Retire it, QUEEN!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#75Go and serve yourself
Posted: 3/7/07 at 10:42am

You are not the first to bring up the Disney-itis of this show. Back in November we were saying that is was really just Little Mermaid/Mulan worked over. Sorry to hear that has not been de-emphasized.

PEACE.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#76Go and serve yourself
Posted: 3/7/07 at 10:42am

Wanna Be foster- Thanks for your review . I am debating now whether to see the show or not.-j*
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 10:42 AM

fachedaluna Profile Photo
fachedaluna
#77Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 10:51am

Yes, we all have our own opinions and taste in the entertainment we care about. Yet, how many of you truly enjoy epic shows? Shows that are mostly sung through? How many would rather see the light hearted "Legally Blonde"/Curtains/Drowsy Chaparone etc., type shows? Much of this mind set will determine the fall or success of the Pirate Queen.

My comment above is trying to state that there are audiences for all types of shows. However, those who are truly negative about the PQ may be in a different audience bracket who do not like epics and appreciate the more light hearted venue (believe me I too enjoy the light hearted shows, as well). But hey, it's been a very long time since an Epic like the Pirate Queen has been brought to Broadway (someone called it the Pop Rock...and thank god it's gone) With these types of comments I base my opinion of the above statement.

There are many people, out there, who enjoy those Pop Rock shows, and I take offense to those who would have this show "Retire". Just because it doesn't suit one...why try to dissuade someone else from seeing the show (That's how I feel many of the board commentaries are coming across.. IMHO)

No, I won't stay off the boards!!! As the nay sayers are giving their opinions...I too will defend the PQ as I see fit.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#78Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:02am

For all those who are shocked and appaled by Fosters opinion, I would put forth to you the Chicago Tribune's OFFICIAL review of the show when it opened out of town, which essentially voiced all the same critiques. I even recall Chris Jones comparing the villians to something out of Spamalot. And from what I hear, all of these problematic elements are still fully intact. So my question is...What the hell did they DO in those three months off??

Ill try to find the tribune link

Theatreboy33
#79Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:03am

Oh, and is the confrontation between Grania and Elizabeth still behind a wall? That's the FIRST thing that needed to go. If its still there, I have no hope for this show.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#80Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:13am

Do you mean how they work out everything in silhouette as the Queen's court patters out truncated phrases of what they're discussing? Yes, it's still there. And it's still befuddling.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#81Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:13am

"Like in that play where the lady sold her retarded daughter to a horny Italian?"

That made my morning...

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

fachedaluna
#82Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:20am

What Chicago's reviews had to say should not be based on what is transpiring on the Broadway stage today. Chicago has not seen the incorporated changes. So perhaps we can forego Chicago and start with a fresh commentary of PQ after the show is frozen.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#83Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:25am

That's what you risk with an out-of-town tryout, bad word of mouth! It has been a theatre norm forever and a day, why should Pirate Spleen be exempt? Besides, most of these reviews state that the book hasn't been fixed.

Fact: People don't like their flawed favorites drug in the mud. They have no problem bashing Sondheim shows or other critical darlings, but for some reason, piles of crap develop huge fan bases, mostly due to the internet. They will themselves into liking it long before they hear a single note. They love idol worship, making cute avatars, and making friends through a show, which is great, but don't get pissed at someone for finding the obvious flaws in something just because you lurv it.

Theatreboy33
#84Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:30am

Perhaps the company of pirate queen could have taken the chicago review and used it to their advantage to perfect and alter portions of their show. But if the show still contains (as what Im hearing here from posters whose opinions i generally agree with and respect) a muddy plot, unmemorable music, an anticlimactic climax, and cartoonish villians, then it would seem that very little that needed change has, in fact, changed.

That was my point in bringing up the chicago review. And, PLEASE, do you people so staunchly defending the show really think that the NY preview period is going to see that many changes when they had three months since chicago? I bet youd be lucky to see a shorter Hobbit cape on Grania by opening night. But thats about it.
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 11:30 AM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#85Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:33am

Bobby, you are talking about Harry Sondheim, right? or you mean Barry? I still can't seem to get it right.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 11:33 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#86Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:34am

fachedaluna, what Foster and I have posted in our reviews is just our opinion on a first preview. we are entitled to our opinions even if they are mostly negative. i went into the show wanting to LOVE it, as i am a huge fan of Stephanie Block, but like I said in my review, most of it fell flat for me. please do not bash us, or others who have spoken negatively of this show. we gave our opnions and backed them up with concrete examples. i LOVE Les Mis and Miss Saigon, but it was hard for me to believe that the same composers wrote The Pirate Queen. Honestly, I feel horrible this morning that I didn't love the show...I really wanted to love it. When I see it next Friday, I'm hoping for a lot of significant changes, but would not be surprised if there aren't too many.

fachedaluna
#87Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:41am

jaystarr...go see the show. I believe you may be pleasantly surprised by what this show has to offer in beauty, talent, story etc.

All opinions are subjective and not necessarily the true heart of all viewers. Form your own opinion. Don't be a follower, just take your own stand.

WithoutATrace
#88Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:48am

I am not telling people not to see this show (double negative...sorry). They should see it and form their own opinions. Definitely agree with you on that point.

justafan2
#89Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:50am

without a trace-----please write back after you've seen it on Friday. I'm embarressed to admit that I paid full price to see this show (in May). I'm hoping that you enjoy it more the second time around. (not holding my breath, tho')

VIETgrlTerifa
#90Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:51am

So, fachedaluna, do musicals have to be either epic or light-hearted entertainment? That's a really narrow way of looking at things, I mean where would musicals like Caroline, or Change, Light in the Piazza, some of Sondheim's musicals be categorized as?

Just because something is epic doesn't mean it can't be shallow.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

WithoutATrace
#91Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:54am

i will definitely write a second review when i see it again next Friday...not to worry.

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#92Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:56am

WithoutaTrace...
I think what has made us, who enjoy the show, want to defend it is the way that Foster expressed himself! I know you didn't enjoy it and were hoping to. While I was frustrated by your post I was more frustrated because I really wanted you to like it. At least you tried to find some good and your post wasn't bashing the entire show. I wonder why even waste your time writing about something you hated so much?

I am not trying to be defensive or rude or any of the other things people might call me, I am just trying to clarify...and understand. Shows that I don't like I don't even waste my time on the boards talking about them. Fosters opinion is ONE opinion. There are several others on this board. People seem to be only taking into accound a few of them and forget that there are several people on the board that actually do enjoy the show.

I know there is a lot of negativity going on around this show here. It's sad because it makes it nearly impossibly for any of you to go in with a completely open mind (both the negative and the positive). Do you remember what it was like to walk into a theatre not having seen the show, or heard about it? and just enjoy it? Enjoy the entertainment? It's such a wonderful experience. We've all become such critics, nit picking at every detail. Is it even possible to go into a show with a clean slate anymore (and I'm not just talking about PQ)? I wonder. Call me optomistic but I hope some of you can erase the good and the bad from your minds when you see this show and form your own opinion, free from anyone elses influence!
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 11:56 AM

Theatreboy33
#93Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:00pm

"Fact: People don't like their flawed favorites drug in the mud. They have no problem bashing Sondheim shows or other critical darlings, but for some reason, piles of crap develop huge fan bases, mostly due to the internet. They will themselves into liking it long before they hear a single note. They love idol worship, making cute avatars, and making friends through a show, which is great, but don't get pissed at someone for finding the obvious flaws in something just because you lurv it."

Bravo Bobby. Extremely well put.

FallintoLight
#94Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:04pm

"Fact: People don't like their flawed favorites drug in the mud. They have no problem bashing Sondheim shows or other critical darlings, but for some reason, piles of crap develop huge fan bases, mostly due to the internet. They will themselves into liking it long before they hear a single note. They love idol worship, making cute avatars, and making friends through a show, which is great, but don't get pissed at someone for finding the obvious flaws in something just because you lurv it."

Well maybe that applies to a select few but certainly not all! Besides I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "lurv"!

I maybe very wrong here, and again I'm not just talking about PQ, but why would you waste the money going to a new show when you are looking for the flaws? I know many of you don't LOOK for them but a lot of you do. You go into shows AS critics. Where is the enjoyment in that? Unless I'm being paid to be a critic I'd rather look for the things I actually enjoy in a show and take in the entertainment of the evening!

Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:04 PM

fachedaluna
#95Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:09pm

FalltoLight~

Wonderfully said...3 cheers for you!!!!!!

Theatreboy33
#96Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:33pm

"Besides I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "lurv"!

The levels at which you fanatics also miss tongue in cheek humor and gentle sarcasm is also always astounding.

FallintoLight
#97Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:35pm

I was throwing it right back at you, my friend!

and just because I enjoy something doesn't mean I'm a fanatic!

Theatreboy33
#98Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:38pm

Ouch, Friend!

FallintoLight
#99Not trying to be condescending
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:42pm

:)
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:42 PM

Videos