pixeltracker

2023-2024 Touring Season- Page 6

2023-2024 Touring Season

Timon3
#1252023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/23/23 at 9:19pm

So I wonder if the Six sit down will be one of the two US Tours or will it be a new production? Six is a great fun show, but there is no getting away from it and that is it is cheap to stage and run. A producers dream!

forfivemoreminutes
#1262023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/23/23 at 9:26pm

Exciting about the Six sit-down! Will it be a Canadian cast? And do you know the dates it will be running?

Updated On: 2/23/23 at 09:26 PM

tourboi
#1272023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/23/23 at 11:05pm

The RA?!  I'd think it would be better suited at the CAA for a longer run.

Tag said: "ACL2006 said: "forfivemoreminutes said: "Mirvish season in Toronto will be announced (at least to subscribers) on Tuesday March 7. Any guesses for what might be coming? Hoping for Frozen, Six, and Moulin Rouge!"

Where is the COME FROM AWAY return engagement going?
"

There will be a Six sit-down at the RA in the fall. CFA is supposed to return in Sept 2024.
"

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1282023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/24/23 at 1:57pm

The RA?! I'd think it would be better suited at the CAA for a longer run.

Oh totally, the vibe of that space would work well for Six.
The CAAs days are numbered though...

Updated On: 2/24/23 at 01:57 PM

tourboi
#1292023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/24/23 at 10:15pm

Numbered? How do you mean? I like that space.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1302023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:00am

tourboi said: "Numbered? How do you mean? I like that space."

Condo development. Sigh.

forfivemoreminutes
#1312023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:29am

Tag said: "tourboi said: "Numbered? How do you mean? I like that space."

Condo development. Sigh.
"

Are they moving the theatre somewhere else or are we just going to have one fewer theatre in Toronto?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#1322023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:43am

Boston will be announcing this Wednesday, March 1st. 

Email came in more black and gold/yellow… maybe The Wiz? Don’t want to get my hopes up. We are overdue for Frozen as well. 

Timon3
#1332023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/25/23 at 6:14pm

Tag said: "tourboi said: "Numbered? How do you mean? I like that space."

Condo development. Sigh.
"

Terrible, especially as the theatre has recently been rebuilt.

Wasn't the Princess of Wales Theatre once earmarked for condos?

What happened to the other production company theatres, think the name was Danzag maybe?

tourboi
#1342023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/26/23 at 12:26am

You mean Dancap? Dancap never owned theaters, they rented the North York Centre (the old Ford Centre), which is no longer usable for Broadway shows since the larger space was unfortunately sub-divided, and the Four Seasons (problem being he could only use it in summer months), and originally he put some things into the Elgin. Dancap tried to buy the Pantages (Now the Mirvish), but it was blocked by Mirvish Productions outbidding him I believe (it's been years so the details evade my memory). Without owning a theatre, it was just too difficult, though I believe they still invest in shows. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1352023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/26/23 at 12:46am

tourboi said: "You mean Dancap? Dancap never owned theaters, they rented the North York Centre (the old Ford Centre), which is no longer usable for Broadway shows since the larger space was unfortunately sub-divided, and the Four Seasons (problem being he could only use it in summer months), and originally he put some things into the Elgin. Dancap tried to buy the Pantages (Now the Mirvish), but it was blocked by Mirvish Productions outbidding him I believe (it's been years so the details evade my memory). Without owning a theatre, it was just too difficult, though I believe they still invest in shows."

What a shame the Ford Centre was divided. It was a gorgeous space  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Timon3
#1362023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/26/23 at 10:30am

Bettyboy72 said: "tourboi said: "You mean Dancap? Dancap never owned theaters, they rented the North York Centre (the old Ford Centre), which is no longer usable for Broadway shows since the larger space was unfortunately sub-divided, and the Four Seasons (problem being he could only use it in summer months), and originally he put some things into the Elgin. Dancap tried to buy the Pantages (Now the Mirvish), but it was blocked by Mirvish Productions outbidding him I believe (it's been years so the details evade my memory). Without owning a theatre, it was just too difficult, though I believe they still invest in shows."

"

I have just had a read up on the Ford Centre and yes, it was a shame, however the location was lousy, it was like having a Broadway house in the Bronx. Toronto is a difficult one for theatre, I always thought of the Toronto very similar theatre wise to Chicago and San Francisco that they get touring shows and the occasional sit down production.

9/11 did a lot of damage to Toronto theatre, as Americans didn’t need a passport and the exchange rate was good, so a Toronto weekend was inexpensive.

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 10:30 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1372023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:22pm

Yes the theatre where Ragtime started which used to look like this:

2023-2024 Touring Season

Now looks like this:

2023-2024 Touring Season

MelissaF
#1382023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/26/23 at 11:51pm

I loved when Dancap was around. More shows! While I always look forward to the annual Mirvish announcement it was great having another player in the game!

can’t wait to see what’s in store for this upcoming season, besides Six (which is so much fun!!)

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#1392023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/27/23 at 1:27am

Tag said: "Yes the theatre where Ragtime started which used to look like this:

2023-2024 Touring Season

Now looks like thi2023-2024 Touring Season
"I'm sorry...WHAT?! They changed a beautiful theatre into an auditorium that looks like it belongs in a Disney Park, presenting "TRON: The Musical"?!  My apologies for being an ill-formed American in respect to the Toronto theatre scene but...$@&# ! That's quite a shame.

William12
#1402023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/27/23 at 1:51am

Tag said: "Yes the theatre where Ragtime started which used to look like this:

2023-2024 Touring Season

Now looks like this:

2023-2024 Touring Season
"

Whoa. I've never been to that theatre but that transformation is horrible! I can't fathom how anyone thinks that is an improvement.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#1412023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/27/23 at 8:57am

I believe they took the stage from the original theatre, and made it a smaller black box, and then took the front orchestra, and made a new stage.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

PriscillaN2N
#1422023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/27/23 at 2:16pm

MelissaF said: "I loved when Dancap was around. More shows! While I always look forward to the annual Mirvish announcement it was great having another player in the game!

can’t wait to see what’s in store for this upcoming season, besides Six (which is so much fun!!)
"

Me too! It was so nice to have someone to keep Mirvish on their toes. Dancap brought some great tours to Toronto: Next to Normal, Avenue Q, Spelling Bee and 9 to 5 come to mind. 

I hope Mirvish delivers with this season. I was too underwhelmed to renew last year. 

Timon3
#1432023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:42pm

Why do you think that the Ford Centre failed as a big theatre?

fashionguru_23
#1442023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:04am

Timon3 said: "Why do you think that the Ford Centre failed as a big theatre?"

I think the same reason we don't have tours at Meridan Hall/O'Keefe Centre like we used to.(Even though I tell them to when I've donated money in the past). The Ford Centre/Toronto Centre for the Arts is run by TO Live/City of Toronto. The Elgin/Winter Garden by the Province of Ontario. They do not overly seek out shows. They wait for productions to reach out to them for the most part. If no one is looking, you're going to find nothing. 

Part of Dancap's problem was that he didn't own the theatres he was using, so part of the weekly costs is paying rent to the city, province, etc. When you own your theatre, it makes it easier. 

Also, Garth Drabinsky was the propelling force for the Ford Centre. Other than Phantom, his shows only used that theatre. When he went out of business, there was a lack of shows. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1452023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:24pm

Guys, either The Star reporter is monitoring this thread, or I totally manifested this:
This century-old Mirvish theatre is slated for demolition and Toronto’s arts community says loss is significant

Johnny Truant
#1462023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 8:02pm

Is it possible for the mods to merge the two threads for the '23-'24 tours?

Update for Seattle

In addition to Broadway at the Paramount, 5th Avenue just announced they will be getting:

1776 - August 2-6, 2023
Clue - July 9-21, 2024

No premieres/tryouts other than a co/associated production of Cambodian Rock Band with ACT, Alley Theatre, Berkeley Rep and Center Theatre Group

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1472023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 8:52pm

Timon3 said: "Bettyboy72 said: "tourboi said: "You mean Dancap? Dancap never owned theaters, they rented the North York Centre (the old Ford Centre), which is no longer usable for Broadway shows since the larger space was unfortunately sub-divided, and the Four Seasons (problem being he could only use it in summer months), and originally he put some things into the Elgin. Dancap tried to buy the Pantages (Now the Mirvish), but it was blocked by Mirvish Productions outbidding him I believe (it's been years so the details evade my memory). Without owning a theatre, it was just too difficult, though I believe they still invest in shows."

"

I have just had a read up on the Ford Centre and yes, it was a shame, however the location was lousy, it was like having a Broadway house in the Bronx. Toronto is a difficult one for theatre, I always thought of the Toronto very similar theatre wise to Chicago and San Francisco that they get touring shows and the occasional sit down production.

9/11 did a lot of damage to Toronto theatre, as Americans didn’t need a passport and the exchange rate was good, so a Toronto weekend was inexpensive.
"

I think Chicago actually does quite well. What I love about it is we get a lot of out-of-town tryouts (Like the recent Devil Wears Prada), but we also have the Steppenwolf (which just sent The Minutes to Broadway) as well as the Goodman which produces a lot of new shows and brings in some NYC plays. Just this fall we'll have the Louie Armstrong musical and the Betty Boop musical too. None of the actual touring shows really appeal to me, but seeing new musicals is pretty exciting. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1482023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 8:55pm

Also, which Toronto theater has the hanging gardens on the inside or is the. Elgin and the Winter Garden the same theater? Looks so gorgeous and unique. 

fashionguru_23
#1492023-2024 Touring Season
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:45pm

RippedMan said: "Also, which Toronto theater has the hanging gardens on the inside or is the. Elgin and the Winter Garden the same theater? Looks so gorgeous and unique."

The Winter Garden is the environmental theatre with leaves, and lanterns hanging from the ceilings. Fun fact, up until a few years ago, all the leaves were real leaves. 

Videos