pixeltracker

Favorite Hamilton songs?- Page 4

Favorite Hamilton songs?

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#75Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:07pm

I really like Hamilton, but let's be honest: the score is really not much. Most of the actual music is just a singular motif repeated ad infinity (i.e. room where it happens) with good lyrics. The show's quality comes from the staging, which is the best musical staging I've seen in years

"In memory, everything happens to music"

Dave19
#76Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:28pm

There are only 2 little parts in the show that sound kind of musical and catchy. First, the little solo of Eliza in the opening song (when he was 10, etc). But that is all on 1 note. Just a funny rhythm, nothing more. 

Second, the line "say no to this", but only that line. The rest of the lines or melodies go nowhere.

But even these 2 lines in the show don't rise above the level of Rent. It is comparable to "would you light my candle" or "telephone" in Rent.

Updated On: 3/18/16 at 01:28 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#77Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:52pm

BakerWilliams said: "I really like Hamilton, but let's be honest: the score is really not much."
Favorite Hamilton songs?

Updated On: 3/18/16 at 01:52 PM

aaaaaa15
#78Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 2:12pm

BakerWilliams said: "I really like Hamilton, but let's be honest: the score is really not much. Most of the actual music is just a singular motif repeated ad infinity (i.e. room where it happens) with good lyrics. The show's quality comes from the staging, which is the best musical staging I've seen in years"

Couldn't disagree more. Most fans of this show have yet to see it and have become fans from the cast recording alone. The score is incredible and absolutely one of the best, if not THE best aspect of the show.

BakerWilliams
#79Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 2:35pm

No.

See how disagreement works?

aaaaaa15
#80Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 2:38pm

Yep, I saw how it works when I disagreed myself!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#81Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 3:00pm

BakerWilliams said: "I really like Hamilton, but let's be honest: the score is really not much. Most of the actual music is just a singular motif repeated ad infinity (i.e. room where it happens) with good lyrics. The show's quality comes from the staging, which is the best musical staging I've seen in years"

WTF are you talking about even

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#82Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 3:50pm

If I'm not mistaken, there are plenty of scores that repeat a motif like Evita and Ragtime. Hamilton is no different. Hamilton has several, but the songs each have their own melody. They are used appropriately like Non Stop is a perfect example... Eliza's "This could be enough?" and Angelica's "He will never be satisfied" while they are asking Alexander why he "writes like he's running out of time"

BakerWilliams
#83Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:06pm

I'm not a music critic, so I'll quote somebody who is. Terry Teachout put it best as he often does

"Although roughly a third of “Hamilton” is sung rather than rapped, the show contains no tunes, only melodically inert riffs that exist solely to carry the text. I don’t know whether Mr. Miranda is unwilling to write tunes or incapable of doing so, but whatever the reason, the result is that the first act of “Hamilton” feels far too long."

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#84Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:36pm

The score is beyond brilliant.  It would be easier for me to pick my least favorite than pick a most favorite.  I like to play it on shuffle in the car and only fast forward through a couple of the songs when they come up randomly.  Would love for them to put out a version with Javier singing - I know it would never happen but would love to be able to enjoy his talents away from the theatre.  If they could issue a second recording of Wonderful Town, Grease, Kiss of the Spider Woman to capture a second take on a performance, they should surely do it here.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#85Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:37pm

Terry Teachout is not a music critic, so your point is moot. And his hypothesis that only a third of the show is sung is ridiculous.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#86Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:41pm

Not to mention that many music critics gave the album 5* reviews, Billboard named it the second best album of 2015 and Rolling Stone named it the 8th best album of 2015.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#87Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:48pm

^ Exactly. I'm always interested to hear from critics/haters of Hamilton and see where they find fault in the show, but if they identify THE SCORE as a fault, I...I can't. The score is categorically, utterly perfect and brilliant.

BakerWilliams
#88Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:29pm

Yeah, he is. Do you know what he did before working for the journal? He was a music critic... And about a third of the show is sung, the rest is rapped.

I've gotten in this disagreement with others before, so I won't push it. 

Dave19
#89Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:42pm

BakerWilliams said: "Although roughly a third of “Hamilton” is sung rather than rapped, the show contains no tunes, only melodically inert riffs that exist solely to carry the text. I don’t know whether Mr. Miranda is unwilling to write tunes or incapable of doing so, but whatever the reason, the result is that the first act of “Hamilton” feels far too long."

This. Perfectly said.

I find this absence of tunes really amateurish and it gets extremely boring after 2 songs. I do have to add that the exact same thing bothers me in modern music, rap and R&B artists (Nicki Minaj, Kanye West), speaking 5 words on 1 note and then ad a little riff on the 6th and that is supposed to be artistic or cute or interesting. 

We must not forget that there is a certain group of people that doesn't know any better as this is probably what they grew up with, so this brainwashing makes it work for some people as they recognize the extremely simplistic style? I am always amazed about how incoherent and repetitive it is. Complete lack of tunes.

I find this way of literal storytelling too childish (what's your name man, my name is this, my name is that, everybody's gonna know your name, and then repeat the name 10 times, rapping). Nope, doesn't cut it for me.

But good if it does for others, it's all about your reference framework.

Updated On: 3/18/16 at 05:42 PM

aaaaaa15
#90Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:57pm

It's not being brainwashed to like different genres of music than you. There are many older fans of these genres so it's nothing to do growing up around them.

I can understand not liking the Hamilton score if rap and R&B isn't your thing but it is a very accomplished and well-done piece of music. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#91Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 6:10pm

Dave19 said: "This. Perfectly said. I find this absence of tunes really amateurish and it gets extremely boring after 2 songs. I do have to add that the exact same thing bothers me in modern music, rap and R&B artists (Nicki Minaj, Kanye West), speaking 5 words on 1 note and then ad a little riff on the 6th and that is supposed to be artistic or cute or interesting. "

You have never even listened to the recording so please stop espousing your BS on this and most other subjects.

Tom5
#92Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 6:22pm

Some time ago I asked the question If "Rap" necessitated the preclusion of melody and if that was the case would that mean anyone could do it? My answers across the board seemed to be "yes". So I guess no one should complain here.

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#93Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 7:03pm

Dave19 said: "I find this way of literal storytelling too childish (what's your name man, my name is this, my name is that, everybody's gonna know your name, and then repeat the name 10 times, rapping). Nope, doesn't cut it for me."

Please tell me when this happens at ant point in the show.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

aaaaaa15
#94Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 7:09pm

Tom5 said: "Some time ago I asked the question If "Rap" necessitated the preclusion of melody and if that was the case would that mean anyone could do it? My answers across the board seemed to be "yes". So I guess no one should complain here."

If you think anyone can rap then I suggest you look at some of the awful Hamilton covers on YouTube. It is absolutely a skill. 

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#95Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 7:26pm

My favourites, in chronological show order:

3. "My Shot"
4. "The Story Of Tonight"
13. "Wait For It"
16. "Meet Me Inside"
19. "History Has Its Eyes On You"
20. "Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)"

2. "Cabinet Battle #1"
7. "Cabinet Battle #2"
9. "One Last Time"
13. "Hurricane"
23. "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"

Dave19
#96Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:55pm

KCW said: "

Please tell me when this happens at ant point in the show."

Opening number.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#97Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:56pm

Rapping is definitely a skill because I cannot do it.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#98Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:59pm

'Say No To This' has been my favorite song since my first listening. Jasmine Cephas Jones is a star.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#99Favorite Hamilton songs?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:59pm

Not to anywhere near the extent that Dave is talking about. There is a "what's your name man?" And the name is said once. That is the only time a name is said in that song. This just goes to show Dave's unfamiliarity with the work.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

Videos