pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 6

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#125re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:18am

Michael Bennett brought up a really interesting point (and I know it's tangential to the topic in this thread) that I always forget: the producers of Grey Gardens could possibly be actively expecting not to recoup their initial investment during the Broadway run.
Many shows have extended agreements with the producers of the Broadway mounting to continue to make money up to and beyond their initial investment in the Broadway mounting, meaning they receive a chunk of the royalties when your local community theatre does the show.
Sweeney Todd's original production eventually recouped its costs this way and I am sure there are a ton of others.
So, while the talk of "will it or won't it?" with Grey Gardens is just hypothetical, the producers aren't necessarily dumb to be throwing money down the Broadway well given that we do know Grey Gardens is a cult favorite and getting to plaster "Tony Winner" or "Smash Broadway Musical" across your promo materials is going to sell it to the one or two artistic directors out there in the US who aren't already fans of the documentary.

And AshleyBrownFan is obviously a tool.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#126re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:36am

"AshleyBrownFan,
I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry, but I'm gonna have to say this.
What the hell is wrong with you? Ms. Ebersole gives what will be the standout performance of the year. You can't be so bias against what will be a moderately successful show because its star will give (has given) a better performance than your namesake!
And thank God for Roundabout and those revivals! It's good to preserve shows that are not as well known and let them have one more spin."

It's okay jv92, just being honest. I don't like Christine Ebersole. She was good in 42nd Street. But she sucked in Grey Gardens. Also, why did The Apple Tree and Curtains have to open this eason?

Also, for all Tony voters: Vote For Ashley Brown!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm just excited by all the new recordings all I have by season's end. Here's hoping they record Les Miz!"

One can wish, Rent Boy.... So can I....

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#127re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:50am

>why did The Apple Tree and Curtains have to open this eason? <

Why not?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

FoscasBohemianDream
#128re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:54am

Eh....like becoz they dont star the like super duper like amasin' Ashley Brown, HELLO!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#129re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:16am

I realize it's your opinion, but on what planet does ebersole 'suck' in gg?

bravo to anyone who stands by their opinion in the face of some of the best reviews and awards in theatre history, but I think your comments about ebersole are much less about any opinion you have about her performance and are actually about your deep desire for your fave performer to win.

and I find that absolutely childish, tacky, deplorable, and nasty. I hope you come to realize this and rethink how you engage in further discussions of this topic. instead of trashing others, praise your fave. tell us why she should win. don't resort to nastiness.

FoscasBohemianDream
#130re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:28am

What's interesting is that many theater audiences have actually seen Chenoweth, Ebersole, D'Amboisse, and Monk in their respective roles. We all have our different opinions on the quality of their work as performers in each show and we can argue why they should/shouldn't win. But virtually no one (except for people who are allowed to attend rehearsals) has seen Ashley Brown in Mary Poppins. She is indeed a talented young actress (I've only seen her in On The Record and I admit she was the only thing that kept me from leaving at intermission), but you can't say she will win or that she deserves to win if you haven't even seen her yet.
She's just getting started and she's got quite a voice, I'm sure she has many shows to get nominated for. I think this season it is someone else's turn to grab the award. And please can you not use simplistic statements like "she sucks" to describe the performance that have garnered some of the best reviews in musical theater since Ethel Merman's opening night in Gypsy?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#131re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:55am

I think its fairly unlikely Ashley Brown will even be nominated.

RentBoy86
#132re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:58am

I don't. It's a magical show with lots of "ooh" and "awws" - I think might overshadow some of the other performances. Although, the show is a hit, so they might just shut it out like they did Tarzan. Though I would imagine the sets would be nominated.

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#133re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 4:08pm

Regarding the possible ACL acting noms:

Obviously, I haven't seen her yet, but doesn't Mara Davi seem to be a favorite? She sounds fabulous.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#134re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 4:20pm

And to whomever said it, we are not saying that GREY GARDENS isn't good enough to enjoy a healthy run. It's not about quality - it never is anymore. We are just speculating as to whether or not it will be able to find an audience. That's all.

I hope it does.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Michael Bennett
#135re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:26pm

Mara Davi does not have enough of a part ot warrant a Tony nomination. She sings her solo nicely, but its a tiny role.

Really, I just don't expect anybody from ACL but D'Amboise to be in the running. You have to remember that the performer wins ACL won the first time were part of a general sweep for the entire show. It was a galvanizing experience in 1975, and its just not going to have anything, anywhere near that impact as a revival, which might actually get fairly negative reviews.
Updated On: 9/15/06 at 06:26 PM

#136re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:32pm

. Updated On: 9/15/06 at 06:32 PM

#137re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:32pm

Who care who else is nominated? Ebersole has already been declared the winner before her show has opened, or any other woman's show has opened. This is reminiscent of two years ago when Clark had the Tony sewn up before she opened in NY too. This isn't to say Clark didn't deserve the win; she most certainly did. Ebersole? It's too early to tell because no one has opened yet, but her win is sewn up already. As a huge musical theater fan, I look foward to all these shows this season, including Ebersole's. As someone who enjoys predicting award winners throughout the year, what a disappointment. The Best Actress in a Musical winner for 2007 has already been declared. Wake me up when the 2007 Tonys end.
Updated On: 9/15/06 at 06:32 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#138re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:38pm

Mary Poppins certainly won't be left out of the running. It isn't Tarzan. It has an excellent score and a well crafted book. The choreography was excellent (and won the Olivier Award)If Disney ****s it up, it might just be shunned. However, the show I saw in London was Tony-worthy.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#139re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:00pm

"Who care who else is nominated? Ebersole has already been declared the winner before her show has opened, or any other woman's show has opened. This is reminiscent of two years ago when Clark had the Tony sewn up before she opened in NY too. This isn't to say Clark didn't deserve the win; she most certainly did. Ebersole? It's too early to tell because no one has opened yet, but her win is sewn up already. As a huge musical theater fan, I look foward to all these shows this season, including Ebersole's. As someone who enjoys predicting award winners throughout the year, what a disappointment. The Best Actress in a Musical winner for 2007 has already been declared. Wake me up when the 2007 Tonys end."

I am sorry, Ebersole was just not that great and I am having a bad day. sorry.

But saying that Ebersole's award is already engraved is kinda rude. Give other people a chance. Yeah, Tony voters, I'm talking about audra.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

#140re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:14pm

It's not rude, it's reality. 9 months before the Tonys and everyone and their dog is treating the Best Actress in a Musical as a coronation for Ebersole. I'd love for someone to legitimately challenge her for the award but who?
Updated On: 9/15/06 at 08:14 PM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#141re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:35pm

I didn't mean like always in a sense that she has been a contenor before. Bad choice of words. I guess its an expression I use. Sorry. But I just adore Kristen, and I know she deserves a TONY.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#142re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:45pm

KuhnKrazy, I have no doubt that Audra and Kristin will rightfully challenge Ms. Ebersole (who I thought was BRILLIANT in GREY GARDENS regardless).

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

#143re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:53pm

WannaBeAFoster,
To quote my favorite musical,

"I hope you do, my friend."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#144re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:15pm

I don't think it's fair to liken this year's race with Clark. Sure, she had spectacular buzz around her, but she wasn't really called "the winner" until we saw what other garbage was opening that year.

There's a difference between that season and this season. Clark had virtually no competition. When your biggest threat is Christina Applegate, something's wrong. Of course, Ebersole's buzz is more palpable as her show just finished playing in NYC, and NYC has been buzzing about it. Clark performance was extended word of mouth from people who saw her in another city. That's not to say that wasn't valid buzz, though.

This year, Ebersole will have competition that rivals the Pinkins/Menzel/Chenoweth/Murphy year. It will be intense, and I have a feeling we all might be surprised.

Ebersole's winning the Tony will depend a lot on how long the show lasts. Chenoweth and MacDonald are absolute favorites. We shall see.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

bwayondabrain
#145re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:30pm

That was very well said, munk

But also, we have to keep Stephanie J Block in mind, because if she delivers one heck of a performance, and PIRATE QUEEN is well recieved, she could have a strong chance of a Tony win

#146re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:56pm

"I don't think it's fair to liken this year's race with Clark. Sure, she had spectacular buzz around her, but she wasn't really called "the winner" until we saw what other garbage was opening that year."

I disagree strongly. Maybe not on this board, but on the other board, I definitely remember people calling the Best Actess in a Musical race over before it even began and that was extremely early in the season. That year Clark and Ramirez were already called unbeatable before they even hit NY. I'm seeing similar talk with Ebersole.
Updated On: 9/15/06 at 09:56 PM

Michael Bennett
#147re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:01am

I don't remember that kind of buzz about Clark, sorry. She had great buzz, but nobody was calling her a lock to win the Tony Award a year before the Tonys.

gavrochegirl
#148re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:09am

Yeah, Tony voters, I'm talking about audra.

LOL, so I guess you've given up on Ashley, eh?

What the puck?!

AberJ01 Profile Photo
AberJ01
#149re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:32am

All that can be said about the category for this year is, what a strange year it's going to be.

First off, most of the lead contenders have already played the roles they are probably going to be nominated for. We've already seen Ebersole in Grey Gardens, we've already seen Chenoweth in The Apple Tree, and Michele in Spring Awakening. I mean sure, it was off-broadway, and there will be changes to the shows for their Broadway transfers more than likely, but I do find it a tad boring. Not to mention that because a bunch of these ladies have already performed the roles, suddenly we're making conclusions that someone was like Ebersole will win because she was just oh so brillant in Grey Gardens. Seriously, take Stephanie Block for instance. None of us have seen her perform in the Pirate Queen yet. How can we say that her performance isn't as good as Ebersole's? No matter how good her performance in Grey Gardens is, how can we SERIOUSLY say it's not as good as someone who hasn't performed the role yet? REALLY!?

With that said, I do agree with what some people are saying, and say I do think Grey Gardens will be a tougher sell this year than alot of the other shows opening up on Broadway this season. Shows like Legally Blonde, Mary Poppins, Pirate Queen, and probably even A Chorus Line in a way, will attract an audition outside of the diehard theater community. Who is going to know what Grey Gardens is unless they follow theater? No one. With that said, will Grey Gardens close before Tony time? Previews are supposed to start in almost 2 weeks, with opening night November 2nd. Tony night is in June, will it last until June? I'd give it 50/50 odds. Obviously we'll know more once we see how it sells right away. However, if the show closes early, will it hurt Ebersoles chance of a WIN? Yes. Nomination, probably not so much.

My biggest complaint though I think is the fact that this year we are trying to "make the rich richer". Seriously, no matter how brillant she is, how many Tonys do we REALLY need to give to Audra?? Seriously, I know people are going to want to stone me for that comment, but honestly, how many does the woman need? Take 2003 for example. Bernadette Peters (most likely my favorite of all time) was AMAZING in Gypsy, beyond words AMAZING. However, I LOVED Marissa in Hairspray. What a breakthrough performance, which close to equaled Bernadette in my book. Seriously though, it was a strong performance, in the most successful show that season, it was hers. If I was a Tony Voter, I think I honestly would have voted the same way. It was a breakout role that announced her presence as a Broadway star, and while as I said Bernadette, in my opinion, was magic in Gypsy, did it really hurt her to not win her third Tony? No. Same with Audra or Ebersole. It's not like they are really going to get less or more work by winning or not winning a Tony this year. Maybe that's a bad way to look at it, but why not root for the woman who's on her first nomination, if she's just as good as the one who's won twice, or four times for that matter. At some point it gets boring, no matter how big of fan you are of that person.

Anyway, like it's been said, it's just WAY too early to debate this topic. Sure we can debate how good Ebersole was in Grey Gardens, and how much we think Chenoweth would be a challenge for Ebersole, but frankly we can't say how good the ladies who we haven't seen are. Gut tells me that Stephanie Block is going to amaze in Pirate Queen, and is going to be a serious threat to win. Most in this board seem to think she is barely holding on to a nomination at this point, and doesn't have a chance to actually win. What we all do have in common though is that none of us have actually seen her perform the role yet, so how do we know if she is actually better than anyone else? So what prediction will I make? I'll say this, come June, I think we'll all be quite surprised. That's all...

Videos