pixeltracker

SHREK closing on January 3rd- Page 5

SHREK closing on January 3rd

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#100re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:32am

Overall, I didn't enjoy the score, but I found a few of the songs to be catchy.

I've mentioned this before - I don't hate the show by any means. I was lucky enough to see it at least once and had fun.

I don't know exactly what some people are expecting out of it; of course it isn't revolutionary theater. But I found the show to have heart, and it is a shame it will be a flop. The cast is immensely talented. I am interested to see how Shrek does during the coming holiday season.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#101re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:41am

Yes, it is a shame these shows (Tarzan, Mermaid, Shrek) were flops, but I don't think this genre of musicals should necessarily die off.

What needs to die off is producers thinking that Broadway audiences will eat up these excuses to exploit franchises.

Although I'm not glad at all that a show is closing, I am glad that audiences ignore the excuse to keep selling them the same product under coat of legit Broadway talent.

Otherwise, we would have McDonald's:The Musical playing on Broadway by now.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#102re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:42am

I don't know exactly what some people are expecting out of it; of course it isn't revolutionary theater. But I found the show to have heart, and it is a shame it will be a flop.

I know,and it actually upsets me. You should automatically go in expecting family jokes, and fart humor, etc. Its Shrek.
People say this kind of show "kills off Broadway" (or something along the lines). I completly disagree. If anything this show introduces a younger Generation into Shows.

B.T.W

I Wonder if SpiderMan will get the hint with all the closings in the past year..

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

millie_dillmount
#103re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:53am

"Otherwise, we would have McDonald's:The Musical playing on Broadway by now."

Um, is it bad that I would totally see that? re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

AnythingGoes2
#104re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 4:15am

I don't think Minsky's will take The Marquis... I think Dirty Dancing will go there as Love Never Dies looks set for the Neil Simon in Nov...

Priscilla... Broadway ?

Jonwo
#105re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 5:03am

The Marquis is a tad big for Dirty Dancing, if it were to go to any theatre, I think the Nederlander would be suitable and would sustain a decent run there.

trombonist
#106re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:08am

"I honestly didn't know this was coming, I wasn't aware that Shrek was selling so low."

Seriously millie? Do you completely ignore the weekly grosses? This show has been struggling for a while, and frankly I'm surprised they're staying open past Brian's leaving. I do enjoy the show but this is not shocking or surprising.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#107re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 6:46am

Dirty Dancing will not be coming to Broadway anytime soon.

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#108re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 8:31am

The producers of SHREK were not hoping to create a "family entertainment" that would be a "gateway show" for young people to become theater fans. They were looking for saleable, repetitive product based on a known entity with which to cash-in and make millions. Let's not make this sound like some benevolent, altruistic gesture. It's business and, once again, producers miscalculated and bet their bucks on a movie franchise to pull in the crowds. This isn't about theater in any way...it's about dollars. Period.

That said, I think it's sad that one of the most talented casts in recent memory (D'Arcy James, Foster, Seiber, Breaker, Tartaglia) was wasted on such material. They deserved better. I'm not happy either when a show closes and people are out of work, but maybe this will be a message that pandering to the lowest common denominator is not where the future of Broadway need lie.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#109re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 9:16am

I'm sorry but in the big scheme of things, Chenoweth is a bonafide C-lister. Just because she has an Emmy and a Tony doesn't mean people know who she is or more importantly will fill up over a thousand seats a week to see her and Sean Hayes in an obscure musical.

If you went up to ten average joes, you'd be lucky if two of them knew who she was. She is most definitely C-list.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#110re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 9:18am

(I meant 14,000 seats a week. BWW mobile on my BlackBerry sucks; it won't let me edit my posts and it freaks out whenever I make a new post/start a thread.)

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#111re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 10:00am

I'm sorry but in the big scheme of things, Chenoweth is a bonafide C-lister.

I have to agree. Despite winning an Emmy and being in Wicked, The West Wing, Glee, etc., she's far from being a household name across America. WickedRocks is right; if you asked 10 random people on the street if they knew who she was, probably less than half would know. There's no way she would sell out the Broadway theater eight times a week.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

millie_dillmount
#112re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 10:53am

"Seriously millie? Do you completely ignore the weekly grosses? This show has been struggling for a while, and frankly I'm surprised they're staying open past Brian's leaving. I do enjoy the show but this is not shocking or surprising."

First of all, I know this was for the other Millie who posted in this thread.

Why should Brian's leaving prompt the show to close? His presence in the show isn't what is selling a majority of tickets. The reason why it is staying open past his leaving is because producers hope it will sell well during the holidays. And it probably will sell better than it is now, because family shows do well during the holiday season. Plus you are going to have the "I have to see it before it closes" crowd.

beautywickedlover
#113re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 1:02pm

I disagree it was a waste of the actors talent. Those roles allowed them to show off their personalities. Playing the role of Shrek awarded Brian a Drama Desk Award and Outer Critic's Circle Award. He was also nominated for the Tony Award for Best Lead Actor in a Musical. Most of his shows don't last for at least six months like "Sweet Smell of Success," "Lutient of Ishmore," and only getting play the lead character in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" for a month. He got to play this role for over a year. Princess Fiona also allowed Sutton to do much more than her previous role Inga in "Young Frankenstein."

Updated On: 10/22/09 at 01:02 PM

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#114re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 1:19pm

I thought you were gonna accept this and move on.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

beautywickedlover
#115re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 1:26pm

"I thought you were gonna accept this and move on."

I have accepted the fact this show is closing, but I'm just saying it was not a waste of the actor's talents. There's nothing wrong with that.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#116re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 1:26pm

"Accepting" and "moving on" are two things that are very difficult for the majority of BWW.

starzilla
#117re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:03pm

It is very sad to see any show close, Best of luck in securing future roles and jobs to everyone associated with SHREK. My 8 year old and I enjoyed it for what it was. Big Fun entertainment, with some of today's most memorable characters.

We will be taking a big group when it comes by on tour.

"I'm a believer."

Now maybe they can release the music selections, we sing along to most of the songs in the car on long trips.

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard on this show!
Updated On: 10/22/09 at 02:03 PM

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#118re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/22/09 at 2:47pm

WickedRocks... true. Hahaha

When I think about you, I touch myself.

KirbyCat
#119re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:30am

As sad as I am to see this show go, I just cracked up at this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iho2vXO9ep4

binau Profile Photo
binau
#120re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:38am

omg LOL wtf. Crazy. I think he is serious too..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#121re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:45am

You guys are aware of Crazy Spring Awakening Girl right?

MuppetManiaMan Profile Photo
MuppetManiaMan
#122re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:47am

That video is wonderful. Please check out his profile, and other videos...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#123re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:47am

TF4, no I'm not, enlighten me :P?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#124re: SHREK closing Jan. 3rd
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:53am

Well lets start off by saying that this video is a parody of that.

Well, after Spring Awakening announced closing a girl went on Youtube & made a video freaking out about it. She blamed George Bush, the economy, saying that the show is doing well. Just INSANE.

Her profile. The video is gone though.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PlanetMarinaZee

Sweet Baby Jesus, I found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzXyPFd5AQ

Updated On: 10/25/09 at 12:53 AM

Videos