JCS Previews Thread

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#125JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:38pm

Then stop playing. Just don't pretend someone is inferior because they call you out on making nasty remarks.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#126JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:39pm

That's not why you're inferior, sweetness.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#127JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:49pm

Oh, do tell!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#128JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:57pm

Just Crazy Sh*t?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

chrisampm2
#129JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 4:15pm

Newintown, MisterMatt isn't the only one who finds your comment on critics to be flame-throwing at its worst. Every aspect is overblown: "Look - they're all failures - they either failed to be a part of theatre, or they failed as journalists and got put on the arts beat. Either way, there's no reason to respect them." Even if they all wanted to participate in making theatre or wanted to be journalists of another stripe, I wouldn't care so long as they're good at critiquing theatre - offering perspective to the creators and audience on a work's goals and its success or failure on reaching them. There have been several who've done that in each of the cities I've lived and I'm grateful for the service they provide.
Based on your comment, why should I respect your opinion?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#130JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 4:34pm

No reason at all. You have free will (at least according to some philosophies). I'm not here to try to change the way you think. Agree/disagree - does it really matter?

chrisampm2
#131JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 5:32pm

All righty then. No discussion here. Moving on.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#132JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 5:38pm

It's not the first time a show has transfered because of raves, and didn't do well. Or vice versa. "In The Heights" didn't do well off-Broadway, but managed a successful run on Broadway. Etc.

erinrebecca
#133JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 5:49pm

Anyone here see the matinee today? Jeremy was on as JC.

ArtMan
#134JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 6:16pm

Back in the 90's I saw a touring production of JCS, with Ted Neeley and Syretta. This was my first and only exposure to the show. Although I enjoyed some songs, I felt like the production was dated, even in the 1990's. My friend wants to see this in June. Was the tour production I saw, the reason I felt the material dated? Or is is a production that just doesn't hold up?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#135JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 6:25pm

I saw the tour in the 90's at MSG. It did seem dated but it was the Production itself I believe. There really wasn't a strong design sense at all, Not like the Original Broadway Production.
I am seeing this next Tuesday. I am sort of looking forward to it? However after reading the reviews on here and hearing the Fan conert, maybe not so much.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#136JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 9:05pm

Get the live recording of Drew Sarich singing Jesus. It's on Itunes. It's brilliant and messy. It's exactly how the show should sound, to me. It's raw and interesting.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#137JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 11:02pm

Thanks Ripped, sampled some of the tracks and sounds very much like I think it should! Will have to add that to my iTunes library.

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Rabekriegerin
#138JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 12:02am

RippedMan - just out of my own curiosity - 2004/5 or 2011 Vienna cast?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#139JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 12:15am

Hm. Didn't know there two. Must be the 2004 one because I've had the album for longer than a year. It's got a hand with a microphone on the cover. It's awesome.

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Rabekriegerin
#140JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 12:51am

Yes, that's the one - with Serkan Kaya as Judas, right?

There is the album from just last year that's quite brilliant as well. (His portrayal of Jesus seems to have gotten even more visceral and compelling with time, somehow). You can find pieces of it around online; the cover is Drew as Jesus and a burning cross. If you like his portrayal - and it's not for everyone, granted - it might be worth checking out. :)

Now, if he were playing in the Broadway revival, I'd be there in a heartbeat... but that is neither here nor there, I suppose. I've been thinking of making this JCS one of the shows I see in NYC this summer, but the word of mouth in this thread is making me second-guess. I suppose I shall have to wait and see.

Updated On: 3/8/12 at 12:51 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#141JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 1:16am

Jeremy Kushnier went on as Jesus for both performances today! Kind of surprised, but also I wish I had been there.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#142JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 4:39pm

Jeez u guys are just totally off! I mean, its the 1st PRE views- let them find their feet!
I saw the show last Sat matinee and it was fine- not great(yet) but highly enjoyable.
Some of your points are valid but as also noted are really part of the book and not really adjustable. I never minded that Jesus doesn't have la charisma- he is a man staring into the abyss- so yes he doesn't seem as poweful a leader as we might have thought- he's a little distracted. Paul Nolan was in good voice for ""Gesthamene" that day, wailed and every thing.. Josh Young as Judas was also good- and I LIKED his death esp the coins. I liked his little bit at the start w his prayers movement nice Jewish touch.
Chilina was fine as Mary -I esp liked her in the staging of the lashes. She handled "I Don't Know ..." very well at least that day.
Tom Hewitt was really good both in voice and performance- Pilate and Judas come off the the most modern- and to our minds -
most sympathetic, how the world changes in it's views.
Bruce Dow as Herod was also good- its a vaudeville turn- ya hafta play it for laffs- but w all his comedy there was an underlying anger, remember Herod IS the king of the Jews! so that anger w his presumtive useprer was a nice tone, Had his eye been done w a kinda Oedipal blindness makeup? Anyways- a nice touch.
I actually liked the guards uniforms- references the middle east and even the huns- nice change from the usual German SS seen too often.
The diving board- not so much- I just don't see it.
The Temple Money changers seemed a bit trite -sexy gogo girls and boys shaking their money makers(changers) but I liked the large braziers burning.
I am NOT a fan of projections but after the horrors that Des used in G & D that frankly made me nauseous- these were so mild as to to be almost unnoticable from my POV- so pass, friend, pass.
Josh Young was esp good in Jesus Christ Superstar at least in his singing but the comment about his dancing ability is valid. I don't know if he is just not a dancer or needs better choreography but I really expected more from that aspect esp in an 11 oclock number like that
"Could We Start Again Please"- such a pretty song, so well sung and left me annoyed- just didn't fit either in it's tone or placement.
I'd give it a B+ right now- ensemble work is uniformly good, orchastra was great and sorry guys but MY audience cheered and whistled at the end - no probs getting them standing. ( no not me but that's a seperate issue w me)

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#143JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 4:44pm

Thanks Sabrelady, a ray of light and hope for Tuesday.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#144JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 5:06pm

I was wondering how long it would take until someone sang that nonsense song: "Jeez u guys are just totally off! I mean, its the 1st PRE views- let them find their feet!"

Did you know that this production has already had two full runs since July? It's not like they just learned their blocking last week, and saw the theatre for the first time yesterday.

Updated On: 3/8/12 at 05:06 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#145JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 6:29pm

HMM how's this song?

LAME-O! Me say u are LAME-O!
Know NOthing of me and what show I see.

LAME-O! Broadway is NO the same-O

IT IS WHY THEY DO PREVIEWS NOT STRAIGHT TO OPENING!

Simple enuf for ya?

LAME-O!?

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#146JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 6:45pm

You gotta give her credit -- she wrote you a song.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#147JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 8:00pm

New In Town, The Musical.

Book By Mister Matt
Songs by Sabrelady

Hmmmm wonder what the show curtain will be?

Updated On: 3/8/12 at 08:00 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#148JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/8/12 at 8:13pm

Get the live recording of Drew Sarich singing Jesus. It's on Itunes. It's brilliant and messy. It's exactly how the show should sound, to me. It's raw and interesting.

The new 2011 recording with Drew Sarich is pretty great. I highly recommend it. It's a complete recording and Harod is played by a guy this time. The only misstep for me is that the guy playing Judas messes up some lyrics here and there, but as far as I know it's a recording of a single performance and not cobbled together from several nights, plus I'm pretty sure English isn't his first language so the mistakes are understandable.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#149JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/9/12 at 12:32am

Isn't it always played by a guy?

Anyway, it's on Itunes for like $25. I didn't like the guy playing Judas. Just not vocally what I want to listen to, so I didn't get it, but you should also Y-Tube Drew Sarich singing "Judas's Death." They mix modern (guns) with the old (costumes), and I think it's a brilliant ending and really sticks with me.

Videos