pixeltracker

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!- Page 5

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#100THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:31am

What this may have going for it in terms of longevity is that is doesn't have 2 big names in the leads.

True, but it DOES have 2 big names behind the creation of the show. Saying "the creators of South Park" will most likely attract the same number of viewers (if not more) than the names Lane and Broderick.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#101THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:36am

Sales dropped off when Lane and Broderick left The Producers because people wanted to see Lane and Broderick. Most people buying tickets to Book of Mormon have no idea who Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells are, so they won't be disappointed when those two eventually leave.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#102THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:37am

I'd say the producers would be wise to campaign Gad as a featured actor. He could win there and I bet both he and O'Malley could end up nominated.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#103THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:38am

theatrguy, that was my point. bjh, my point also. The names behind the show won't leave so people will continue to go to the show.

Just give the world Love.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#104THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:40am

There's no Oscar-style "campaign." The producers will (or won't) submit a request to the Tony Administration Committee to put Gad in the Leading category (since he's billed below the title) and then the Committee decides if they agree or not.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#105THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:42am

Just to clarify, my comments were based on a comment I read ealier about its success as compared to "The Producers".

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#106THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:43am

Theatreguy, I think he meant the verb "campaign" to mean "appeal"... which is essentially what happens when the producers submit the proposal.

Americanboy99, they COULD do that, but I don't think it would be wise. If they want to WIN an award for acting, O'Malley is their best shot in featured. If they petition Gad to featured (which doesn't make sense since he comes out with Rannells before final bow) and they both get nominated, Gad and O'Malley could split votes and lose that category too. They should keep Gad in leading.
Updated On: 3/25/11 at 12:43 AM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#107THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:49am

I was aware of that, theatreguy. But thank you for clarifiying. I mis-worded.

bjh2114, that's an interesting thought. Though I doubt O'Malley would have any chance of winning against Tom Wopat, but who knows? CATCH ME might be absolutely savaged by every critic.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#108THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:49am

I wonder why there's been no B-roll of the show released yet...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#109THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 1:07am

Gad and Rannells have virtually the same amount of stage time and things to do- they truly are co-leads. That would be like the producers of The Producers putting Broderick as featured.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#110THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 5:57am

Toronto is wrong.

This show is as good as you're hearing it is -- and part of the delight of it is that the writing never lets you down. It's as classic a book structure as you'd ever get from Rodgers and Hammerstein. And that's part of the endless delight, that you know you're in firm hands who are going to deliver the goods.

Also, I'm glad Brantley didn't spoil it. There is literally a gasp-inducing surprise around every corner as you ride through this show. Each song sparkles with wit and intelligence, and each one propels the plot or illuminates character, or both. No sitting around waiting for a song to end.

It's also sweet, bursting with sincerity and heart, and so funny you honestly need to bring pampers or you'll soil yourself.

Anyone who doesn't like it can say that it's simply not to their taste. But they cannot say this is a cynical slag-off. You can tell they wrote every moment of this piece and meticulously thought it through, from beginning to end. And that is so satisfying to writer such as myself.

Brantley really nailed it perfectly. This is one terrific show.

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#111THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 6:44am

NY Post is a rave - 4 stars:

Mormon Conquest

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/mormon_conquest_twlCrNAUI2E2z4l2tOqAWM

Can't wait to see this tomorrow!!!
Updated On: 3/25/11 at 06:44 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#112THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 7:48am

I saw the entire BOM creative team this morning.

It looked like they were all together, sewing.

They must have been sewing up the Tony Awards.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

After Eight
#113THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 8:07am

Sad day when juvenile pap like this gets raves.

Repeat the word "scrotum" again and again and you're hip and cool. Hilarious.

More like pathetic.

Of course, it speaks as much to the decline in the level of theatre criticism as it does to the show.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#114THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:08am

Or maybe its just not aimed at you?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

songanddanceman2
#115THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:13am

NY1 - Rave from Roma
http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/theater_reviews/

She also comments on the fact they are not sending out B Roll footage

songanddanceman2
#116THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:18am

Forget the NY Times, the all important Word of Mouth is a rave
http://www.broadway.com/shows/book-mormon/video/153461/word-of-mouth-review-the-book-of-mormon/

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#117THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:33am

I'm thrilled for O'Malley the most...nothing like your performance being described as "star making".

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#118THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 10:03am

We called my paternal grandfather "Pap."

He was a miserable, humorless son of a bitch.

You know the type.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#119THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 10:23am

Darn, I was waiting for the NY1 review to see some video of the show and catch a snippet of the music. I wonder why they aren't releasing any video?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#120THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 10:49am

It's official: After Eight didn't like it, so it sucks! Disregard all the reviews, all the positive word of mouth, and your own personal thoughts, everyone! After Eight has declared it sucks and you probably suck for liking it!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#121THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 11:03am

Kad:

Very well put, Kad. I've always thought highly of your posts, never more so than now. :)

But actually, I'll have to correct you.

The show doesn't suck just because I don't like it. It sucks because.....

it sucks.

Barney Stinson
#122THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 11:22am

Sorry After Eight, you are dead wrong. No other way to put it. I feel sorry for you that you can't find enjoyment in a show this good. And it looks like almost EVERYONE disagrees with you. I'm guessing your sense of humor just isn't sophisticated enough.

I will say this though: The "I have maggots in my scrotum" running gag is the least funny bit of the show by far. But everything else is hilarious.

- In my opinion, Gad is more of the lead than Rannels. And I think he should win the TONY over Rannels as well. And that is no knock on Rannels. He was great. But I mean, the show closes with Gad's character completely in the spotlight (my attempt at not spoiling the ending), and he carries the second act.

thismyshow
#123THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 11:29am

their not releasing b roll for a reason, this is absolutely the type of show thats 1000 times more amazing when u see it fresh without hearing any of the music or see any of it beforehand....

Barney Stinson
#124THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 11:40am

I agree. I think it's smart not to release any info. The Uganda destination is much funnier if you don't know it's coming. A lot of the comedy is based on surprise (not shock).

Videos