pixeltracker

Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals- Page 4

Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals

Josh Freilich
#75re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:05pm

I absolutely LOVE Hunchback of Notre Dame...I was devastated when they closed the live show at MGM. It was fantastic. Also, I would DIE of happiness if they could figure out a way to stage The Nightmare Before Christmas. But it might be too cheesy with the skeletons and whatnot.

For Nightmare, I'd say the person you'd want to direct that musical is definitely Matthew Bourne. He'd find a really imaginative way of directing it.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#76re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:20pm

Definitely Sleepting Beauty... obviously more music would have to be written (perhaps Guettel, it could have sort of a Tchaikovsky feel to it, while still retaining some of the original material, "I Know You," and that ridiculous song sung by the two drunk kings should be cut). It has potential to be beautiful and amazing not only musically but visually as well. And Plus Maleficent is practically my favourite disney character... so that'd be awesome! And they simply can not cut out Dragon-Maleficent (like they cut out giant Ursula)!

Also, Hercules could be great! Aladin would be very cool too (but Jafar would have to get some kickass songs for himself). I could see Mulan and Pocahontas but they wouldn't be my first choices.

morganastyle
#77re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:08am

Ok think Newsies should work out the kinks and open on broadway.

And wanna be a foster!!! Yes Disney is cheezy. But they keep us working on broadway. They do it right. they have so much money. They stay open. We NEED broadway to stay open. Do i love their productions? No... but it's good work, and a good paycheck. Broadway can't keep a lot of great shows open because they don't appeal to tourists. You can hate the shows, but if they disappear, so will our broadway business.. it's sad but true.

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#78re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:29am

Newsies would be AMAZING onstage
Pocahontas
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mulan
Hercules

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#79re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/24/07 at 11:26am

seriously, i saw Glockner in berlin 6 or 7 years ago, too -- far more creative and entertaining than anything disney has tried to cram down our throats on this side of the pond since its brilliant Lion King christened it's new "home" on the Great White Way a decade ago.

You must have seen a different production than I did. Yes, the set was indeed mostly projections shone on blocks that rose out of the stage floor at varying levels. Less than halfway through the first act, you pretty much saw everything the show had to offer and it was just more of the same. The only visually stunning set I saw was the cathedral interior during God Help the Outcasts, which were panels of wood cutouts made to appear like the outlines of stained glass windows...with projections shone on them. The sewers underneath Paris? Blocks and projections. And the bridge over the river at the end of the first act? Blocks and projections. Oh yeah, there were those big bookshelves that came in from the wings for the Hellfire number. But as for Quasimodo's belltower? Blocks and projections. And a couple of ropes.

While the book and the score were indeed improvements over the animated film, I found the staging and direction to be quite dull. I'll never forget watching Drew perform Out There on his knees. Almost the entire song, he was standing on his knees. It made no sense whatsoever. I was happy to see the show, but I was disappointed in the LACK of creativity. Blocks and projections. That was pretty much it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 11:26 AM

Jennifer Lynn
#80re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:45pm

I'm torn between the two ends of the debate. On the one hand, I love the current Disney musicals (especially the added songs). On the other, I can see where bashers are coming from, saying that it's not very creative just to stick an existing movie and score onstage. Poppins is more of a re-imagining, and comes off well.

So...I'd like to see them adapt some *non-musical* properties of theirs into musicals. (POTC, the musical? Why not?) Also, I too think 20,000 Leagues might make a neat musical--on one condition, that the stage show's ending, unlike the movie, leaves Nemo and the Nautilus alive. And it might be a good idea to have the on-stage effects be nothing that they couldn't have pulled off in the Victorian era...thereby keeping the "steampunk" feel. And Brian Stokes Mitchell is Captain Nemo. Full stop. No further discussion.

Also? I would love to see them make some original fairy-tale stage musicals. Andersen's "The Snow Queen" and "The Wild Swans" would make for great musicals. And then, after they were successful onstage, make them into animated movies in a reverse of their usual process. That way, people would already be familiar with them and they could get away with having their animated movies be longer!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#81re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:53pm

Newsies
Newsies

oh and there was this great little musical with Keisha Knight Pullam that they did years ago called POLLY that would be so great!~

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

grnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
#82re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/24/07 at 6:35pm

Sleeping Beauty

The Nightmare Before Christmas would be awesome

Song of the South was my favorite Disney movie - if it was racist, I don't remember, I was young.

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey

stanton
#83re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 1:47am

Pollyanna Freaky Friday and Pretty Woman but that's Touchstone (which is owned by Disney)

I wish I could sing.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#84re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 2:34am

20,000 Leagues is a great story. So much more interesting than Tarzan. I would want them to keep everything in that time period. Maybe expand it so that we can admire the artistry of that era.

Brian Stokes Mitchell would be awesome as Nemo. Richard Dreyfuss can sing too can't he? I love his sarcasm. A few great Actors could take on this story as well.

How would they play out the Squid attack though? Just as long as the costume designer from TLM stays far away from this production, I am forever hopeful!

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#85re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 6:37am

So many people are saying "The Parent Trap", and although I love the film my reaction is : "hmmmmm". Having to cast identical twins, and probably have two pairs alternating...no no no...wouldn't it way to long to find them. Oh, they'd probably cast the Olsen twins...and NO!

Hercules with Cheyenne Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#86re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:02am

HUNCHBACK, ALADDIN and NEWSIES.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#87re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:38am

For Christ's sake, people, Disney already owns Times Square...when is enough enough?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Fenchurch
#88re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:39am

Ive said it before and I'll say it again/

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is CRYING out to be a musical, and in wartime, it would CLEAN UP!

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

shesamarshmallow
#89re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:49am

Bedknobs and Broomsticks would be AMAZING, but not very marketable. I actually assume that venture would turn out somewhat like the recent Chitty.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Fenchurch
#90re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:01am

I disagree. It could be totally taken out of Britain and replaced with a hip, modern sensibility. Don't recreate Angela Lansbury's role, make something new with a 21st century sensibility during a 21st century war with real fears. It would be great, get some orchestrators to soup up the already great score and some new numbers by Disney's crack team of Stiles and Drew, and you'd have another hit on your hands!

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

nutterbutter Profile Photo
nutterbutter
#91re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:45am

Though I know ANASTASIA is not Disney but Fox, I think it would be an awesome musical. I love that story. The real life mystery surrounding Anastasia is fascinating.

Eponine3
#92re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 2:02pm

I completely agree that Newsies would be a wonderful musical. Also I have longed for Anastasia (Which was better than any musical Disney has done in a long time) to be a musical as well I think it would be beautiful if done correctly.

Night707 Profile Photo
Night707
#93re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/25/07 at 6:21pm

The only Disney movie I'd actually pay to see on broadway, would be MULAN. It's my all-time favorite re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals

:D

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#94re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/26/07 at 3:50pm

Thinking a bit in reverse, I've always wanted to see Disney turn Once On This Island into an animated feature. I think it could be stunning.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed_Mottershead
#95re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/26/07 at 8:31pm

NONE!!!!!

BroadwayEd

EganFan2
#96re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/27/07 at 8:23am

Definitely "Hunchback of Notre Dame", but done where it's somewhat darker and doesn't have those stupid gargoyles.

"Newsies" was pretty good. Something tells me it wouldn't last. I remember when we were taken to see it (it was a double feature with "Beauty and the Beast"), one mother was loudly complaining that "this isn't for kids!". I enjoyed it.

broadwayman17
#97re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/27/07 at 1:01pm

Definitly Aladdin and Hercules. Those two disney movies have the best soundtrack for any Disney movie musical in my mind.

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#98re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:37pm

Pollyanna a little closer to the film version

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

and Mulan

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#99re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
Posted: 10/27/07 at 9:32pm

Mulan
Hercules
Hunchback
Fantasia (its not a musical but I think it would be really cool to have the orchestra play it on stage and instead of just putting up a huge screen to play the movie on, use dancing waters ala Liberace or the Belagio)
Updated On: 10/27/07 at 09:32 PM

Videos