JCS Previews Thread

kevin5
#175JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/22/12 at 7:53pm

I saw this show and dispite a cast that do justice to Llyod Weber's fantastic score, this show was awful. The sets are unimaginative and the costumes and choreography are train wrecks, but the worst of all is the staging that looks more like a lady gaga concert. The cast seemed lost on the stage half the time I wondered what they were doing as they were aimlessly walking from one side of the stage to the other, Mary was the worst at doing this. I also had to laugh that when Jesus was being flogged Mary decided to go hold his hand. , they were not believable. It was an awful production. Canada does not know the first thing about broadway. I would be very surprised if this show was around by the time of the Tony awards. This show is a bug turkey.

WilliamTheBloody
#176JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/23/12 at 1:44am

I was at Opening Night tonight. It was my first Opening Night, so I was outside in the street (but on the inside of the metal barricade) dead center to see who was getting their picture taken in front of the theater, and which news people were covering it. So at least that much was exciting. I saw Lisa Lampanelli and Eddie Izzard both of whom I enjoy very much. Part of me thinks I should have worn a tie, but I don't have many ties for a burgundy shirt. :-P

Anyway that much was an experience, because usually I just see shows on "Nights" (or days). The show itself was fun because of it's grand camp value and catchy music but I'm not sure if that's enough to carry it. I feel like the previews don't give accurate views of the show because the reviews are madly in love with Jeremy Kushnier playing Judas, but as of opening night tonight Josh Young is back.

mee.who
#177JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/23/12 at 9:08am

I don't think the reviews are THAT inaccurate because many of the reviewers saw Kushnier. The reviewers who did see Young seemed as 'madly in love' with him as the others were with Kushnier. *shrug*

I've seen Young in the role twice, a week or so ago and then again last night. He was clearly not 100% last night and was struggling with/missed many (well, most) of the higher notes, but I still found him wonderful and heartbreaking in the role. Haven't seen Kushnier yet though.

Updated On: 3/23/12 at 09:08 AM

TheaterAddict17 Profile Photo
TheaterAddict17
#178JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/23/12 at 11:22am

I saw the show with Kushnier on Tuesday and he was the only one onstage that really made me feel anything. From the moment he started the show until he rocked out in that sparkly blue tux, Kushnier not only vocally blew the roof off of the Neil Simon Theatre, but he was heartbreaking as the conflicted Judas and absolutely stole the show.

Aside from his performance and that of the menacing Tom Hewitt, I thought the show fell kind of flat. It was sung beautifully and hearing that score live was an experience in it of itself; however, I was kind of disappointed by the acting.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#179JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/28/12 at 3:43pm

I never realized how much Damned for All Time sounds like the Theme from Batman. That's crazy. I tried to google any info about this but couldn't find anything. Just kind of bizarre.
In any event, I enjoyed the show last night, and am enjoying the cast recording (London Revival 1996 or 1997) that I bought on iTunes this morning very much today.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

bookofmel Profile Photo
bookofmel
#180JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/28/12 at 6:08pm

Haha it DOES sound like the old Batman theme! If only Adam West was in this show, then maybe it could have been saved.

I went in ready to have fun, but seeing this version just made me realize how bad the show itself is. I was very disappointed with the direction and Paul Nolan was underwhelming to say the least, so the faults with the show were magnified.

And my favorite part of the show since I was child is and will always be Disco Judas. His blue suit did not disappoint, but wtf was up with not giving the back up singers fun, glittery costumes? I mean come on... IT'S DISCO JUDAS! That number was my favorite part of this production, but that's not saying much.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#181JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/28/12 at 6:19pm

There is one very awkward exit for Mary. I remember her just tanding up and walking off from stage left to stage right. There was no motivation for the movve. The friend who went with me leaned over and asked, "Where the hell is she off to?".

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#182JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/28/12 at 7:17pm

I agree with the final # not being "disco" enough. I wish there were LESS girls in the finale, with MORE glitz. The way it is now, the blue spandex suit looks way out of place.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#183JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/28/12 at 7:18pm

Anyone know if they're taking pre-orders at the theatre for a cast recording? I'm going to be bummed if they don't record this.

Videos