Retire it, QUEEN!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1Retire it, QUEEN!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:20am

I just got back from the first preview of THE PIRATE QUEEN, and, considering the fact that it has supposedly undergone such reworking since its poorly received out of town tryout, I can only imagine how much MORE of a disaster it could have possibly been than what I saw tonight. What a mess. The story is dull as all hell. I don't know who the target audience is supposed to be for this show. Going in, I was under the impression that they were targeting a youth-WICKED-Disney oriented audience, but as one tasteless sexual reference led to another, not to mention what sounded like the F-word and what definitely was the B-word, I was left clueless as to who is supposed to be buying tickets to this show. First off, the show apparently takes place in Ireland. Not one cast member was speaking with an Irish accent. The small bit of choreography that there is was pedestrian, aside from some impressive Irish step dancing thrown in randomly, I suppose to remind audience members that they were in Ireland. Honestly, the curtain call--if you can make it to that point without falling asleep--was the most lively, choreographed number in the show. Act One ended at 9:50, and the show let out at 11:10. Sitting to the right of me was an elderly man. He left at intermission. To the left of me sat a young girl, about 12, with her mother. The girl was shuffling around and her mother kept looking at her watch. I'm not even going to say much about the cast, because as far as I'm concerned, they are just innocent bystanders. They're working really hard up there to hold together a skeleton of a show. But, since all of the hoopla surrounding the show on this board is related to Stephanie J. Block, I'll just say that she looked just as bored up there as the audience members watching down in the house. Nothing about this show says Tony worthy. It reminded me a lot of the last show I saw in this theatre, HOT FEET, and we all know what the future held for that piece of work. Here's hoping the show moves quietly along, and the actors find new work in productions more worthy of their talent.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:20 AM

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#2re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:26am

I didn't expect such a negative response to the show tonight! I knew there would be people who didn't think it was their cup of tea but I figured people would be able to pull something good from it! I sometimes wonder if people have ANYTHING good to say about shows going to Broadway these days!

My first question...In Les Mis, do they speak with French accents? No! If they spoke with Irish accents I can only imagine that several people would say they were horribly fake accents.

I, personally, did not see a single person who looked bored tonight, but I don't know...that was in my section. The audience I saw and heard seemed to be enjoying themselves and gave quite a great applause at many points in the show. I heard many positive things at intermission and after the show. And although I did hear several people say that it's getting there and isn't quite there yet I also heard several very positive things said.

And as far as you saying Stephanie looked bored...well that statement confuses me! I thought she was whole heartedly IN the character.

I thought the show was wonderful. It's clearly still got some work to do but they have a month and I think they can get a lot done in that time!

Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:26 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:30am

If they spoke with Irish accents I can only imagine that several people would say they were horribly fake accents.

You're kidding, right? Two shows on Broadway within the last year taking place in Ireland; SHINING CITY--they used fantastic Irish accents--and, currently playing--TRANSLATIONS--and they all sound wonderful and real. This is Broadway. There are dialect coaches who make their living teaching actors to speak in the accents appropriate to the play they're in.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

FallintoLight
#3re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:33am

I'm sorry I've yet to see a show in which people speak with accents that aren't torn apart by this board!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:33am

My first question...In Les Mis, do they speak with French accents? No!

Of course not, but if you were doing a show set in Jamaica, wouldn't they sound Jamaican? What about set in the American South? The Pirate Queen should also use Irish accents. Why? All of these examples, they're SPEAKING ENGLISH. In Les Miz, as far as the characters are concerned, they're speaking French.

Les Miz and French accents = Old argument. Stupid, does not hold water, has not since 1985. Find another.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:35am

He's not being negative. He's having an opinion that you don't agree with, so you're trying your best to bring him down for daring to say what EVERYONE except the Pirateheads has said. God Forbid.

Thanks for the post Foster. This lines up with what was expected. I can't imagine this show ever getting raves (especially in the Times) or finding a core audience.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:37am

yeah, and RIVERDANCE never found an audience either.
You are entitled to your opinion but don't state it as a fact that the show is not good when many people are enjoyibg it.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:39am

But nobody knows Riverdance is in the show! And Curtain, you really change colors when you find a show that you love. YOu have no problem stating opinion as fact when its a show you don't care for...

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#8re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:39am

There aren't to many German accents in Spring Awakening...just sayin'.

FallintoLight
#9re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:40am

I understand that he is stating his opinion and that is fine. I have no problem with opinion. But like Curtain said do not state things as fact when it IS your opinion. And besides aren't I allowed to disagree with Wannabe's opinion?

brdlwyr
#10re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:41am

Wow, that is brutal.

FallintoLight
#11re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:42am

Thank you Lavieboheme3090!

Kringas
#12re: Retire it, QUEEN

They have pirate accents, though, right?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:42 AM

LizzieCurry
#13re: Retire it, QUEEN

And besides aren't I allowed to disagree with Wannabe's opinion?

It might help if you were to do so with less flailing and frightening over-defensiveness.

FallintoLight
#14re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:44am

Les Miz and French accents = Old argument. Stupid, does not hold water, has not since 1985. Find another.

Didn't realize I pushed a button!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Retire it, QUEEN

I guess it was you're starting with the typical "Negative much?" argument that gets me...

Its theatre. We're meant to love it, hate it, argue about it, etc.

And all I stated was the general buzz is that this show has a big hill to climb with a lot of unavoidable facts in front of it:

Low Advance
Little Mass Appeal
Bad Out of Town Buzz
The Likely Event that Brantley will hate it. If the book is as messy as some have said, there's no way he'll give it a good review.

brdlwyr
#16re: Retire it, QUEEN

Arrrh!

LizzieCurry
#17re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:45am

Didn't realize I pushed a button!

Just the one labeled "BANAL."

C is for Company
#18re: Retire it, QUEEN

This thread is damn scary and coming from all the wrong places!

Kringas
#19re: Retire it, QUEEN

They don't have Ozian accents in Wicked, either!

People - If the native language of the characters is a language other than English, but the show is in English there is no need for an accent.

If the native language of the characters is English, but not American English, then an accent is generally expected.

Like in that play where the lady sold her retarded daughter to a horny Italian? They all had accents because they were all speaking English.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:45 AM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#20In Defense of Wanna Be A Foster!

One thing I know about Wanna Be A Foster...he goes into every show really, really wanting to like it. He enjoys leaving a theatre feeling that he has experienced something original, uplifting, moving and plain ol' entertaining. He champions shows he loves and is grossly disappointed when a show fails.

So anything he says comes from a place of love...love for theatre, love for brilliance, love for vision, love for creation. He's not trying to pan something because he's a mean old codger. He's simply disappointed by mediocrity and all that falls below that line.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#21re: Retire it, QUEEN

Have you seen the show Bobby?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:47am

I heard the "Fattest Cat Ever" is playing the ship. Is this true?

Jilani
#23re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:47am

All of these examples, they're SPEAKING ENGLISH. In Les Miz, as far as the characters are concerned, they're speaking French.

Presumably, as far as the characters in The Pirate Queen are concerned, they're not speaking English, they're mostly speaking Gaelic.

LizzieCurry
#24re: Retire it, QUEEN
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:48am

Another review: http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1374029

Videos