pixeltracker

Streisand Gypsy is still on....- Page 6

Streisand Gypsy is still on....

Claudia Draper
#125Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 12/5/15 at 6:51am

With announcement on her official website that BJS is directing a biopic of a young Catherine the great, the GYPSY dream is officially dead. The haters won!!!  no drowsy chaperone either.  I.m confidant that her Acting career ended with, The Guilt Trip??  it's now Barbra: the director 

http://www.barbrastreisand.com/us/news/barbra-streisand-direct-catherine-great

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#126Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 12/5/15 at 7:08am

Pretty sure the haters have nothing to do with it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#127Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:48am

I'm doing a happy dance right now! WOO HOO!

Claudia Draper
#128Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 3:44pm

Wait...What???  i guess they have to sell that OJ movie

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/188852/travolta-on-gaga-streisand-gypsy-and-grease-live

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#129Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 4:20pm

what OJ movie?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Sam2
#130Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 4:52pm

I assume he's referring to American Crime Story, the television series starring Travolta. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#131Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 7:11pm

That's not a movie, though.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwayboy223
#132Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 7:18pm

I hope this means Barbra isn't giving up! I will be the first in line if Gypy happens. I still can't believe so many people didn't support her.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#133Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 8:31pm

The problem is "so many people" know that 73-year-old women don't have 8-year-old children. For that matter, 75-year-old women don't belt Jule Stein scores; not even Merman tried it.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#134Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 8:34pm

If you're so disinterested then don't see it.  I can't wrap my head around any musical theatre fan being against seeing Barbra F*cking Streisand as Mama Rose.  Lighten up. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#135Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 8:40pm

Took the words right out of my mouth, Tag.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#136Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/27/16 at 8:49pm

Tag said: "If you're so disinterested then don't see it.  I can't wrap my head around any musical theatre fan being against seeing Barbra F*cking Streisand as Mama Rose.  Lighten up. 

"

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "It's one thing to keep silent and let others think you're a fool. It's quite another to speak up and remove all doubt."

We've already seen Ms. Streisand doom one classic musical in which she was grossly miscast. But at least back then she could sing the hell out of DOLLY's score, so we got a nice record out of the debacle.

The diva-fanboy worship of certain women is tedious because it kills conversations. Patti LuPone isn't right for Dolly Levi and Streisand is no longer right for Madame Rose. That both women are or were "fabulous" is beside the point. 

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#137Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 12:20pm

Granted, Barbra looks great and I think she can sing the score. After all, I'm assuming most of it will be done in a studio where she'll have multiple takes. It's still a hurdle to get past the first 20/30 minutes of the show with Barbra having young children. It's just a bit much. Maybe people will be able to suspend disbelief for the first bit of the show.

I'm more concerned with Barbra wanting to cast Gaga as Louise. Having watched the last season of American Horror Story, I found Gaga limited and downright stiff at times. She's not the worst actress in the world, but I don't see her pulling off Louise in any way shape or form. She'd probably give us a great strip montage and that's it.

Travolta, strangely enough, I have no issue with. I do think he's a very fine actor. Just watch some of his earlier films like Blow Out. He has an inherent likability that Herbie needs and, let's face it, anyone can sing Herbie.

Throw in a few fun divas to cameo as the strippers in You Gotta Get A Gimmick and it could be kinda fun.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#138Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 12:53pm

No. This project is dead and will NEVER happen.

She is way way too old, and isn't up to the score.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#139Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 1:25pm

lovebwy said: "She is way way too old, and isn't up to the score."

I agree. But I remember a rumor going around that she had already recorded the score years ago in anticipation of someday doing this. Could be just an urban legend. But someone here may remember this being mentioned. Though she's still way too old for the film...beginning, middle or end. The most I'd want to see come of this is the release of that secret recording.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

CindersGolightly
#140Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 1:32pm

She's done the numbers in concerts for a couple of years now. In fact, there's a medley on her "Back to Brooklyn" album. She sounds good. I can suspend my disbelief for something like this. I also think Gaga would be a great choice. AHS wasn't a good thing to take in acting wise, because 95% of the time she was playing a caricature of herself. But there's that one flashback scene in the 20s where she's shy and very very nervous and I think she can make it work. If this ever happens, Annaleigh Ashford as Dainty June please.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#141Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 1:41pm

FWIW, I've also heard that she's recorded the entire score already.

I still doubt this will actually happen, but I'm sure someday they will release those tracks.

....but the world goes 'round

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#142Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 1:53pm

Many, many years ago, maybe circa 1989, Elliott Gould was on Howard Stern. Howard asked him about Barbra and Gould said "There's one thing I'd love to see her do. The musical Gypsy. They could put it live on pay-per-view and make a fortune. Can you imagine her singing Rose's Turn. I keep telling her to do it".

Maybe it was a good idea. In 1989. But it's 28 years later. It is no longer a good idea.

CindersGolightly
#143Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 2:01pm

I disagree! But I'm glad we can have discussions like this on here.

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#144Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 2:40pm

Tag said: "I can't wrap my head around any musical theatre fan being against seeing Barbra F*cking Streisand as Mama Rose."

Why would that be so hard to "wrap your head around". In my humble opinion I think she is way past her due date to take on the role of "Mama Rose". 

And yes, you can definitely count on me not seeing it. I have no interest in seeing Streisand in this. 

And as hard as it may be to imagine some people really just don't care for Streisand and she is not "the be all to end all."

But you are most definitely entitled to your opinion and wanting to see her in this. 

If this ever does see the light of day I hope she's everything you have ever hoped for her to be in the role.

We shall see if this ever sees the light of day.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

broadwayboy223
#145Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 2:47pm

Tag said: "If you're so disinterested then don't see it.  I can't wrap my head around any musical theatre fan being against seeing Barbra F*cking Streisand as Mama Rose.  Lighten up. 

"

Preach!!

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#146Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 2:49pm

I'm a major fan of Streisand's and even I think that she is past her due date on this one.  She can't handle the score and assuming that it's already been recorded, she would look pretty silly on screen as the mother of two young children.  I do think it doubtful that this will come to pass.  She is slated to start directing Catherine The Great and if history tells us anything, her movies take 2-3 years to make, promote and release.  There is no way she will secure funding for Gypsy now, let alone 2-3 years from now. Wish she had taken the TV version when offered in the 80's.  Her screen history, save for Funny Girl, The Way We Were and Yentl, is disappointing to say the least.  She wasted a ton of time and talent on the likes of For Pete's Sake, The Main Event, Funny Lady, All Night Long, etc.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#147Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 3:08pm

I enjoy What's Up Doc?

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#148Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 3:10pm

I liked For Pete's Sake.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Claudia Draper
#149Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/28/16 at 3:30pm

the rumor/urban legend is that while recording THE BROADWAY ALBUM in 1984 she recorded all the major songs from GYPSY with Sondheim. believable. or not. 35 year old recordings.. why not

Videos