pixeltracker

Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd- Page 7

Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#150Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 10:58am

"Will it be one act?"

The show didn't have an intermission at The Public.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#151Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 12:14pm

I'd be very surprised if the adults in the show, aside from Socha, did not return.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#152Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 12:34pm

Kad-me too-I was just reporting what I'd read.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#153Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 1:21pm

The only casting notices that have been posted are for a new middle Alison and one of the boys.
(And I bet the Tony song is "Ring of Keys.")

Updated On: 11/5/14 at 01:21 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#154Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 1:24pm

If this happens, I won't be able to afford going several times:

Asked if there was a role he would consider being a replacement for, Jackman revealed he would take on the part of a closeted gay father who commits suicide in the new musical 'Fun Home,' opening on Broadway in 2015. Explains the actor, "It's an astonishing part."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#155Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 1:27pm

Hugh Jackman? In that role? He's not right in the least, actually. He's physically so wrong.

Who's Middle Beth? (You mean Alison, right?)

Please, don't use Ring of Keys-that's the ONLY song they EVER USE. I think showing the family as a unit would be a smarter move.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#156Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 1:30pm

Yeah, they were only casting for Medium Alison and one of the boys. Everyone else seems to be on board, and Cerveris is most definitely on board.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#157Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/5/14 at 2:46pm

Yep. Alison. I'm a dope. (fixed) (the name, not the dopeyness, which is inescapable, I fear.)

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#158Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:57am

Is Sydney a lock for the roll? Too bad she couldn't have stayed 10 a little while longer.

Stephanatic

FindingNamo
#159Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:59am

"He's not right in the least, actually."

He wasn't right for Wolverine. He wasn't right for Peter Allen. And yet, and yet.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

mike_ant
#160Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 12:06pm

If the producers are smart, they should just bank on HJ's interest and watch the show sold-out even before it opens. If he can sell an obscure little play, he would definitely have no problems selling a great musical.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#161Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 12:15pm

He has a film he's doing in the spring/summer of 2015. Also, he's not within their tight budget.

mike-there is also a chemistry between this cast (many of whom are remaining, if the casting notices are to be believed). It would turn into 'the Hugh Jackman Show' rather than "Fun Home" which is truly an ensemble piece. Updated On: 11/6/14 at 12:15 PM

South Florida
#162Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 12:21pm

Glad about no Hugh Jackman.

Stephanatic

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#163Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 12:43pm

Why is this being discussed? Jackman saying it's a role he'd like to play does not mean at all he is being, or has been, considered for it. He isn't and hasn't.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#164Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 1:43pm

The good news about the Jackman rumors is that we have confirmation of Cerveris, which they did specifically to debunk rumors on BWW:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Micheal-Cerveris-Will-Reprise-His-Role-in-Broadway-Bound-FUN-HOME-20141106

neonlightsxo
#165Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 1:44pm

"Why is this being discussed? Jackman saying it's a role he'd like to play does not mean at all he is being, or has been, considered for it. He isn't and hasn't. "

Just seconding this.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#166Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 1:54pm

Err, I will third it? How many do we need for the motion to pass?

If BWW restricts discussion to things that are only actually going to happen, it would certainly cut down on the number of threads/updates.

Sutton Ross
#167Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:15pm

"Why is this being discussed?"

What a strange thing for you to say considering when I have asked that in the past on other threads, you defend evolving threads vigorously.

I'm glad Michael confirmed this, Hugh Jackman would ruin the entire thing. Although, I asked Michael nearly a month ago on Twitter if he was continuing with it on Broadway and he said yes, so I don't think his casting was a secret.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#168Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:20pm

I really don't think Hugh Jackman would ruin the entire thing....he might not have been as 'good' as Michael Cerveris (I don't know), but I really don't think the show relies on that performance to be successful. Hugh Jackman in the role would have exposed a wider audience to this musical and could potentially have really challenged/influenced the audience's attitudes, which I would argue would have been a better outcome than what will happen now. (i.e., I suspect the show will be 'preaching to the choir').

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sutton Ross
#169Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:28pm

It would have turned into the Hugh Jackman show, which would have been terrible. Michael Cerveris is a far superior actor, and I think his performance and character are crucial to every aspect of Fun Home.

Owen22
#170Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:40pm

Cerveris will again play the father, as he should; it's the performance of a lifetime. But in the announcement they stated they would love to have Hugh play the role someday. As I doubt he would ever go in as a replacement (would the producers have recast Michael had they known about Hugh? Obviously the contracts were already signed for his reprisal of the role awhile ago) I wonder if this clears the way for Hugh to return to the city that made him a star in Oklahoma (possibly at the National), thus clearing the way for the West End to see a work that would probably have been relegated to the Menier or Southwark, if at all.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#171Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:43pm

"What a strange thing for you to say considering when I have asked that in the past on other threads, you defend evolving threads vigorously."

It's being discussed as if it were ever on the table. It wasn't. It was an idle remark from Jackman.

Updated On: 11/6/14 at 03:43 PM

Sutton Ross
#172Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:46pm

"Cerveris will again play the father, as he should; it's the performance of a lifetime."

1000% agreed

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#173Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:47pm

"As I doubt he would ever go in as a replacement..."

Err, the whole question that prompted this was whether he would ever consider being a replacement in a role, and Fun Home was his answer. So, that is the exact situation in which he answered the question.

South Florida
#174Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:48pm

Is Sydney in?

Stephanatic

Videos