The Next Hedwig?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#75The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:40am

"i think laura jane grace definitely has the voice and name recognition, though whether or not she can act is anybody's guess"

I had to look up Laura Jane Grace to see who she was. As soon as I saw a picture, I realized who she was, but she's not a name that people recognize immediately. I'm not sure if fronting a semi-successful mid 2000s pseudo pop-punk under a different name (and basically, identity) is automatic name recognition. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#76The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:43am

Laura osnes

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#77The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:04am

I don't know what made me think of her (unless it's the Star Trek Next Generation episode I was just watching), but I'll bet Whoopi Goldberg could pull it off, at least as far as the acting and the comedy. I'm trying to remember if she sings.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#78The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:34am

"Laura osnes

LMAO. I just got the best/funniest visual. Amazing.

"

Phan2
#79The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:34am

Thanks for the link to the video.   Looking forward to meeting Jezebel, Jane2. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#80The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:37am

I really think Christina Aguilera would be great.  She hasn't had a hit in years, so she could use a high-profile gig, and she certainly has the voice and look for it (she pretty much dresses like Hegwig on the regular).  

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#81The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:25am

You can almost hear the hands of the clock ticking ... It's almost mid-August ... Should we be concerned??

Dream Hedwigs: Michael Cerveris; Norbert Leo Butz; Andy Karl; JCM returns (most of all)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#82The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:54am

My guess is we'll hear something around Labor Day. I really think the producers were pulling for Cumming as the next Hedwig, but things fell through. Or if Diggs doesn't have a good advance sales for Sept./Oct., the show may simply close with Diggs.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#83The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:45am

As I wrote here before, Darren's casting news came out around February 17, and Taye's around May 17. August 17 (Monday) is the key date to be wary of. 

Meanwhile, I had a dream last night that I was waiting outside the Belasco for the show's press team to distribute press releases announcing the new Hedwig. I finally got the release in my hand, but woke up before I could see the name on it. This waiting game is getting very bad. And very strange. 

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 11:45 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#84The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:48am

"This waiting game is getting very bad. And very strange. "

I think you need to go see a different show. Take a Hed-cation. The Next Hedwig?

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#85The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:58am

i think there's a strong possibility that the show wlll close with Diggs or Neil might come back. I doubt they have another star lined up. 

Skimbleshanks2
#86The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:12pm

I mean, the next Hedwig would (presumably) run through the holidays, no? If they can't get a name for that run, why bother, you know?

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#87The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:54pm

"i think there's a strong possibility that the show wlll close with Diggs or Neil might come back. I doubt they have another star lined up. 

"

I would think if anyone comes back (other than Neil) it would be Andrew, since he had the shortest run. Taye's numbers are on the way up, so who knows. The article that was just published about Taye being "the best Hedwig yet" said Taye was Hedwig until October 30th, so maybe that is telling? Tickets are only on sale until his end date. When DC was still on, they were selling beyond his run.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#88The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:04pm

Taye's last advertised performance and the end of the current block of tickets is October 11th, not the 30th.

ChildofEarth
#89The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 3:19pm

"Taye's last advertised performance and the end of the current block of tickets is October 11th, not the 30th.

"

That is what I meant but it wasn't clear - the article said until the 30th so maybe he is extending.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#90The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 3:22pm

They were also selling tickets into Taye's run before we knew who would be performing on those dates, though. 

Skimbleshanks2
#91The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 7:51pm

Ummm ... Has anyone been following the Twitter exchange between Stephen Trask and Glenn Howerton? Is this just mutual admiration? Or could Glenn be our next Hedwig??? OMG ... I am SUCH a huge It's Always Sunny fan, and lest we forget, Stephen said months ago that he wanted Glenn to be Hedwig ... Plus Glenn's current show would end before Taye's run ends ... Could this be perfect timing? Guys what do you think? I LOVE HEDWIG AND DON'T WANT IT TO CLOSE!!!

https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton?lang=en

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#92The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 7:53pm

"Ummm ... Has anyone been following the Twitter exchange between Stephen Trask and Glenn Howerton?"

Definitely an interesting back-and-forth, but Glenn's name just seems so unusually not "in line" with the names that have performed in the role thus far, at least to me.

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 07:53 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#93The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:06pm

I can see Glenn working as Hedwig. We shall see over the next few weeks if anything else leeks out.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ChildofEarth
#94The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:06pm

I honestly have no idea who that person is, so it doesn't excite me, but the conversation is indeed interesting.

AppleSunday
#95The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:21pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should bring back all the Hedwigs for two week engagements. It would be the same three month period they've been going for, and then at the end the show can close. NPH through most of October, Andrew and MCH in November, Darren and Taye in December, and then JCM stepping in in early January to close it out.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#96The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:34pm

That would make zero sense ^ 

ChildofEarth
#97The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:52pm

"That would make zero sense ^ 

"

Actually I think it would be an ingenious way to sell out nearly every show for a three month run, and each purchase would likely be full price - no one would wait for TKTS or reduced tickets and people would likely hit up their favorite, anyone they missed, and John.

pattilupwned57
#98The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:24pm

Nick Jonas

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#99The Next Hedwig?
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:12am

"Actually I think it would be an ingenious way to sell out nearly every show for a three month run, and each purchase would likely be full price - no one would wait for TKTS or reduced tickets and people would likely hit up their favorite, anyone they missed, and John."

I think you're underestimating how much work it is to get up to speed and do this show. For that short period of time, it wouldn't be worth it to the actors. Plus, it would be Neil's show to close out, really, since he is the one responsible for getting this production mounted, he won the Tony for it, etc.

And I say that as someone who didn't like him in the role and worships JCM. The Next Hedwig?

Videos