#101Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/28/24 at 9:51pm

I thought they were doing a live album?

omg these tempos lollllll

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#102Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/28/24 at 10:39pm

TotallyEffed said: "I thought they were doing a live album?

omg these tempos lollllll
"

The only mention of a recording was in the NYT in January, prior to the announcement of this concert: "Tunick is adapting the score of “A Little Night Music” for full orchestra, rendering it more suitable for performance by symphony orchestras and in opera houses. He will conduct a concert and recording of the new version this year." There hasn't been any confirmation since then. So if it happens, we don't know whether that's live or in a studio.

If they're wise maybe they'll make some personnel changes ahead of the album.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#103Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/28/24 at 11:17pm

Yes, that must be where I got the idea. I wonder if it will even happen.

Ptero2
#104Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 12:11am

Want to give some extra love to Jin Ha, who sang his big song so beautifully (and without a book!). He and Ruthie were the highlights of the night for me. Updated On: 6/29/24 at 12:11 AM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#105Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 12:41am

I want to say what a delightful evening it was!   As stated in an earlier post, I went in with low expectations - but left feeling so happy  to have seen it.

it wasn’t perfect - few things are - but the performances tonight were moving, entertaining, and delivered with so much heart.  
The orchestra sounded glorious - though the tempi were sluggish in Act 1.   
What a delightful night of music.   

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 6/29/24 at 12:41 AM

TotallyEffed
#106Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 2:53am

It was a lovely night but it did leave one wanting a bit more....the perfection of Sondheim is that presentations of his work are so rarely perfect. Maybe that's why we keep coming back!

Cynthia (who I wish was totally off-book) has such an undeniable confidence and stage presence. She had the audience in the palm of her freshly manicured, clawed hands. It really feels like she is taking up the mantle of the Barbras and Pattis of the world. She's a star and I think Wicked (whether it's good or not) will cement her into legendary status.

I'm an official fan of Jin Ha after seeing him in Here We Are and listening to the album nonstop for the last few weeks. He came prepared tonight and sung Silly People beautifully and effectively. A standout for sure.

Ruthie was fantastic. If this were on Broadway she'd probably have another statue to her name. Her comedic timing was fantastic and will only improve over the weekend as she navigates huge laughs from the audience, who adores her. She was fabulous, hilarious, and heartbreaking.

The rest of the casting is a bit hit or miss. Ron Raines was quite good due to his total conviction and commitment to this concert. I could tell he took this seriously and came super prepared. I had issues hearing some of his lyrics at times but he's very strong. Susan Graham just isn't much of an actress and I would have preferred an actress who sings as opposed to an opera singer that kind of acts. Her costume for Act Two was high camp, and not in a good way. I actually laughed when she came out. It looked like something out of a Muppets special. She did weirdly win me over a bit in the end. I'm not sure why. She's likable despite being miscast.

Marsha Mason made me nervous when she spoke the entirety of her part in Glamorous Life but she did sing more notes in Liaisons...

....which was so slow you could have driven a truck through every lyric. I absolutely adore Jonathan Tunick and it was an honor to see him conduct this. He is a genius and quite frankly he's responsible for half of the Sondheim "sound." But the music in the first act was painfully slow. Molasses. He picked it up significantly in Act Two which was very much appreciated. It was also quite hot at Lincoln Center tonight and the slower tempos and that lovely music in the warmth wasn't ideal.

The orchestra was simply divine and it was such a thrill to hear them. Absolutely lovely.

Another special New York night.

bluetuna
#107Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 4:19am

Saw it tonight.  Ruthie Ann Miles was an absolute standout for me.  I've never laughed so much at Charlotte's lines.  Cynthia Erivo's "The Miller's Son" was also great, and her acting was top notch.

My companion who attended with me was not familiar with the story at all, and I did my best to summarize it for him so he'd know what to expect.  Towards the end, he leaned over and asked me who the Liebeslieder Singers were...A concert version definitely makes elements of the show more complicated for those who aren't familiar with the work.

I was a bit surprised that they omitted Madame Armfeldt's toast to death at dinner.  It helps foreshadow her death.  There were several dropped lines throughout the show tonight, but that seems like a big one to forget or gloss over.

Updated On: 6/29/24 at 04:19 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#108Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 8:56am

The show works when Charlotte steals the whole thing. 

Ruthie did.

nycward
#109Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 10:38am

There are rush tickets for today's  performance at $50 each. I just called Centercharge and they sold them to me by phone, albeit with the $11 fee additional. That was $61 per ticket without having to stand on line before the performance. There are a lot of availablity and you can choose your location from the seating map online. Just a head's up. 

Mickey3309
#110Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 11:46am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "binau said: "Does the show really work if the Desiree doesn't?"

Yes
"

Strongly disagree. Perhaps some *moments* work due to other interesting roles.. but, no - the whole doesn’t “work” without a strong Desiree. Not saying it’s bad without an excellent Desiree and I don’t want to undermine standout performances, but definitely doesn’t give full impact unless she can really act. I suppose it depends on what you consider a show “working” to mean. But IMO for ALNM to really do its magic, it requires a great actress as Desiree. 

Updated On: 6/29/24 at 11:46 AM

Tenor8674
#111Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 4:04pm

Rushed this afternoon and got a 2nd row orchestra seat for $50. Couple next to me paid $175 a piece. It was very good but under rehearsed. Erivo stopped midway Miller's Son and had to get back on track.  Overall though, it was a nice afternoon. 

Updated On: 6/30/24 at 04:04 PM

nycward
#112Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/29/24 at 11:52pm

So I was there tonight for the final performance. I thought it all went smoothly as it probably should after three performances under their belt. I understand some of the casting complaints but vocally it all came together. Susan Graham's Send in the Clowns was touching as was Cynthia's Miller's Son exciting. Whatever complaints there might be, hearing this score with this large of an orchestra was a musical treat. I stayed thru the exit music and when Jonathan Tunick held up the score and looked up to heaven I was truly touched. All in all, a lovely evening at Geffen Hall if not perfect but worth the time spent. Of course, snagging a couple of Rush tickets down in the front Orchestra certainly allayed any criticisms that I might have had. Although Marsha Mason's death certainly felt shoehorned in by the director more out of necessity without any artistic merit. 

Ptero2
#113Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/30/24 at 10:27am

This is so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcF0SWoBbYc

TotallyEffed
#114Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
Posted: 6/30/24 at 10:41am

Did Kerstin chop off half her hair before the concert?

Updated On: 6/30/24 at 10:41 AM

Videos