pixeltracker

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?- Page 5

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#100re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:12pm

I'm sorry, but I've never used TDF. Can someone explain it? Also, how do I get the Ragtime discount code?

RentBoy86
#101re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:35pm

www.broadwaybox.com

So has Finian's announced a closing or is it going to stick it out?

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#102re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 9:06am

All this discussion of paying full price raises the question (and I thought about starting a thread about this...) but what shows ARE worth full price. I often tell my friends about a show "well it was very good, and it was worth $60-$85, but certainly would not pay full price for it". I do think that RAGTIME (for me at least) is worth the full price, and that if people went to see it, they would agree. Maybe someone should come out with the bold idea of a lower high end ticket price, and people would be more willing to take the risk. Is it time for a paradigm shift?

To the poster asking about TDF...it stands for Theater Development Fund. If you work for non-profit, or I believe if you are senior, educator, military, you can join for a reasonable annual fee. As a member, you get to have access to not only theater, but dance, concerts and other special events. Shows like Wicked and Jersey Boys are never on the list. Steady Rain will never be on the list. Shows like The Royal Family, Shrek, and sometimes The Phantom of the Opera are often on the list, and the tickets are about $36.50.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Updated On: 12/3/09 at 09:06 AM

RentBoy86
#103re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 10:32am

It's up to the person. I think the majority of Americans would pay full price to see a celeb in a ****ty show instead of paying full price for something that moves them.

Finian's was totally work full price in my eyes, but Superior Donuts wasn't. For me, the later was a great show, but that fight scene killed it for me. I'm sorry, but that was awful.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#104re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 10:50am

To the poster asking about TDF...it stands for Theater Development Fund. If you work for non-profit, or I believe if you are senior, educator, military, you can join for a reasonable monthly fee.

Students are also eligible to join. There's a whole list on the website: tdf.org.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#105re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 11:08am

RentBoy...I believe you are right...

The fact that your assessment is accurate is pretty sad statement about what people want. To me...that thought process is BIZARRE, INSANE, and MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

Oh well...

trombonist
#106re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 11:11am

Also tdf is a yearly fee, not a monthly one. :)

Goldenboy2
#107re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 11:12am

OK, so let me get this straight, Reidel writes an article to obviously start a bunch of B.S. There was nothing concrete in his article about RAGTIME "UNOFFICIALLY" closing on Jan 3rd. It's all HEARSAY. To those that believe in the piece, don't allow yourselves to be rattled or become frantic by mere opinions.

Numbers are simply that...numbers. They go up and down. Ragtime will go up and just needs time to pick up speed. THE SHOW HASN'T EVEN BEEN OPEN THAT LONG FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I do love ragtime and am a fan. But I more of a fan of truth.
There was no truth only speculation in Reidel's article. Stick to facts and then formulate your ideas around that!

RentBoy86
#108re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 11:12am

It's the same reason why there is Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel. It's crap entertainment, but everyone goes to see it. I know it's a children's movie, but look at Disney's cartoons. They're children's entertainment with some art, craft, and moral.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#109re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 11:50am

T-bonist...thanks for getting my back!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#110re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 2:11pm

So has Finian's announced a closing or is it going to stick it out?

It's just sticking out, because nothing has been announced.

Personally, it's so disheartening to see such an amazing production not selling like it should. I saw Ragtime and felt like I was having an experience of some kind because it was like nothing I'd ever felt or seen before.

The fact that shows like Ragtime and Finian's haven't caught on is sad, because they are both great productions with great music and fabulous performances.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 12/3/09 at 02:11 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#111re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:20pm

Uh-oh. They are deleting posts in this thread. It must be true.

According to BroadwaySpotted and ATC, the cast was told today.

re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#112re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:21pm

Haha, I was like "where did it go? I know I just posted something!" What I would like to know... how is me saying it now any different than me saying it yesterday in response to the Riedel article? It's still "speculation" until confirmed...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#113re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:23pm

^ Exactly, lol.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#114re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:28pm

Wait this means it's time to play my favorite game:

Guess the corny playbill.com title of the official article (IF it happens). Notice that I said "if" BWW. Don't delete me. re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

My money is on "The Journey Will Not Go On" or "They Couldn't Hear You". :-P

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#115re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:36pm

I also like "Back to Before, Ragtime Closes Again", "Goodbye, My Love", and "The Wheels of a Dream Have Come Off."

If they decide to go very sentimental, it could be "The Crime of the Century: Critically Acclaimed Production Closes".

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#117re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:43pm

If the cast just supposedly found out today, do you think Broadway.com would know already? No. The ticket websites will all update after official notice.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#118re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:49pm

Birdie was booking through April too.

....but the world goes 'round

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:49pm

Now someone on ATC is claiming one of the lead producers said it isn't true.

#120re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:51pm

Twitter is going crazy with reports about the cast being informed today about the closing.

Its sad that if they get nominated in June (which is likely with La Cage, Finian's and either Birdie or Promises) they will most likely not perform.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#121re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:53pm

"Its sad that if they get nominated in June (which is likely with La Cage, Finian's and either Birdie or Promises) they will most likely not perform."

You think Birdie is going to get nominated over NIGHT MUSIC?

Yeah...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#123re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:57pm

Just saying, it's been running for 6 weeks (including previews), who would close so far unless they were making abyssmal money. They seem to be making okay grosses, if the producers want immediate success, they need to get off what they are smoking. This show ain't Wicked, this show ain't Lion King.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#124re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/3/09 at 5:58pm

Birdie is clearly the show to beat for the TONY.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos