pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 5

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#100re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:45pm

Grey Gardens was recommended to me by a friend who saw the show off-Broadway and I have purchased tickets for December. I have enjoyed reading all of the discussion of GG and am looking forward to seeing it. I know Mary Louise Wilson and admire her work. This will be my first viewing of Christine Ebersole and from what I have read she is something to behold. I hope the show does well.
When does The View come on TV and what is the channel?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#101re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:49pm

The View is on at 11 EST on ABC.

But there isn't an announced performance yet...just speculation that there will be one.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#102re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:52pm

AshleyBrownFan,
I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry, but I'm gonna have to say this.
What the hell is wrong with you? Ms. Ebersole gives what will be the standout performance of the year. You can't be so bias against what will be a moderately successful show because its star will give (has given) a better performance than your namesake!
And thank God for Roundabout and those revivals! It's good to preserve shows that are not as well known and let them have one more spin.
Updated On: 9/14/06 at 04:52 PM

munkustrap178
#103re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 5:00pm

Yup.

I just lost respect for that poster. Let's cross our fingers and hope that that poster is very young, and not just slow.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

RentBoy86
#104re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 5:22pm

Why wouldn't they? It's a critically acclaimed off-Broawday musical with a big chance at grabbing a couple Tonys. They could have put in a limited engagment play or something to fill in the spot between. Like with Grinch.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#105re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 5:43pm

Here are my picks

Kristin Chenoweth - Aple Tree
Stephanie J. Block- Pirate Queen
Christine Ebersole- Grey Gardens
Audra McDonald- 110 in the Shade
Laure Bell Bundy- Legally Blonde

I would love to see Kristin win her first lead Tony, but I just see Ebersole getting it. However, Block is always a contender. So, is Audra. With Bundy, I think, if she even gets nominated, won't get it. She'll be great, but I doubt it will happen. Oh, but LaChanze won. So, anything is possbile. I just don't know.

My vote is for Kristin.

But my prediction is Ebersole.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#106re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 6:23pm

If she gets nominated,, I wouldn't call Block a "contender". That will be her first Tony nomination.

My picks:

Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens
Audra McDonald, 110 in the Shade
Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree
Donna Murphy, LoveMusik
Debra Monk, Curtains

My pick to win is Ebersole, if Grey Gardens stays open until the nominations. Then either McDonald or Ebersole, with maybe a suprise win.

Edit: Revised to include Donna and Debra.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 2/25/07 at 06:23 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#107re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 6:44pm

AshleyBrownFan, why would the move Hairspray? It's been at Neil Simon for what, 4 years now. You don't just move a show just to fit something else in.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#108re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 7:01pm

Well, actually, sometimes you do...but not usually shows that are underperforming like HAIRSPRAY is currently.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#109re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 7:02pm

But doesn't it usually apply to shows that weren't running for as long? Hairspray's been running for awhile, it just doesn't make sense to move it.

munkustrap178
#110re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 7:10pm

Your vote is for Kristin?

How can you even vote for someone that hasn't completely performed yet? And you haven't even seen her competition.

This thread just got silly.

And what do you mean Block is always a contendor? She has been on Broadway once before and did not receive a Tony nomination. How is she ALWAYS a contendor?

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#111re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 7:16pm

Celia Keenan Bolger for Les Mis. She should definitely be nominated.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#112re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 7:22pm

The original production of 42ND STREET changed theatres twice in its long run. LES MIZ moved after several years at the Broadway Theatre. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST moved after five years at the Palace. CHICAGO moved from the Shubert to the Ambassador, etc.

Shows historically have moved for lots of reasons, its usually just a very expensive thing to do, and producers don't usually bother with the expense unless a show as at least several more years life left in it...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#113re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:23pm

What do most of you people find so great about Stephanie J. Block? I haven't seen her performance (nor has anyone), but why is she a contender?
Munk's absolutely right. This is a ridiculous thread. We haven't even started seeing new musicals or plays yet, let alone Best Actress nominees!

bwayondabrain
#114re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:28pm

well, I'll be in NYC this December, and I can report back from LES MIS and GREY GARDENS who I think will be contenders re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders haha, sorry, im just very excited i got tickets!
:)

MargoChanning
#115re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:34pm

Well, some of us have seen Chenoweth and Ebersole in their roles and both were brilliant and will clearly be among the frontrunners for this award. Others have also seen D'Amboise. I also saw Lea Michele in Spring Awakening a few months ago. Given McDonald's a 4 time winner, it's hardly a stretch to think she has a solid chance of being nominated. In addition, Block, Bundy, Monk, Colella and others have each done excellent work in the past so it's hardly far-fetched that they might do well in their upcoming roles this season.

While it might be ridiculous to be predicting winners at this point, I don't see any harm in discussing who'll likely be in contention for the 5 slots come Tony time next year.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178
#116re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:37pm

No, it's not the guessing game of who will be nominated that got silly, it's when people start saying things that don't make any sense, ie: AshleyBrownFan, Kristin should win, etc.

I think Kristin will be ravishing in THE APPLE TREE. I only hope that Griffin is up for directing the project. I am very nervous about it. His work on THE COLOR PURPLE is...well...not good.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#117re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:40pm

I agree, Margo.

It's gonna be a fun season if we're already dishing about people who have yet to be on this season's boards...

Don't ya love the thea'tah?

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

bwayondabrain
#118re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:43pm

wow, i just read ashley brown fan's comments about GREY GARDENS...harsh!
to tell you the truth, A.B.F.- you said the show is going to flop. so far, i had the hardest time getting tickets for that show (even harder getting tickets for this than LES MIS!) so i wouldnt call it a flop yet...
anywho...

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#119re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 8:43pm

It's going to be a fun year. I just hope that as many shows as possible do well. And I wish people wouldn't trash shows just because they want their favorite to win. Broadway is a great COMMUNITY. And at the end of the day, are we doing it for the Tony or for the love/art?

Ok--the Tony, but ya know what I mean! re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

RentBoy86
#120re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 12:28am

I'm just excited by all the new recordings all I have by season's end. Here's hoping they record Les Miz!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#121re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 1:16am

I've worked on other musicals that didn't sell well and they ran until the tonys because the producers fought through the bad weeks.

Jerby, what were the shows?

PEACE.

Nick Plasia
#122re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 2:26am

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for GREY GARDENS to close.
Apparently the new cast members are stunning and the rewrites
and new songs soar.

And let's not forget....these producers adore the show & have extraordinarily deep pockets to back up their passion!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#123re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:47am

For those that have seen "Curtains"....

Is Debra Monk's role big enough for lead? I always though (based on everything I've heard about the show so far) that DHP would be the only Lead and everyone else would be Featured.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

FoscasBohemianDream
#124re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:28am

I'd consider Debra Monk's role to be a featured role but she is billed above the title and I believe the role is technically big enough to be considered for the leading actress category (very similar to what happen last season with Sutton Foster in The Drowsy Chaperone).

Videos