pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 54

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

neonlightsxo
#1325The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:33am

Honestly the schedule changes frequently, so it depends on what dates you're looking at.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1326The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:40am

Tickets are on sale through May and show single-performance Sundays through then, though. Not trying to call you out or anything at all, neon, I'm just confused by what you're talking about. 

neonlightsxo
#1327The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:45am

I'll repeat what I said then. I literally just quoted Javier's pinned tweet which mentions the possibility of two show Sundays. Relax. I don't have the schedule memorized but they've had them in the past. 

https://twitter.com/jmunozactor/status/760228688407457792

philham2
#1328The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:51am

Do you think I'll be safe purchasing tickets for a Tuesday show?

BroadwayConcierge
#1329The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:51am

That tweet doesn't go to anything, but okay!

philham2, barring any unforeseen injury or potential vacation time, yes, you should be pretty safe catching Javi on a Tuesday night. 

philham2
#1330The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:56am

I think this is the tweet in question.

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

Javier Muñoz (@JMunozActor)

8/1/16, 5:40 PM

I'm off Sundays & Mondays (unless its a 2 show Sunday in which I'll do 1 performance those Sundays which is TBD) @HamiltonMusical

BroadwayConcierge
#1331The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:59am

Ah! Thank you. All I was confused by. Apologies, neon.

neonlightsxo
#1332The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 10:59am

Link works fine for me. Don't know why you're so angry.

BroadwayConcierge
#1333The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/12/16 at 11:02am

Not sure I was expressing anger, but okay.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#1334The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 12:32pm

Some (long-ish) thoughts on the most recent performance, Sunday the 11th matinee –

This was my first time seeing the show, having bought our tickets back in November.

Great seats, 2nd row center front mezzanine.

Performances:

Michael Luwoye –   this guy is incredibly talented.  Great voice, great rapping, his performance as Hamilton is very intelligent and commanding.  The arc of the character from beginning to end is very meticulously thought out and deliniated.  I was initally disappointed when I learned that Javier is out Sundays, but my wife and I were both really impressed by Luwoye.  I can definitely see him taking over the role full time down the road.  I imagine he’ll also make a very good Burr.

Brandon Victor Dixon – really fabulous, loved his work here.  Comparing his performance only the audio version of LOJ’s performance on the OCR, he seems to have a very unique take on the character.  His Burr is surprisingly funny and self-effacing.  Very dynamic throughout, varying from low-key to intense.  A few sections of the score seemed a little low in his voice ( the first half of “Wait For It” comes to mind), but once he is able to unleash his upper register his singing is pretty spectacular.  He KILLS “Room Where It Happens”.  So good.

Mandy Gonzalez is just about perfect as Angelica.  Even after only a week, she’s giving a STELLAR performance.  Once she has a few more weeks under her belt, the more intense rap sections of “Satisfied” will seem more second nature, but she nails the song.  Can’t say enough great things about her work here.  I honestly missed Angelica’s presence in the second act, which I didn’t notice as much when listening to the cast album.

Elizabeth Judd was on as Eliza.  Was curious to see Lexi Lawson, as I’ve heard very mixed things on her. Judd was...fine.  She has an attractive voice, somewhat on the light side, but she didn’t have much trouble with the score.  I think the role benefits from a really strong actress, however.  Some nice moments, nothing too memorable.

I was so relived that Chris Jackson was on.  Very grateful to have caught his performance before he moves on.  Such a tremendous performance as Washington.  “One Last Time” was just phenomenal.  I was absolutely moved to tears.

Seth Stewart was on as Lafayette/Jefferson.   I was kind of hoping to see Andrew Chappelle, but enjoyed Seth nonetheless.  His Lafayette is fun, but not really memorable.  The blue headband looks a bit odd on a bald guy.  Although his rapping is not super-impressive ( Luwoye overpowers him in the Cabinet Battles) his Jefferson was otherwise totally delightful.  Loved his work in the second act.

It was nice to see Oak and Anthony and Jasmine, and they were fun to be sure.

Really got a kick out of Thayne as Seabury.

Rory is pretty damn terrific as the King.

At the curtain call, Austin Smith and another company member I didn't recognize came out for a special bow and hugged.  I assume this was their last day with the show?

Despite hearing so many great things about the sound design for this production, I have to say that I was a little bit disappointed by the sound quality.  Maybe it was an off day.  I can’t describe the issue technically, but the sound seemed a bit echo-y and indistinct.  Noticed a couple of issues with Michael Luwoye’s mic and Chris Jackson’s cut out for a moment or two.

Also, some of the ensemble vocals seemed a bit sloppy, in terms of entrances and cutoffs.  Not sure if this was a sound or a conducting issue.

Quibbles aside, it was an incredible, overwhelming experience, beginning to end, and it was so very worth the long long wait since last fall when I first fell in love with this show. 

Updated On: 9/13/16 at 12:32 PM

neonlightsxo
#1335The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 12:51pm

"At the curtain call, Austin Smith and another company member I didn't recognize came out for a special bow and hugged.  I assume this was their last day with the show?"

Daniel Watts. It was.

Thanks for your thoughts! Updated On: 9/13/16 at 12:51 PM

thirtythirtyninety
#1336The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 12:55pm

Thanks!  Another thing I noticed in the Playbill:  Jevon McFerrin is not listed in any capacity.  Is he still with the show?

Michael Luwoye is already listed as a Burr understudy, as well.

neonlightsxo
#1337The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 1:01pm

Jevon McFerrin is a standby, so he may have chosen not to be listed and instead opt for a full page/larger insert with his photo and bio.

He's on the website, so I imagine he's with the show. He only just joined.

http://www.hamiltonbroadway.com/cast.php

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#1338The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 5:26pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "Some (long-ish) thoughts on the most recent performance, Sunday the 11th matinee –

Despite hearing so many great things about the sound design for this production, I have to say that I was a little bit disappointed by the sound quality.  Maybe it was an off day.  I can’t describe the issue technically, but the sound seemed a bit echo-y and indistinct.  Noticed a couple of issues with Michael Luwoye’s mic and Chris Jackson’s cut out for a moment or two.

Also, some of the ensemble vocals seemed a bit sloppy, in terms of entrances and cutoffs.  Not sure if this was a sound or a conducting issue.

Interesting that you mention this, thirtythirtyninety, as I had noted this as well when I saw the matinee on 9/7. It wasn't enough to be really distracting or detract from my enjoyment of the show, but I did think that the ensemble didn't sound quite as tight as when I saw it in August 2015 (or on the cast recording, but of course they're never going to sound that perfect live.) I wonder if it has to do with the transitions going on in the ensemble.

Regarding the sound in general, I did also notice that some of the vocals weren't as clear as when I was there the first time; in particular Chappelle as Jefferson and BVD as Burr - some of the faster lyrics were a little indistinct. Hopefully this was just an issue with that performance or maybe with BVD in particular still getting comfortable with the role. I did think the sound quality was great the first time I saw it.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

thirtythirtyninety
#1339The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/13/16 at 5:50pm

there were a few numbers where it felt like the entire ensemble was maybe a half or a quarter beat behind the percussion at times.

HerculesMulligan
#1340The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 7:34am

Not sure where to put this but I found this brilliant Hamilton Mash Up today which you guys would like!

https://www.facebook.com/bennythejukebox/videos/1137306043015745/

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1341The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 8:22am

HerculesMulligan said: "Not sure where to put this but I found this brilliant Hamilton Mash Up today which you guys would like!

https://www.facebook.com/bennythejukebox/videos/1137306043015745/

"

After listening to that all of 20 seconds I guess i am not an "Obsessive"

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1342The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 8:41am

HerculesMulligan said: "Not sure where to put this but I found this brilliant Hamilton Mash Up today which you guys would like!"

Right... you "found it."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#1343The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 10:34am

Gregory Treco is joining the cast as a standby of Burr & Washington.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKUelQgjZPe/

(Another standby but no full-time Lafayette/Jefferson... ??)

neonlightsxo
#1344The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 10:36am

I can't even, anymore.

BroadwayConcierge
#1345The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 10:41am

RIDICULOUS. I mean, I'm super happy for Treco who I'm sure deserves the part, but COME. ON.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1346The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 11:02am

Is Sydney Harcourt still there?  I ask because he covers Aaron Burr and George Washington, too.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MyLife
#1347The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 11:09am

Sydney is still there but the show lost Austin Smith so they are down a Burr/Washington cover.

neonlightsxo
#1348The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 12:07pm

And I assume if they hired a new Burr/Washington, Nick Christopher is gone again?

thirtythirtyninety
#1349The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/14/16 at 1:56pm

Nick Christopher wasn't listed anywhere in the Playbill this weekend, for what it's worth

Videos