NYCC Grand Hotel

bk
#150NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 4:17am

Tony Walton's set was nothing like this scaffolding thing - this is right out of Next to Normal in its look.  There was no staircase taking up space In Walton's set, just the revolving door, which was genius.  In fact, Walton's set was one of the best sets I've ever seen in its ability to evoke a past age by doing very little - it was as haunting as Tune's brilliant staging.

The larger question, for me, is when did Encores start doing huge sets, full costumes, and actors off book.  It's so not what it started out to be.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#151NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 9:13am

Tony's original set was indeed a triumph of evoking so much with very little. Essentially there was a series of plexiglass columns supporting a high gallery on which the orchestra was placed. The elaborate column capitals were evoked with draped clusters of glass beads alone. Uplights in the stage deck did the rest. Two huge openings in the upper gallery allowed giant chandeliers to descend at times. For the finale those chandeliers rotated above the cast. A raked deck was covered in stained parquet. A free-standing revolving door unit (with a base that compensated for the rake) could slide in a center deck track. The exposed brick wall of the theater was artfully lit by Jules and Peggy. The gilt ballroom chairs (same as in the revival) described rooms by their placement onstage, and an enormous pile of the chairs reached from the upper gallery to the flies. There was an act curtain of the facade of the hotel all described in twinkle lights. And that's pretty much it.

Tony was a genius at making so few pieces mean so much. (I'm biased of course-- I spent some wonderful years in the 80's drafting in his studio.)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#152NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 2:13pm

The orchestrations by Peter Matz for Grand Hotel are DELICIOUS!  Especially as played here by a 25 member orchestra.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#153NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 2:20pm

Tony Walton's set model for the original production.

NYCC Grand Hotel

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#154NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:06pm

1 Show left tonight at 7PM...Don't Miss it!

Saw the original and was not disappointed at all by this exquisite full staged and stunningly designed production.

Perfectly cast and Tommy Tune must be proud of Josh Rhodes' staging.

It is NOT a "Concert" version of the musical. It is ready for a move as is!

NYCC Grand Hotel

NYCC Grand HotelNYCC Grand Hotel

NYCC Grand HotelNYCC Grand Hotel
NYCC Grand Hotel

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/25/18 at 03:06 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#155NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:15pm

QueenAlice said: "Thanks for pointing that out. Actually, as I look at it more, this cast seems entirely appropriate. The show is the star. I just hope Josh Rhodes can capture the Tommy Tune magic doing his own thing."

He certainly does and some ...he makes Tune's BOLERO look bland but nothing can match Tune's breathtaking staging of the original!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#156NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:17pm

Sertzo19 said: "veraclaythorne2 said: "I was at the Dress last night, and there was no intermission. Straight through, it ran about 1 hr 45."

How was the show?? Thinking of seeing the Sunday Matinee but still undecided. Grand Hotel is one of my favorite musicals and I wasn't 100% convinced by this cast.
"

Sertzo19 Don't miss it!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#157NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:22pm

GeorgeandDot said: "It's a shame that Roundabout isn't doing a full revival of this. I feel like this would be a good pick for them and would help spice up their otherwise completely dry season."

They should put it in Studio 54 in the fall even though they have Kiss Me Kate next spring '19 but I overheard last night at City Center that Kate will take the Sondheim.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#158NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:25pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I should've grabbed some tickets for this. Does City Center have a rush?"

G&D  Don't miss it... last performance tonight at 7!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#159NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:45pm

Would Roundabout have two musical revivals running at the same time, in different theatres? I would imagine that it would be good for them financially.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#160NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 3:48pm

Jordan Catalano said: "James Snyder hasn’t trulyhad any opportunity to really “shine” in a show (and yes, I’m counting CRY-BABY, which I thought was awful and nobody really saw) so seeing him in this role proves just what a true Leading Man he is and what a gorgeous voice he has. I hate the overused word “revelation”, but to me that’s what he was in this. Yorke proved it is possible to fill Jane Krakowski’s very large shoes and was sweet and sad and superb. It feels like someone always says now that every Encores show “needs” to transfer, but this one absolutely does.

Jodan: Everything you have said about this production is "Spot On" !

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#161NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 4:09pm

I’ve seen it three times now. If this doesn’t end up on the top of the critics 10 best lists at the end of the season, I’ll be shocked.

As far as a transfer goes, this is a perfect show to “stunt cast” with, as there’s so many roles for all types of actors with names who will sell tickets. Because as good as this revival is, without that big name on the marquee, it’ll be a really tough sell.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#162NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 4:16pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve seen it three times now. If this doesn’t end up on the top of the critics 10 best lists at the end of the season, I’ll be shocked.

As far as a transfer goes, this is a perfect show to “stunt cast” with, as there’s so many roles for all types of actors with names who will sell tickets. Because as good as this revival is, without that big name on the marquee, it’ll be a really tough sell.
"

Barry & Fran were there last night

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#163NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 4:19pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve seen it three times now. If this doesn’t end up on the top of the critics 10 best lists at the end of the season, I’ll be shocked."

Brantley’s review was decidedly mixed, and I wonder if the fact his review wasn’t a rave will hinder discussions of a Broadway transfer. Something about the show screams Roundabout.

I’m curious, Jordan, who in the cast would you imagine would be “stunt cast”? Brantley singles out Uranowitz, Yorke, and Gossett, would someone like Snyder be replaced? Or Dvorovenko?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#164NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 5:39pm

I don’t like the idea of this show being stunt cast. A transfer without Uranowitz and Yorke is a transfer I don’t want to see happen.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#165NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 6:16pm

Keep in mind, when I say “stunt cast” I just meant putting a “star” in one of the roles. Everyone at NYCC is spectacular and I’d hate to see any of them not transfer with the show, but if someone has to be replaced by a name who will make sure the show sells - we’ll thats just show business.

GeorgeandDot
#166NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 6:31pm

Unfortunately, I think Uranowitz has the role that is the best for stunt casting. I could easily see someone like Mandy Patinkin stepping into that role. Uranowitz is so wonderful though and I can't imagine them wanting to replace him.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#167NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 6:46pm

*If* there are any attempts to transfer this, I can’t imagine that Uranowitz, the Tony-nominated actor who got raves for the best role in the show, would be replaced unless he became unavailable. I’m curious to see whether this will have a life beyond this weekend, Brantley has certainly changed his mind about some shows following the move from City Center to Broadway (LuPone’s GYPSY comes to mind).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

A Director
#168NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 6:50pm

Grand Hotel is an ensemble show.  No one in the original production were big names and look how long the show ran.

Mandy has never been known for his dancing.

I've always thought of Ben Brantley as a stunt reviewer.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#169NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 6:53pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Unfortunately, I think Uranowitz has the role that is the best for stunt casting. I could easily see someone like Mandy Patinkin stepping into that role. Uranowitz is so wonderful though and I can't imagine them wanting to replace him."

Mandy Patinkin? This role is meant for a pocket sized dynamo charmer. Brandon Uranowitz is exactly that. Mandy Patinkin exudes a rather stern authority. If anything I could imagine Patinkin as Preysing. 

I mean look at the original clips of Michael Jeter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euCvQ4ikZZQ&t=272s

Brandon could be Jeter's brother from another mother. Mandy? Not so much.

GeorgeandDot
#170NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 7:23pm

I literally just pulled that name out of my a**. I'm just saying that I could see someone like him taking over that role since it is probably the role that's the most stunt castable, but I can't see them replacing Uranowitz. I just wonder if this show could ride on positive word of mouth without any sort of "star." It's a shame that Joel Grey is probably too old now to handle the role.

evic
#171NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 7:26pm

I am laughing thinking about the stunt casting for this if The Weisslers pick it up to transfer. Melanie Griffith as Ballerina, Lea Delaria as Raffaella and Usher as The Baron.  Brandy as Flaemchen....et. al.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#172NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 8:29pm

evic said: "I am laughing thinking about the stunt casting for this if The Weisslers pick it up to transfer. Melanie Griffith as Ballerina, Lea Delaria as Raffaella and Usher as The Baron. Brandy as Flaemchen....et. al."

Yeah...the PIPPIN cast they put together with such outrageous, non-talented choices as Andrea Martin, Patina Miller, Terrence Mann, Charlotte d’Amboise, and Rachel Bay Jones was lol-worthy.

ELP
#173NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/26/18 at 12:08am

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "*If* there are any attempts to transfer this, I can’t imagine that Uranowitz, the Tony-nominated actor who got raves for the best role in the show, would be replaced unless he became unavailable. I’m curious to see whether this will have a life beyond this weekend, Brantley has certainly changed his mind about some shows following the move from City Center to Broadway (LuPone’s GYPSY comes to mind)."

I was at the show Saturday afternoon and the hands-down star of the entire cast was Mr. Uranowitz. The audience certainly agreed at curtain call. An absolute brilliant and heartfelt performance. I thought he was wonderful in Falsettos but he’s on a completely different level in this role. For him, a star-making role to be sure!

Wayman_Wong
#174NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/26/18 at 12:28am

''James Snyder hasn’t truly had any opportunity to really “shine” in a show (and yes, I’m counting CRY-BABY, which I thought was awful and nobody really saw).''

I couldn't disagree more. I loved ''Cry-Baby'' so much that I saw it 5 times. It was a riot, and Snyder was wonderful, especially doing ''Girl, Can I Kiss You (With Tongue'' ) and leading the prison gang in ''A Little Upset'' (see shortened version from the 2008 Tonys). ''Cry-Baby'' had a phenomenal cast that included Elizabeth Stanley and the comic geniuses of Christopher J. Hanke and Alli Mauzey.

Snyder also shone in ''If/Then,'' opposite Idina Menzel, and his moving ''Hey, Kid'' solo was sort of a modern-day version of the ''Soliloquy'' from ''Carousel.'' Speaking of which, he played Billy Bigelow at Goodspeed at 2012, and just listen to the snippets of HIS ''Soliloquy'' (on the highlights tape, at 4:17). No offense to Joshua Henry, but I wish Snyder were starring in the current Broadway revival. I don't think I've heard any guy sing it more powerfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZEIPmSdeks

Updated On: 3/26/18 at 12:28 AM

Videos