pixeltracker

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?- Page 5

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

RoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
#100re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:49pm

Updated On: 1/18/08 at 12:49 PM

RoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
#101re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:50pm

Liverpool, part of the beauty of Second Stage is that it's a breeding ground for new work. Three of the four shows a season are brand new works by living American playwrights. The fourth is a "second staging" of a show by a living American playwright that didn't do well it's first time on the scene. That revisit is a way to help it flourish and see how it can succeed now.

Previews at Second Stage are an incredible learning opportunity for every single member of the show's company - director, writer, performer, stagehands, et cetera. They're experimenting, editing, adding, then subtracting, then adding again. The show's not open yet. You can dislike something, but don't write it off just yet. Wait til it opens! Jeeze!

Yankeefan007
#102re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/18/08 at 1:20pm

If you want to be "technical" about it - their "2nd Stagings" are/were of shows that have huge followings on the community circuit.

Some Americans Abroad and subUrbia are huge in terms of colleges, etc. It's just that they haven't been seen in NY for oh, a solid 20 years.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#103re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/18/08 at 1:32pm

Liverpool, did you bother to read what I wrote? I saw the show last night, and the ending has not changed.

No, I didn't like it, but it can (and I suspect will) be fixed. This is too good a show (I think it is EASILY the best musical of this season) for them to not fix what they need.

Relax.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#104re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/18/08 at 11:59pm

any news from tonight's performance?

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#105re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:34am

All hugging removed. I hope that helps.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Cugirl Profile Photo
Cugirl
#106re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:44am

Hugging removed?! YES!! Can somebody describe the new ending for me? Does Diana come back now and everything peachy keen or is it the more powerful "full circle" kind of ending from FE?

joniray -- No, they didn't remove it. It's still there, thank god. I just thought that the impact that Dan was having his own mental problems was more highlighted in the FE ending than the N2N ending I saw on the first preview night.

Two nights after the show, and I still have the songs stuck in my head. :)

"Das Gegenteil von Krieg ist nicht Frieden...sondern Schöpfung!" - German Mark Cohen

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#107re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:49am

I don't think it's about him having "mental problems," per se, but about what being in a relationship with someone who is unstable can do to the person who is their rock, so to speak -- how much that can wear you down, and wreak havoc on your own state. Trying to handle everything has sent Dan himself into therapy; it brings that question he asks, about who's crazier -- the person who's actually unhinged or the one who stays with him or her -- full circle. It's about the idea that as solid and firm as you might be, try as you might to keep your head above water, it is incredibly difficult to survive a relationship like that unscathed.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 12:49 AM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#108re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:49am

Saw it tonight. Thought it was AMAZING. The music is stuck in my head. I hope this show gets recorded.

I'll need to sleep on it before I have more coherent thoughts, but it was my first exposure to the show in any capacity, and I thought it was just...wonderful.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#109re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:02am

The music is unbelievable. This is definitely what a LOT of us have been waiting for. :)

I thought the cast was pretty great, with the possible exception of Sommers, who is good but I think miscast.

The end could use a rewrite, but only because you care SO much about these characters, you want to see justice by them.

It's really a fantastic score.
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 01:02 AM

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#110re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:04am

I can't get enough, I need a CD yesterday. And I keep wanting to go back...

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#113re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 4:40am

Saw this tonight as well...still trying to gather my thoughts, but I was very disappointed in Alice Ripley. I remember her voice being so beautiful and powerful and it did not come across that way for me tonight.

More positive thoughts tomorrow...that just stuck out to me.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#114re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 9:59am

I'm so glad to read so many other positive comments! I was blown away by this piece when I saw it, and I cannot wait to go back.

This is shaping up to be a really remarkable show.

I'm also pleased, but not surprised, that the ending has been fixed somewhat.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#115re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:09am

Does anyone know if they have rush?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

hypno68 Profile Photo
hypno68
#116re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:12am

Jordan- There's both a student rush and a youth advance. Student Rush is $15 cash or charge, one per id, sold 1 hour before the show subject to availability. Youth advance for those 25 years old or younger is available anytime for $25.
And good news- word from the cast is that the show will be recorded by Sh-K-Boom (thank god for them) regardless of transferring

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#117re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:15am

Oh sweet! Thanks so much! I guess I know what I'm gonna try to do tonight. (Or this afternoon if I can get my rear in gear.) Just line up at the theatre as per normal student rush stuff?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Yankeefan007
#118re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:21am

The Student Rush is an hour before the performance. Any seat that's available. If it's sold out, they sell General Admission tickets.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#119re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:15pm

Anyone at the matinee today? Any new changes? Look forward to any reports from the vening perf.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#120re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:33pm

I ended up deciding not to deal with the headache that is the G-train shuttle bus today, so I didn't go. I plan to one of these days though.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#121re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:25pm

any news from today?

suzannefabulous
#122re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:54pm

^ Several people have posted about this evening's performance. Maybe read up a few posts.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#123re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:59pm

umm NO ONE has posted about this evenings performance. maybe you should check the time stamps before trying to be smart.

suzannefabulous
#124re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 12:10am

My bad. And oh how I enjoy your "umm"s.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#125re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:02am

yeah, they come in handy.

Cugirl Profile Photo
Cugirl
#126re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:32am

emcee -- agreed, I didn't mean that he had a mental illness to the extent that Diana had, but he certainly had demons of his own.

"Das Gegenteil von Krieg ist nicht Frieden...sondern Schöpfung!" - German Mark Cohen

Videos