pixeltracker

2016 - 2017 Touring Season- Page 7

2016 - 2017 Touring Season

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#1502016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 1/26/16 at 6:32pm

Durham (DPAC) announces its season on February 20. I'm hoping that list of Finding Neverland dates is incorrect, because I'll be really surprised if it isn't coming to Durham next season. DPAC has been getting most of the big shows in their first years lately.

lil_parde
#1512016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 1/27/16 at 12:29am

What does this mean for the current Phantom US Tour? That it will stop in mid-late October as the website states?

tourboi
#1522016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 1/28/16 at 9:16pm

lil_parde said: "What does this mean for the current Phantom US Tour? That it will stop in mid-late October as the website states?

"

Nope. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1532016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 1/28/16 at 10:05pm

Aren't they planning to close the poto tour to make way for the love never dies tour?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#154Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/28/16 at 10:40pm

I'd be surprised if "Fun Home" didn't play San Francisco. An obvious choice, given its gay content and general tone. (...and general excellence, of course).

I'm wondering where it will play (assuming it does).
- on one hand, Carole Shorenstein Hayes is a producer and her Curran Theatre renovation is due to be concluded in January 2017. Even allowing for the inevitable delays, it should be available in the spring-summer.
- However, it's entirely possible that part of her agreement to separate from SHN contained some sort of non-compete clause that could prevent her from directly competing for certain types of shows (the big national tours)

I have no idea if such non-compete clauses are common, or even possible. Likewise, I don't know what power a secondary producer (I'm probably using the wrong term for her actual role here) might have in selecting presenters and bookings. I'm pretty certain that the answer to both is the mantra of a regular poster here, "There are no rules. It depends."  Especially in this case.

It'll be interesting to see what is announced in the next month or so. 

...and on a unrelated topic, last night I caught the second set of Taylor Mac's exploration of the decades of American popular music (1806-1836) at the Curran's "Under Construction" series. In this series, the audience seated on the stage, facing the house. An amazing, amazing evening in a unique setting. (Last week in the first set of decades (1776-1806) at one point, Taylor Mac gave a lap dance to Nancy Pelosi's husband, Paul.)

Updated On: 1/28/16 at 10:40 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#155Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/28/16 at 10:44pm

If/when Fun Home ends up in SF I will do my damndest to go see it (and visit my family, of course). I'd love for it to be at the Geary, but who knows? The Urinetown and Sweeney (revival) tours were there, but that was long ago.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#156Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/28/16 at 10:49pm

LizzieCurry said: "If/when Fun Home ends up in SF I will do my damndest to go see it (and visit my family, of course). I'd love for it to be at the Geary, but who knows? The Urinetown and Sweeney (revival) tours were there, but that was long ago"

Interesting. I forgot about that. That would be great. I seem to recall, however, that they both were somewhat limited tours and may have involved ACT in some fashion. I think Fun Home is being run by one of the big companies. 

In any event, that would be the best house of them all, I agree!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#157Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/29/16 at 12:24am

MarkBearSF said: "...Likewise, I don't know what power a secondary producer (I'm probably using the wrong term for her actual role here) might have in selecting presenters and bookings. I'm pretty certain that the answer to both is the mantra of a regular poster here, "There are no rules. It depends."  Especially in this case...."

I was just thinking about CSH's likely interest as a producer. Although I'm sure that she would certainly prefer to make a profit on her investment in any production, I think her major intent is making sure certain shows are seen - and specifically seen in her theater(s) in her home, San Francisco. So, I'd assume that whatever the specifics of her involvement as a producer, that involvement in booking decisions for subsequent productions would be part of her agreements. 

Of course, there are, no doubt, other factors involved - and ultimately the few who know have no reason to make public statements. In any event, it gives me something to anticipate in the coming weeks.

Updated On: 1/29/16 at 12:24 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#158Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/29/16 at 12:29pm

Oh, wow (re: Rent tour): https://twitter.com/ActorsEquity/status/693111510411796480

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#159Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/29/16 at 12:53pm

Interesting. I wonder what kind of deal they may be working on to arrange that. Will they add an even lower tier status?

wicked4l
#160Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/29/16 at 1:01pm

Audition appointments are already out for the Rent tour. I wonder if anything will change...

ChiTheaterFan
#161Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/29/16 at 1:49pm

I have a couple questions regarding equity versus non-equity if someone would be kind enough to answer. I'm not an actor but I just enjoy reading these comments and am curious. 

So I saw some discussion in this thread about how non-equity tours can be good because they give younger actors an opportunity they might not otherwise had. This made me curious as to how you actually become an equity member so I did some googling. I see that you can be signed by a producer or apply, and it looks like to apply (unless you belong to a sister organization), you have to earn credits by working in equity theaters. So my understanding based on prior threads that it's pretty tough to get an audition for an equity show as a non-equity actor. (I assume the reason a producer signs you is that you are cast in a show, so it seems either that or getting "credits" would be difficult if you can't get an audition without being an equity member.) So my question is how as a practical matter do actors become members of equity?  And then are equity members prohibited from participating in non-equity tours?

Not trying to get into whether unions are good or bad--just curious as to how this works for non-Union actors and what it really means to be a member. I know it's a very tough business to break into and it makes me curious how people actually do it!!!

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#162Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/30/16 at 2:55pm

When will the new Newsies tour dates be released? 

tourboi
#163Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/30/16 at 10:30pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Aren't they planning to close the poto tour to make way for the love never dies tour?

"

Not at all. 

Call_me_jorge
#164Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 1/30/16 at 11:56pm

NewsiesForever said: "When will the new Newsies tour dates be released? "

Hey, I know your a newsies fan, but someday there won't be s tour of newsies. It could be this year or in a million years. No one truly knows. So no one truly knows if newsies will be continuing.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/31/16 at 11:56 PM

Jakeevan942
#165Fun Home - Curran Theater? (SF)
Posted: 2/1/16 at 9:43pm

Proctors in Schenectady announced its season tonight.

American in Paris-October 14-21, 2016-Tour Tech/Opening-No surprise considering Proctors had money in the show on its own, and as part of 2 Touring Theater groups, in the Broadway production

Dirty Dancing-November 8-13, 2016-How is this still touring?

Curious Incident-November 23-27, 2016-Filling the non-musical slot created when Proctors expanded its season to 6 shows a few years ago

Something Rotten-January 10-15, 2017-Tour Tech/Previews

Sound of Music-April 4-9, 2017

Cabaret(as I mentioned last week)-May 9-14, 2017

Season Options:

Beautiful-April 12-16, 2017: This is actually part of the season at Capital Rep, managed by Proctors, which announced its season alongside Proctors tonight. All Proctors subscription include choice of one show at CapRep.

Wicked-March 1-12 2017-3rd engagement in Schenectady, It seems like they are going down to almost all 2 week engagement for next season-Remeber when the shortest they would play any where was a month?

asmith0307
#1662016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/1/16 at 11:04pm

Question for the Chicagoans - when does BIC usually announce their full season? I can't remember from last year.

Call_me_jorge
#1672016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/2/16 at 6:36am

asmith0307 said: "Question for the Chicagoans - when does BIC usually announce their full season? I can't remember from last year."

I'm not sure, but they've already announced a good chunk of next years list. They already have fun home, finding neverland and Hamilton. I don't think we'll get as much stuff from previous years, because of Hamilton will be taking up one of the theatres and also because it's Hamilton. Everyone will be wanting to go see it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1682016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/2/16 at 8:02am

Broadway in Orlando (at the Dr. Philips Performing Arts Center) announces on February 29. The only confirmed show (which I assume, based on the way they've marketed it thus far, will be an extra, and not part of the subscription) is Wicked in January 2017. 

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#1692016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/5/16 at 9:10am

West Palm Beach (Kravis Center):

Curious Incident......Nov. 15-20, 2016

American In Paris    Dec. 6-11, 2016

Dirty Dancing           Jan. 3-8, 2017

Beautiful                   Jan. 31-Feb. 5, 2017

Phantom/Opera       March 23-April 1, 2017

Kinky Boots              April 18-23, 2017

Sound/Music            May 9-14, 2017

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#1702016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/5/16 at 11:04pm

Call_me_jorge said: "NewsiesForever said: "When will the new Newsies tour dates be released? "

Hey, I know your a newsies fan, but someday there won't be s tour of newsies. It could be this year or in a million years. No one truly knows. So no one truly knows if newsies will be continuing."

Now I am really nervous

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#1712016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/7/16 at 11:31am

Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Broward Center)

Cinderella       December 13-25, 2016

Cabaret           January 10-22, 2017

Little Mermaid  February 22-March 5, 2017

Something Rotten  March 21-April 2, 2017

Matilda             April 25-May 7, 2017

Finding Neverland June 13-25, 2017

ChiTheaterFan
#1722016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/7/16 at 2:02pm

Call_me_jorge said: "asmith0307 said: "Question for the Chicagoans - when does BIC usually announce their full season? I can't remember from last year."

I'm not sure, but they've already announced a good chunk of next years list. They already have fun home, finding neverland and Hamilton. I don't think we'll get as much stuff from previous years, because of Hamilton will be taking up one of the theatres and also because it's Hamilton. Everyone will be wanting to go see it.

"

I got a season subscription for the season on sale now. Despite the fact that they're calling it "spring 2016" there is really only one spring show and the rest are summer and fall. So I don't know if they've just got a typo on their website and this is the fall season, if they're skipping the fall season, or if there are more shows to be announced for fall. I think I mentioned this on the Hamilton thread, but it seems unlikely that Hamilton will be part of a subscriber package given that the current package includes shows opening several months after it. 

Even though Hamilton will be taking up the BofA theater (or whatever it's called now) there is still some room for shows to be announced for the others. I don't think anything for BIC has been announced in the Auditorium theater, so shows could conceivably be announced there although I haven't checked the Joffrey schedule, and they use that theater as well. 

They announced a bunch of shows all at one earlier this year, but some others have been announced piecemeal so I'm not sure what's going on. 

BobChapski Profile Photo
BobChapski
#1732016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/7/16 at 5:05pm

GottaHaveAGimmick said: "Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Broward Center)

Cinderella       December 13-25, 2016

Cabaret           January 10-22, 2017

Little Mermaid  February 22-March 5, 2017

Something Rotten  March 21-April 2, 2017

Matilda             April 25-May 7, 2017

Finding Neverland June 13-25, 2017

"

Looking forward to this season.  It's a great lineup and I have not seen any of them.  It will be interesting to see who is in Cabaret at that time.

asmith0307
#1742016 - 2017 Touring Season
Posted: 2/7/16 at 9:56pm

Pretty much all the shows BIC has announced are Hamilton or in November so they should have quite a few more to keep up with their recent years.

Videos