pixeltracker

Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?- Page 8

Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#175re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/28/09 at 9:27pm

Hey gang! I saw Ragtime Sunday afternoon and it exceeded my already high expectations. When was the last time you "Bravo"-ed the exit music at a Broadway show? That's how good this show is. The cast is superb, with the standout being Christiane Noll who is absolutely (as stated before) devestating as Mother. The direction is beautiful. The score and book are, as always, magnificent. I found myself extremely moved on multiple occasions and jumping and shouting for joy several other times. It's simply that good. This makes what I thought was a stellar revival of West Side Story look like Deuce. But since everyone here hated that one, I suppose that's a bad analogy. But anyhow, go see Ragtime! It's superb! Congratulations to all involved! I smell Tonys!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#176re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/28/09 at 11:26pm

Saw the matinee today(Wed.) and loved it!! I'll keep it short: Loved Darrington(Coalhouse Walker Jr.), Noll(Mother) & Umoh(Sarah) as all three should be serious Tony contenders. Also enjoyed Petkoff(Tateh), Hammond(Houdini) & Migliaccio(Emma Goldman). The show had tons of energy, this cast is very strong and is clearly the front-runner to win the best revival Tony.

As for the car & piano. They bothered me for about two seconds, then I moved on. Enjoyed the simplicity of the three tiered set, it works beautifully. And please let there be a cast recording of this. It deserves to be recorded!! And unless The Addams Family, La Cage or A Little Night Music(or even Spiderman if it ever gets going) completely blows me away, Ragtime appears to be the best show to arrive on Broadway this season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#177re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/28/09 at 11:51pm

To the people going this week, how full have the houses been? I'm curious what kind of audience the show is pulling, now that the fans of the show and the diehards in the theatre community have already seen it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#178re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/28/09 at 11:56pm

This may have already been discussed, but I'm curious to know if "Harry Houdini, Master Escapist" is still cut and which version of "He Wanted to Say" they are using. There's the original and a much shorter version available in the licensed script.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#179re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/28/09 at 11:59pm

Harry Houdini, Master Escapist is no longer a part of the show. It's not in the licensed version and is not a part of this production. Act 2 opens with Coalhouse's Soliloquy segueing into Coalhouse Demands. The short version of He Wanted To Say is used.
Updated On: 10/29/09 at 11:59 PM

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#180re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/29/09 at 12:02am

They're essentially doing the "concert" version (I believe that's the way MTI labels it) so Harry Houdini, Master Escapist is cut - the second act opens with Coalhouse's Soliloquy - and He Wanted to Say is shortened as well.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#181re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/29/09 at 12:15am

They're essentially doing the "concert" version (I believe that's the way MTI labels it) so Harry Houdini, Master Escapist is cut - the second act opens with Coalhouse's Soliloquy

Harry Houdini, Master Escapist is not in ANY licensed version of the show. The creative team completely cut it after the Broadway run.

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#182re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/29/09 at 12:35am

I can't wait to see this tomorrow night! It'll be the first time I've seen Ragtime since the final performance of the original run.

re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)? re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)? re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#183re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/29/09 at 12:37am

The orchestra section for the Wed. matinee looked about 90% full. I'm really hoping that solid reviews and strong word of mouth really help to fill the house, the show deserves it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#184re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/29/09 at 2:34pm

jv92

You hit it EXACTLY on the head. I was also there Sunday Matinee and had very high expectations. The show is STUNNING -- I was literally out of breath at the final curtain -- it is the best revival I've seen in 20 years of NYC theatre going.

DO NOT MISS IT

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#185re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 12/19/10 at 2:42pm

I know I'm extremely late considering the show has already closed, but while the show was running, what did people think of Savannah Wise as Evelyn Nesbit? (Didn't want to have to start a new thread)

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

tking001
#186re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 12/19/10 at 3:28pm

Can they please bring back this beautiful show

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#188re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 12/19/10 at 5:38pm

^I wish ill upon you.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#189re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 12/19/10 at 7:32pm

Oh God, how I miss this show.

I remember being surprised Savannah Wise left Rock of Ages for the role of Evelyn Nesbit but none the less, she (along with the whole cast) did a phenomenal job... there's not that much you can do with Evelyn Nesbit, though.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#190re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 12/19/10 at 8:22pm

I miss this show so much. re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?

And Savannah Wise was good and very funny but there isn't a huge amount you can actually do with the role. I enjoyed Leigh Ann Larkin at the Kennedy Center as well.

Videos