AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#100Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:26am

New York Post - Positive 

http://nypost.com/2016/04/21/american-psycho-the-musical-chooses-comedy-over-carnage/

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

songanddanceman2
#101Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:36am

Variety mixed, like the first act, music, set, cast, lighting etc, not so keen on the second http://variety.com/2016/legit/reviews/american-psycho-review-musical-1201757842/

JM226
#102Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:28am

^ dude. give it up. 

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#103Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:39am

These reviews aren’t surprising. Full disclosure: I’m not a big fan of the movie or BEE’s writing in general, but the footage of the press preview that aired on “Theater Talk” a couple of weeks ago did nothing to get me interested in seeing this incarnation of Patrick Bateman’s story.  It looked – at least, divorced from the context of the rest of the show – pretty bad.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#104Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:54am

Eliva1 said: "Everyone made this musical to be best thing since sliced bread. It is not. You made me thing this might even be the best musical ever it is not. Its far far from anything good

"

A few people have claimed this was a masterpiece.  Some people hated it.  Many were in the middle....don't blame your interpretation on the boards.

I liked, I respected ...but I didn't love. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 4/22/16 at 07:54 AM

neonlightsxo
#105Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:05am

petewk87 said: "I'm a little surprised by the mixed reviews given the show's lead in Outer Critics Circle (which is supposed to include the majority of the press?)..."

The Outer Critics Circle is in no way the majority of the press. It's mostly random bloggers/critics who don't have enough clout to be on other panels.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#106Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:43am

Yes, the OCC even states on their website that they were created as a reaction to the Drama Critics Circle and how these more obscure critics couldn't get into that "charmed inner circle."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

songanddanceman2
#107Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:51am

JM226 said: "^ dude. give it up. 

Give what up? It's a review thread, I posted the reviews. Thought Variety, The Post etc were pretty big ones.

songanddanceman2
#108Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:59am

Positive https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Review-Scorching-Social-Satire-Musical-AMERICAN-PSYCHO-Examines-The-Demon-Banker-of-Wall-Street-20160422

in reality to be fair it didn't have a bad night, it got around 9 mixed to positive or positives, yes the Times and Vulture weren't fans but to walk away with that many positives on a show that was always going to be a tough one, I think they have done fine. I think it's enough to get them a best new musical nomination at The Tony Awards.

Updated On: 4/22/16 at 09:59 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#109Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:12am

It got mixed reviews. Not unlike its reception in London.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

songanddanceman2
#110Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:14am

London was more positive than these 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#111Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:24am

Not a Jesse Green fan either. His reviews reek of an "I'm Jesse Green and my **** doesn't stink" attitude. Much like Brantey who looks like the son of Joker in Batman , Green gives off an air like everyone around him is a peasant or serf whom he merely tolerates.He like many critics prejudge a show before even seeing it. Many think the sun rises and sets on him. Unfortunately, he gives off the same feeling about himself be they in print or when he is in a discussion like Theater Talk.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/22/16 at 10:24 AM

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#112Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:26am

The show doesn't work at all, except for Benjamin Walker. It is flat and undistinguished. To call this a masterpiece is hilarious. I went because of Duncan Sheik's work on SPRING AWAKENING, and was totally disappointed. And stop beating on Jesse Green, one of the few really good critics working today. 

But hey, other shows have run with lesser reviews, so you never know.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#113Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 11:30am

You like Green . Good for you. I do not. It is a free country. I also disagree re your take on  the show.

Poster Emeritus

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#114Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:25pm

Interesting how different critics saw different things on stage - well, except for Brantley who apparently only saw the well toned bodies (mentioned 4 times in his review).  Fortunately I never listen to reviewers- think most of them are out of touch and irrelevant in today's world. 

Theatre is very personal.

I personally thought it was intriguing and required time to settle in before the impact hit and will go back.

Robert16 Profile Photo
Robert16
#115Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:39pm

all reviews posted on "Did He Like It" site

http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/american-psycho-review.html

songanddanceman2
#116Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:57pm

Positive https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2016/american-psycho-review/

JM226
#117Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:23pm

you are twisting many of these reviews. a few of the ones you've labeled as "positive" are anything but that. maybe "mixed-to-positive" at best....  try being more neutral and objective in your interpretation of the reviews, just because you're so intent on seeing this failed piece succeed... 

neonlightsxo
#118Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:41pm

Speaking of twisting reviews, Did He Like It has the NYT marked as indifferent, when I would say he spat all over that.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#119Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:12pm

songanddanceman, you seem to be too heavily emotionally invested in this show for some reason.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#120Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:18pm

Show-Score seems to be a better aggregator of reviews. It reports a critical score of 61% based on critic reviews.

Show-Score.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#121Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:33pm

Why are we criticizing people for being emotionally invested in a show? You'd think a board like this would be a safe haven. We've all had shows that we fall in love with and want to see succeed.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#122Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:40pm

I think Show-Source is a great website (thanks for posting it Kad).

Interesting to look at how mixed the critical reviews are for almost all the new musicals this season (save Hamilton of course), especially since most believe this has been a very strong year for new shows. Like I said earlier, I don't think we can really look to the reviews as a good gage for how the Tony nominations will go.

AMERICAN PSYCHO: 61 (and still adding reviews)

ALLEGIANCE: 71

BRIGHT STAR: 67

DISASTER: 65

HAMILTON: 94

ON YOUR FEET: 75

SCHOOL OF ROCK: 74

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#123Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:57pm

Don't forget the first musical of the season, Amazing Grace, at 58. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#124Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 2:58pm

I think I blocked that one out. Thank you Whizzer.  Perhaps in that situation, we CAN look to the reviews as an indication of what I suspect will be zero Tony nominations for the incomparable AMAZING GRACE.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Videos