pixeltracker

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07- Page 5

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#100re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:42pm

Wouldn't you be bumming?

Donna Lynne has a very positive outlook. She said she was grateful that they gave them so much advance notice. And the show HAD a good run, and was successful.

Wicked_fan
#101re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:45pm

wow.

I know all good things must come to an end... but I find this rather sudden...

I mean wasn't it just announced maybe a month ago that Michael and Patti were signed on until October...

I knew it would close sometime, but I didn't think this soon. I loved seeing this production too...it was my first Sweeney experience and I loved every second of it.

"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit"

-Feste from "Twelfth Night"

colored by esteem Profile Photo
colored by esteem
#102re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:50pm

Chica,
I'm not sure how I'd feel... relief possibly?
Seems like a tiring gig and one long run.
Donna Lynne's perspective is so refreshing - it's nice she can skew toward the positive.

How are YOU feeling?

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#103re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:53pm

Oh, I'm ok. I'm glad I found out from them, and not the press release.

I'm sad to see the show go so soon, but it had a nice run, and when it closes, it will be with the original cast intact. Shows like this never have long, successful runs. It's not a tourist driven show. But those of us who saw and loved it will always remember it. And that's ultimately all that matters.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#104re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:53pm

This breaks my heart, but it makes a few other things make sense. My mom told me that my aunt is playing auditions for Sweeney Todd and has been meeting with the producers. I was a bit confused because I hadn't heard of anyone leaving the show anytime soon. Now that I know she's playing for tour auditions, it makes a lot more sense.

If I hadn't decided to get an apartment rather than go to NYC in November, this would clinch it for me. RIP Sweeney.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Chrysanthemum62001
#105re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:25am

*cries* I feel so bad for them. The day after the reviews came out Michael said don't worry this production will be around a long time. re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 And then I think about how we saw the second preview and as they signed autographs, they asked us what we thought. I was speechless of course, and Michael and Alex were like "if you liked it, tell your friends. we hope this last longer than Assassins."
*cries*

I will say this. Michael Cerveris is one hell of a Sweeney Todd, and the cast is perhaps the most talented ensemble ever. And at times like this, I feel it's best to say "...Michael's got a head like a ping pong ball" just to cheer everyone up!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

NathanLaneStalker
#106re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:32am

ah well. We all knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. I haven't seen it yet so I need to get on that.

At least the tour will be happening! I can see Manoel going on tour with it!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#107re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:38am

"And I think the proposed film version more than anything would keep this production from being taped."

I would be soo pissed if this were true!! I would MUCH rather have a copy of this production than an on screen version with hollywood. Grr

I really did not expect to be this upset

" And at times like this, I feel it's best to say "...Michael's got a head like a ping pong ball" just to cheer everyone up! "

thanks Chrys...it brought a smile to my face. Than I hoofed it over to Broadway.com and watched that vid and their opening night vid and am back to being depressed. But it does make me smile! Such a talented awesome fun cast!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

C is for Company
#108re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 1:29am

I just got in and found out about this tonight and am just crushed that I can't be there the closing night. I love this cast, production, and overall show to death. I am very torn seeing it go, but it will have the original cast intact and we have more Doyle on the way folks. But nothing will ever be as groundbreakingly breathtaking as this show. It was just a sight to see and the cast was just brilliantly perfect :)

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#110re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 1:48am

"They should tape the show and put it on DVD"

AMEN! Who wants to start a petition to get PBS to broadcast this?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 7/31/06 at 01:48 AM

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#111re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 1:59am

1) Yes yes yes!!! PBS pleeeeeeeeease!
2) Sad news, but a healthy run. All ten of the cast members are beyond talented.
3) SO stoked I'm seeing it again on Aug. 8th! Anyone else going to be there that day?
4) Michael's head IS like a ping-pong ball. Heeeeeeeeeead, like a ping-pong ball!

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

DramaQueen700 Profile Photo
DramaQueen700
#112re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 5:10am

im from Los Angeles, and I think i m ight just drain my savings and fly out to see sweeney. am i totaly crazy or is it worth it. im in love with the show and want to see the original cast not the tour!

Where is the best place to sit? is it better to be up front on the side (i.e. row B on the right side in the aisle) or a little farther back in the center (i.e. row g in the center)...those were my options.

any opinions! i need help!

"The Light in the Piazza....My Love"

Chrysanthemum62001
#113re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 5:50am

I would definitely say it's worth it!

Honestly, either one of those seats would be great. Though for a first-timer, the seats in the center might be better. You will have a nice panoramic view. Honestly, it just depends on what you prefer. I like to be closer to the stage, but at the same time you loose a little bit of perspective when you are so close. My two favorite areas are the front row center seats, and the center seats from about row D to row H.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

bwayondabrain
#114re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 7:40am

this is sad! its such a great show, and i feel sorry for the cast.
but oh well, time for a new sondheim show to open...
best wishes to the cast and crew!
re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

broadwaybound882
#115re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:31am

Very sad indeed. i'll try to rush on 9/3. Wrote a nice LONG message to Lauren on MySpace.

whyhelloheart Profile Photo
whyhelloheart
#116re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 9:11am

Nooooo =[

It was expected, but I didn't think so soon! =[[[[[[

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#117re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:13am

Quite disappointing to hear that Sweeney will be closing. Wish they had gotten more accolades with the astonishing work this ensemble has done. But they're going out while they're still doing amazing work. Best wishes for all of their future endeavors...

30/90 Playout
#118re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 11:43am

Got tixs to see for the fifth and final time:

Center ORCH, Row H, Seats 107-108.

BWW Party!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 11:47am

I realized another reason I'm not very upset about this is because Company is coming! and Sunday may be coming next year.

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#120re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:16pm

^^ Yay! Although...is that their poster for it? Anyways yay I can't wait. It makes Sweeney's departure slightly less painful.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#121re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:21pm

So sad, I'm glad I got to see it though.. and I'm very excited for Company.

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#122re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:24pm

Best not to have two Doyle/Sondheims at the same time?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#123re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:28pm

Woooo, Company!!!

I cannot freaking wait. It is, if possible, even more glorious than Sweeney. It's also quite possibly very near to perfect.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#124re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:28pm

I hope it is the 7th show for SF!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

Chrysanthemum62001
#125re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:42pm

I am thrilled beyond beleif about Company. But still, it would have been nice to see Sweeney stay around a while. It was the ideal theatre experience.

Videos