reasons that Broadway does not produce stars anymore. Karen Olivo will never be a star. The most she can hope for are bit parts on Law & Order or maybe playing someone's girlfriend in a movie. Broadway is not the stepping stone it once was so I think many young actors take off when they need to looking for the next best thing. Karen hasn't realized yet that her Tony is worthless unless she stays in theatre and displays a strong work ethic. A Tony means nothing anywhere else. Ask the myriad of nobodies who have one and are lucky to get an antacid commercial.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#88re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:50pm

Someone said this on ATC, and I think it sums up the situation perfectly.

"Absolutely! It's sad to see the reputation of someone skewered, btu people will continue to talk until the full story is told.

It would be awful, either way: awful if Olivo is being a diva and is wilfully missing performance and awful if there's a real reason and no one's bothering to shed any light on the matter.

And Olivo's not the only one regarding absenteeism at the Palace!"

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#89re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:52pm

"West Village:

I dare you to name One.

Straight plays? Easy.

Musicals?

For me? "Welcome to the Club", closely followed by "Whoreouse, II".

I cannot believe you enjoyed "LoveMusik." Really? Did you like "Romantic Poetry" as well?

I'm just asking."

Ziggy ... Yes I really did enjoy LoveMusik ... I found it compelling, intelligent and very interesting. I also very much enjoyed the performances. If I remember correctly, after I saw it, I likened it to champagne and caviar. I completely understand that most people wouldn't like it, but something about it just completely appealed to me.

Musicals that I found "GAWDaful": Whorehouse II (agree with you on that); Have I Got a Girl for You; Metro; Got To Go Disco; The Look of Love; 9 to 5; Dr. Jazz; Comin' Uptown; In My Life; Good Vibrations ... just to name a few.

I did not see Romantic Poetry.

ZiggyCringe
#90re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:53pm

I'm not understanding all the hate for Laura Benanti and Donna Murphy. They both talk about their ordeals in their Downstage Center interviews. Laura was very close to getting herself permanently paralyzed from the performances that she did do. During Into the Woods her first doctor looked at the x-rays and simply recommended physical therapy. During rehearsals for Nine she got a second opinion during which it was discovered that her injuries were only getting worse. She ended up having to have surgery through the front of her throat which required them to move her vocal chords to the side in order to reach the disks that were close to severing her spinal chord. She had to sign papers with the understanding that she may have never been able to sing again. After all of this she still performed in the first preview of Nine three weeks later with a black choker added to her costume to cover the scar.

I'm not understanding all the hate for Laura Benanti and Donna Murphy. They both talk about their ordeals in their Downstage Center interviews. Laura was very close to getting herself permanently paralyzed from the performances that she did do. During Into the Woods her first doctor looked at the x-rays and simply recommended physical therapy. During rehearsals for Nine she got a second opinion during which it was discovered that her injuries were only getting worse. She ended up having to have surgery through the front of her throat which required them to move her vocal chords to the side in order to reach the disks that were close to severing her spinal chord. She had to sign papers with the understanding that she may have never been able to sing again. After all of this she still performed in the first preview of Nine three weeks later with a black choker added to her costume to cover the scar."

WELL, I feel for Ms. Benanti.

She has a choice.

Either she SHOWS UP for a show, or she doesn't.

If her back injury/vocal chord injury/neck injury is SO bad, she should NOT sign on for a Broadway Musical.

I think she's one of the BEST performers on Broadway today.

But I think she's also being difficult.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#91re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:58pm

Now if Reidel was really the weassel he and others think he is, he would hire a spy to get a copy of that email and let us know what it says.
But as it has been stated, Reidel has a "thing" for Laurents, on his PBS show (which I usually like) he and the Susan Lady were kissing Arthur's butt six ways to Sunday, they were practically laughing at Sam Mendes for not being able to direct a musical.
I quess they never saw the CABARET revival. And Laurents stated that everyone who works for him ends up loving him.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#92re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:00pm

'And Laurents stated that everyone who works for him ends up loving him. "

Well once he bites them and steals their lifeforce and soul, they have no choice. They are enraptured by him.

ZiggyCringe
#93WestVillage...il
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:01pm

You and I, I suspect, are the only two people alive who saw "Have I Got a Girl For You."

I LOVE that. PM me. and let's have lunch. My treat.

givesmevoice
#94WestVillage...il
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:13pm

WELL, I feel for Ms. Benanti.

She has a choice.

Either she SHOWS UP for a show, or she doesn't.

If her back injury/vocal chord injury/neck injury is SO bad, she should NOT sign on for a Broadway Musical.

I think she's one of the BEST performers on Broadway today.

But I think she's also being difficult.

I agree that both she and the producers understand that she has a pre existing condition, which can make it difficult to perform, but I don't think she's being difficult at all. My older sister has arthritis, which is especially bad in her fingers, and she's a graphic designer. She takes medicine and visits a rheumatologist every few months, but there are still days where it's incredibly painful for her. maybe she should find a new profession then?

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#95WestVillage...il
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:18pm

Ziggy ... my PMs are not working ... I get an empty screen when I click on Send PM ... so feel free to PM me and I will respond.

ZiggyCringe
#96WestVillage...il
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:23pm

I agree that both she and the producers understand that she has a pre existing condition, which can make it difficult to perform, but I don't think she's being difficult at all. My older sister has arthritis, which is especially bad in her fingers, and she's a graphic designer. She takes medicine and visits a rheumatologist every few months, but there are still days where it's incredibly painful for her. maybe she should find a new profession then?"

Hey, I don't mean to talk bad about pre-existing conditions.

But what, exacly, is Laura Bemanti's "Pre-existing" condition?

She's had nearly twelve.

She had a back injury during "Swing." She had another injury during "Into the Woods."

She threw a plate in a child's face during "Gypsy," which I'm guessing has those producers jumping through hoops.

What?

givesmevoice
#97WestVillage...il
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:32pm

I was only aware of the neck injury during Into the Woods. This is just hypothesizing on my part, but the way I understand it, her neck/back injury affected her immune system (since her spinal cord was involved), which seems to be a lingering problem.

musicalmack Profile Photo
musicalmack
#98Arthur Laurents
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:34pm

I kind of agree and disagree with Ridel's column. YES, I believe it's important to go to work and perform as much as you can. It actually makes me sad to think that these people worked their butts off to get these roles and aren't taking advantage of every single chance they get to be in it. HOWEVER, it's a tough show, and none of this would've have happened in my opinion if Arthur Laurents hadn't been the director of this revival.

West Side Story is known for the music and dancing, not the book. The reason Gypsy worked so marvelously is because Arthur really understood the story and every single layer of every single character. He could introduce ideas and enhance the production because the character work in Gypsy was a big contributor to what made it so great (what other show has so many Tony Award winning roles?). West Side, however, is not the same case. The plot and characters shine the best through dance and song. Not dialogue.

Arthur Laurents apparently was happy as a clam with this production and loved everybody in it and every single thing about it until the Tony season came and went, and Laurents wasn't nominated for Best Director, and West Side Story lost to Hair. After that, he hated the entire production. Laurents believed all of the show's blemishes were at the fault of everybody BUT himself. I know a close friend of some of the cast, and Arthur Laurents' tone was absolutely "chilling." Afterwards, Karen Olivo apparently started the email thing, sending a nice, apologetic message to Laurents and trying to make amends. HE, then turned it around and answered extremely rudely and sent it to the entire cast. If that's not completely childish I don't know what is.

Yes, I know that this is the notorious personality of Arthur Laurents, but really that's unacceptable. I agree with him that if you choose to make musical theatre your profession, and you've spent all this time and money perfecting your talents and auditioning, you should show some commitment. However, I feel terrible for these kids. I don't know if I'd be too crazy about being a part of a show that's so violently shunned by the director and then having to receive continual notifications from him that remind me of it. I feel especially terrible for Cody Green. If Laurents didn't think he was right for the part to begin with, don't cast him!! And don't fire him just because you couldn't fire Karen Olivo (who I don't think should leave either!) I just don't think firing somebody for missing performances is ok unless the situation is extreme.

Sorry for the long post, haha :) I just feel really strongly about this whole problem. It wasn't a big deal until Arthur Laurents made it so.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#99Arthur Laurents
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:38pm

So Karen and Laurents really ARE on bad terms right now? They seemed fine at the end of June. But with Laurents, ANYTHING is possible. I assume the producers will ask her to renew her contract, but I wonder if SHE would want to?

Videos