pixeltracker

Highest note belted on a cast recording?- Page 4

Highest note belted on a cast recording?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#75re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 8:31am

Oh my Lord, this is like a debate on existentialism. There will not now nor ever be a consensus on what constitutes a true "belt "or a "mix ". It's a completely subjective analysis.

But I throw my weight behind the Melba Moore theories. She had the craziest high notes I've ever heard, and whether they were mixed or belted they were sure loud.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:50am

Good Lord, this thread is EIGHT years old.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadwaystar2
#77re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 3:09pm

Nancy Opel HANDS DOWN! "Privledge To Pee" from Urine Town. And lets not forget the E's she is belting FULL voice in "The Toxic Avenger". I've seen her do it with my own 2 eyes. And she's over 50.

bwaylvsong
#78re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 3:20pm

In "Memphis," Opel belted an A eight times a week, as did Glover. One performance when Felicia Boswell went on as Felicia, she threw in a couple of mixed notes even higher than that.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#79re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 4:04pm

Nancy Opel's been high-belting with the best of them since she was Patti LuPone's understudy during the original run of Evita.

OBSESSED!: Nancy Opel Plus the High Heels and Hoop Skirt of Evita Equals Trouble!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#80re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 4:19pm

I stand by my theory that men DON'T Belt. We just sing loud.
What's Katie Shindle hitting in LEGALLY BLONDE?

And Certain woman can hit some very high notes in their chest voice, but real belting to me is still The Merm, Delores Grey, Karen Morrow, Laurie Beechman and McArdle. Maybe they don't go as high but they have the "Belt" sound I crave. And Opel gets special mention.

dexter3
#81re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 7:07pm

Kate Shindle hits an A flat at the very end of the "Legally Blonde Remix".

jo
#83re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 8:02pm

This was a very long time ago -- but watch Michael Ball build up to that last Bflat note for LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING, in a RUG publicity video before ASPECTS OF LOVE opened in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KfEb1mY8E

Many years later ( for ALWebber's Birthday Celebration concert), he repeats the end-note, while many other musical theatre stars watch re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb63CxqzCwA

Updated On: 4/26/14 at 08:02 PM

CurtainPullDowner
#84re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 8:24pm

Deena, that video and Audio were perfect for this thread.
Only ones missing were Melba and Morrow.

So who had the best "straight tone"?

Broadwaystar2
#86re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:01pm

But how many of them are still belting E's at over 50? Nancy Opel...LOL! And with ease might I add.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#87re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:07pm

How old are YOU that you keep acting like 50 is near death?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CurtainPullDowner
#88re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:26pm

Good one Dramamama!

Broadwaystar2
#89re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:33pm

Well I'm 54 to be exact. I'm sorry you assumed that I meant it in a negative way. But please note any other musical theater lady belting E's over 50?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#90re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 9:36pm

PalJoey, that's one of my favorite Obsessed! videos...Nancy Opel is hysterical.

Michael Bennett
#91re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 11:07pm

I think you are seriously under estimating the power of a woman's voice at 50. I daresay most of the women who could easily belt an E in their 30s or 40s could still do it 50. It's closer to 60, that you really start to see a change in a woman's voice. The fact that Patti LuPone can still sing the way she does in her mid 60s is just extraordinary.

Broadwaystar2
#92re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 11:12pm

No one is underestimating anyone. I merely stated that she is capable of singing E's well into her 50's. And still no one has come up with another name. So please forgive me if I am out of line.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#93re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 11:51pm

Not on a cast album, but let's give credit to Shindle here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWnOltQpT8g

She hits an A-flat above high C on the cast album and here decides to take it up a major third above. That's some serious ****. Bravo lady.

Mel089
#94re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:15am

For a male, the narrator in Hunchback of Notre Dame hits and sustains a high D at the end of 'Bells of Notre Dame'. There's the German cast recording as well as the soundtrack.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#95re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:17am

@ Broadwaystar2- Don't be, Mama accused me of the same thing- as if I was implying 40 was near death- it's all in His/hers Head.

Darreyl with an L!

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#96re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:33am

Can I just mention Morgan James??

Michael Bennett
#97re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 1:55am

A list of a few women who I think could still "belt "in E, who are 50 and over: Carolee Carmello, Linda Eder, Liz Callaway, Lillias White, Maria Friedman, Kathryn Evans, Beth Level, Sharon Brown, Lynne Winterseller, Natalie Toro, Linda Balgord, Judy McLaine, Vicki Lewis

Parks
#98re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 11:23am

Just decided to creep on the boards for the first time in years. People are still discussing my question from high school? Dang.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

MeowCookie
#99re: Highest note belted on a cast recording?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 2:23pm

Betsy Wolfe has a pretty fierce G 'belt' at the end of her version of Summer in Ohio on the L5Y revival recording.

Videos