ljay889
#75re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 4:50pm

I wanna see Ann as Charity!!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#76re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 4:51pm

I saw Ann as Charity and to me her performance was like a bad Gwen Verdon impression.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#78re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:37pm

Not a picture, lol. I think Husk said he had some videos of her in the role.

husk_charmer
#79re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:15pm

It looks like they photoshopped in her face in that poster.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#80re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:38pm

What about the Q-tip wig?!

I saw Debbie Allen in the part (who was terrific), and I remember cringing when I saw Ann with that white hair.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#81re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:54pm

Ann's wig was ACTUALLY white?

husk_charmer
#82re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:56pm

Apparently. She's actually not bad as Charity...not good, but not bad.

BrodyFosse123
#83re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:53pm

As promised -- here, from the 1987 US Nat'l Tour of Bob Fosse's revival of SWEET CHARITY:

Donna McKechnie's "If My Friends Could See Me Now": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAfaWHnKkEw

Donna McKechnie, Lenora Nemetz and Stephanie Pope & "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzhyLsZs7o

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#84re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:12pm

Great clips. Why did I think that Bebe Neuwirth was with the tour as well?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#85re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:24pm

That was amazing! haha I'm still laughing.
I'm not a huge fan of the show Chorus Line. It's a good show, but not "The Best Musical. Ever."

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#86re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:31pm

OK, Brody thanks so much!!! Donna's There's Gotta... is the best I've seen. I remember from her memoirs she has said she always did something different to stand out. Well, you can see a whole "inner monologue" during the dance especially during the "hip" part. Her looks are just devastating!!!! There wouldn't be any footage of Verdon, Gallagher, and Oliver doing There's Gotta Be Something... floating around, would there?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#87re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:51am

Watching those clips only makes me wonder one thing: Why did Walter Bobbie and Wayne Cilento rape and pee all over SWEET CHARITY in '05? Particularly Cilento.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

husk_charmer
#88re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 1:02am

rape and pee...now there's something you don't hear every day...

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#89re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 9:11am

LOVE this thread and the videos!!! Thank you for this re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

BrodyFosse123
#90re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 11:54am

Regarding any footage of Verdon, Gallagher and Oliver doing the original "There's Gotta Be..." number.

You ARE aware that was 1966-67, right? And you ARE aware that homevideo 'bootleg' material didn't start happening until the very late 70's/early 80's.

Unfortunately, none of the ladies ever performed this anywhere else aside from the confines of The Palace Theatre. Only Verdon performed material from the show (Ed Sullivan Show, etc.), and it was basically "If My Friends..." and "I'm a Brass Band".

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#91re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:19pm

Yes, I was just wondering if they might have performed it anywhere like an Ed Sullivan vehicle. Fortunately, the movie does have a very good version of this song with Chita, MacLaine and Kelly. Updated On: 3/12/08 at 12:19 PM

BrodyFosse123
#92re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:44pm

I should post Wayne Cilento's original version when the revival of SWEET CHARITY was still out-of-town and before Christina (Applegate) broke her foot. Before her injury she actually danced in "There's Gotta Be...", but then Cilento modified it leaving her out of the dancing portion which is what was seen on Broadway. Christina and the number were quite good (and quite faithful to Bob Fosse's original) when the show was out-of-town.

re: 4 guys attempt Cassie's 'Music and the Mirror'

Videos