pixeltracker

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30- Page 5

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30

LoveIsCompany
#100re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:42pm

I know that they're pretty dead set on having their "main alumni" come back... so one can only assume that'd mean Blanchard. I mean given this economy and everything who knows, maybe this won't happen, but I can tell you that they're actively starting to look at casting and seek out "alumni."

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#101re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:48pm

Would Terrance Mann be a candidate?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#102re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:48pm

Would you by any chance know if they are trying to get Steve Blanchard back?

Oh please god, no. He was so bored with that role. Phoned it in for the last 3 years or so.

If they're looking for "main alumni" that must mean they want Blanchard and Sarah Litzsinger.

ILuv2shop531
#103re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:51pm

If Disney closed TLM to have a theater to bring B&B back that would be very ironic. Being as they closed B&B to "Make Way for The Little Mermaid".

& Terrence Mann is doing Adams Family later in the winter, so he prob would be unable to do the Beast since he is preparing for the other role.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#104re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:51pm

Or Ashley Brown...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#106re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:56pm

Hahaha

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

camncal
#107re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:04pm

i hope they revive this in the future with better sets and direction. they really messed it up given the great material they had.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#108re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:16pm

So B&TB: Xmas version goes into the Lunt for two months. If White Christmas does return; where could it play??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwayboy522
#109re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:16pm

I'm sure that Steve probably phoned it in some during his 8 year run, who wouldn't? But the several times I saw him in the last year of the run and the final weekend, final performance, he gave a wonderful performance! When he's into it he's really good so if they brought him back since it would be a limited run I'm sure he probably wouldn't be phoning it in.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#110re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:24pm

God, I hope that their theme park show that is transferring is not FINDING NEMO, how sad would that be? It'd make more sense if it was something like HUNCHBACK...actually, it'd make more sense if they stopped putting theme park shows on Broadway.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#111re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:26pm

I wish they'd get Brynn O'Malley to finally play Belle (I know she got to go on once when she covered it, but that doesn't count). She'd be fantastic, I think.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#112re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:52pm

^^^^ I agree! Brynn is a wonderful actress and a beautiful women. It would be great to see her as Belle!

and P.S. NOBODY SHOULD DOUBT LOVEISCOMPANY. I promise loveiscompany knows the scoop!

I'll take the wind and soar.

LoveIsCompany
#113re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:59pm

They tried to transfer Nemo a few years ago but with no luck. I've heard talk of both Aladdin (a more polished and refined version of the one that played in California Adventure, for those of you who saw it), as well as Hunchback building on the film. I think Disney learned their lesson with the backlash that came with the set for Mermaid, so here's to hoping that whatever comes next isn't flaunting heelies.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#114re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:01am

I am wondering. Might Disney at some point close Popins to bring back the production of Beauty and The Beast that originally played at The Palace rather then the one with the dumbed down sets that were from the tour that played for a few years at The Lunt?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#115re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:14am

It's doubtful, given the fact that not many people know the difference, and the newer production will make them just as much money, and cost a lot less.

LoveIsCompany
#110re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:25am

Adamgreer hit it on the head. I mean honestly, as much as I despise the mouse, it's pretty genius to run this show as a limited holiday engagement for all the families that come through and all those tourists that want holiday magic. Plus, with the new song(s?) that they'll be adding in with the Christmas component, I'm sure a few people will justify going back to see it :)

degrassifan
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:25am

This is sad news. I had high hopes for it. I really liked most of the new songs, but the creative team made some dumb choices.
For example, who was the "smart" person that came up with the idea of having "Under the Sea" sung after the destruction of Ariel's grotto?

Anyway, hopefully it gets revived years from now with a better creative team (i.e. costumes, sets, etc). Or better yet, why not a live action movie based on the musical? If they can do Transformers, Harry Potter, etc, why not TLM? Just a thought.

Question: Is there a better way to portray mermaids on stage instead of using heelies or wires?

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:29am

I'm down for a Christmasy Beauty and the Beast.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#112re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 1:20am

Apparently Disney has already sold Ariel to Chicken of the Sea and she'll be available in the 5 oz tins at a Fairway near you real soon.

Those Disney people waste nothing, I tell you, nothing!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Fosse76
#113re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:28am

"I'm not going to defend my legitimacy, just sharing the wisdom I have from firsthand encounters and information."

Disney's wanted to bring back Beauty and the Beast since opening night of The Little Mermaid. It isn't as if any of this news is revelatory.

"They tried to transfer Nemo a few years ago but with no luck."

No, they didn't. The show at Disney's Animal Kingdom is only two years old, and in no way was remotely ready for a Broadway transfer. They would have to do an entire re-design of the show for Broadway, and add at least one more hour to the running time.

AndAllThatJazz22
#114re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:44am

NETworks is producing a tour of this show as a part of their 2009-2010 season. From an E-Mail, NETworks told me that the tour is going to be a never before seen production with a brand new lighting design, brand new set, ect...

NETworks rarely ever mounts their own original productions. As a matter of fact, every NETworks production that I can think of has been a tour of a former production. (The Wizard of Oz tour is a tour of the RSC production, The Sweeney Todd Tour was a tour of the Doyle Revival, ect...). Is there a chance that disney is mounting a never-before-seen production of BATB this holiday season and NETworks is going to use the same lighting design, staging, sets, props ect...

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#115re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:22am

Ooooo! That's a great idea!! They should do it! BaTB would be such a success for holiday tourists.

I thought all the actors in Little Mermaid were fantastic but the show itself belonged in an amusement park.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#116re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:25am

I may have actually just died.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
#116re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:26am

i can't believe they are closing THE LITTLE MERMAID!!!!! i am well gutted!!

Videos