Pippin Tour?

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#175Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 4:38pm

I used to second act all the time. If there are empty seats usually ushers look the other way. Last time was twice for Follies at the Marquis.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#176Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 4:54pm

Second acting IS a grand old tradition. That's how I saw Glenn Close's curtain speech on the closing night of Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles. She mentioned being there though the "death of Jackie Kennedy Onasis and the OJ Simpson car chase".

Also, I saw Debbie Gibson's first night in Les Mis that way.

It has been a long long time since I did it though.

BTW I think Pippin has got the be the worst show to second act ever.

trpguyy
#177Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 5:06pm

I'm well aware of "second-acting" and the history behind it.
That still doesn't give anyone the right to go to a show without a ticket.
An usher not doing their job does not give you the right to enter the theater without a ticket.
Having previously seen the show does not give you the right to go back for free.
It goes along the same lines of video-taping a show, which is universally frowned upon (on this message board, at least).

It's never right, but ESPECIALLY with a production like this where the performers' wages are literally dependent on box office receipts.

And as was said before, what an awful show to second-act!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#178Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 6:15pm

@trp I don't know you. But you kind of come out as a looser. You have any friends? BTW your statement as to the actors wages with this productions is way off. They are not making any more or less money.

Second acting is a fun part of old school theater going tradition.

Updated On: 11/5/14 at 06:15 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#179Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 6:28pm

I can remember talk radio show host Lynn Samuels talking about being a starving college student and second acting Auntie Mame with Roz Russell every night for months. It was a wonderful, charming story.

It isn't as if she would have been going every night if she wasn't second acting. I guess I would say that once you reach a certain age maybe you should stop. But to get upset over someone doing it out of a passion for theater seems silly to me! I don't think its hurting anyone.

trpguyy
#180Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 6:28pm

You caught me. I live a sad and lonely life because I think stealing isn't cool.

And no, I'm extremely well-informed - the Pippin tour (and many others) is under the AEA SETA contract, which means that the salaries are laughable with the hope/promise of profit sharing ("overages") once the Producer's weekly guarantee is met. Meaning, if people think they're entitled to walk into the show for free, the actors get paid less.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#181Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 6:33pm

LoveB: I agree. It is the worst show to second act. It was KDM's first night. We were at the Frolick bar right next door to the theater and I saw the opportunity. Will do it again next week for Kinky .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 11/5/14 at 06:33 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#182Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 7:06pm

"But you will be amazed how far a smile and a little honesty gets you."

So, if I smile and tell the usher I'm second acting, I can get in too? Something tells me DAME's pretty good looking.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#183Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 7:18pm

Ha! I don't think so. But I will take it. Pippin Tour?

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#184Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 7:43pm

What is second acting? I'm so confused. Is it not paying for a ticket? Like being friends with an usher and them letting you sneak in? or usher letting you switch to a more expensive seat?

I've never not payed for a ticket even when I see the show multiple times. Sorry, I really want to know.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#185Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:01pm

JoseLee : During intermission when the audience is out having a smoke or stretching their legs ; one mingles with the audience and walks in and finds a empty seat for the second act of a show. Mostly the people that do it are rabid theater fans or college students who don't have the money for a ticket. Theater lovers with a huge passion to see something and they have no other way. I agree with whoever said that after a certain age it shouldn't be your norm. It used to be done more till about 10 years ago. It is obviously not legal. The worst thing that has ever happened to me is I was asked nicely to leave. 99.9.9% of the time no one gives a crap.

Updated On: 11/5/14 at 08:01 PM

Starship
#186Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:02pm

@JoseLee_ - From what I've deciphered from their bickering, it's when you basically sneak into a show during Act 2 by either A) Lying to the usher & saying you have a ticket to get back in or B) Just walking in and hoping the Usher doesn't say anything.

I probably misunderstood the definition, but that was my take on it.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#187Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:05pm

You never talk to a usher. You just let them look the other way.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#188Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:11pm

Thank you guys for the definition.
I've never even thought about an idea like that until today!
I never go to a theatre here in L.A. without having a ticket.
The most bad thing I've done is move to the balcony center. Just because my friend wanted to go up there for intermission then we just stayed there. Those seats were so expensive and I've felt guilty ever since.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#189Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:13pm

Well then it is not for you.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#190Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:54am

I personally haven't done it since I was 19 years old, but it was very easy back then. You simply mingle with the crowd during intermission outside. The when everyone walks in, you walk in too, and take a seat in an empty section. I imagine less people mill about outside now that so few smoke these days.

When I did it for Glenn Close's final Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles, it was sold out, so I just stood in the back of the mezz.

Again, I don't agree that anyone is getting any less money because anyone who is second acting very likely wouldn't have been able to afford a ticket. Or had seen the show previously and couldn't afford to see it again.

I have ZERO problem with it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#191Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:58am

I (personally) think second acting is the same thing as murder. Not in the sense that you're actually killing someone, but that you're taking away the life of what "could have been" and by that, I mean just the essence of the theater environment as it was before you came into the theater to take that seat, thereby altering the audience from what it had been in the previous act, so what you're doing is creating an uncomfortable place for the actors to be onstage, since they're no longer playing to the same house that they had been playing to and it utterly confuses them. And when I said it's the same thing as murder, while I obviously didn't mean it literally, I do think people who do it should receive something along the same lines of punishment for it, because even if they didn't kill someone it should be something like "Fraud" because they're defrauding the actors and the other audience members of what they came in to see and to be around because you weren't a part of that to begin with, and you can't just alter it like that. It's unfair to everyone including yourself which I don't think anyone besides trpguyy understands.

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#192Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:49pm

I've never second acted but I will say that the Pantages ushers are some of the strictest about moving up at intermission--I was pretty far back in the mezz for a show a few years ago (West Side Story maybe?) and there were two or three rows of empty seats a section or two in front of me. At intermission, I politely asked the usher if we could move up and she informed me quite brusquely that we could not, as we hadn't paid for that section.

I understand that in principle, but at the same time... if you have that many empty seats why wouldn't you let people in the cheaper seats move up to them? It's not like they're going to get filled by anyone else.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#193Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 12:06am

They change a lot there. I am guessing most of them are college students . They are very good at keeping people from taking pictures .

BTW Check out the Frolick room next to the Pantages. That little bar has so much history.

Wildcard
#194Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 1:00pm

Saw the tour again last night, this time with KDM. He was good as Pippin although he was also taller, more buff, and more beautiful than his brother… what was he whining about! Andrea got the standing ovation mid-show which didn't happen the first time I saw it. One thing that Andrea did that none of the other actors seemed to pay attention to was her enunciation. You could clearly understand everything she was saying. John Rubinstein was better about it this time around compared to the first time. It was still a struggle to understand his lines but it was better.

Sasha works as the Leading Player. Yes, she's no Patina Miller but she is able to keep up with the demands of the role. There are some nasal portions (which too make her difficult to understand) but there was also a smoky, raspy sound to her voice which was nice. I liked her portrayal more the second time around, more menacing towards the end yet still charismatic.

Side notes:
• I did not like the original production of Pippin. Didn't understand it. Amazing how age and time puts things in perspective
• I sat behind a man who must have been a giant. I couldn't see behind him. Also beside me was a teenager who clearly did not want to be there. It was like sitting next to one of those kids on those viral videos of teens throwing tantrums because they lost their video games. OMG, are all teens like that? Were we like that?! He kept grunting his displeasure to his mother/grandmother. He didn't seem like a special needs kid. Use your words kid! I moved to the back of the balcony where it was empty and much nicer.

vitamins
#195Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 1:42pm

The actors don't get "paid less," they just don't get paid more.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#196Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 1:47pm

"I sat behind a man who must have been a giant. I couldn't see behind him. Also beside me was a teenager who clearly did not want to be there. It was like sitting next to one of those kids on those viral videos of teens throwing tantrums because they lost their video games. OMG, are all teens like that? Were we like that?! He kept grunting his displeasure to his mother/grandmother. He didn't seem like a special needs kid. Use your words kid! I moved to the back of the balcony where it was empty and much nicer."

Oh my. I hate when stuff like that happens. These things are all so subjective to who is around us. I am trying to become better at being patient and shutting these people out of my experience. But sometimes it is so hard.

Updated On: 11/7/14 at 01:47 PM

smallvillefan16
#197Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/8/14 at 3:27am

Saw the show this evening - I went in knowing nothing about the plot [other than what I've seen from the Tony's] but loving the music.

I have very mixed feelings over my experience. While the acrobatics were absolutely amazing, there was not much of a plot [something I just didn't do - next time I'll research] and left, what I felt, much to be desired.

Andrea was fantastic, Sasha was good, KDM was beautiful [first time seeing him perform] but the only thing I'll remember from his performance was his abs.

It's a quick show and I was entertained.

I think I just went in with too many expectations. With that said, I would definitely recommend people to go see it. It's a fun night at the theater.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#198Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/8/14 at 4:21am

Pippin doesn't have a plot? Were you paying attention?

I was at tonight's performance Nov. 7th. Third and final time seeing the tour, first time seeing Kyle Dean Massey. OMG! HE WAS AMAZING!!! I kind of loved his singing a little bit better than Matthew's but Matthew will always be my first Pippin Tour? I can't really compare because both Matthew & Kyle blew me away. I will say that Kyle is soooooo sexy. Those abs had me sweating. He was the full package... great actor, singer, dancer, and not too bad on the eyes. If you see Kyle, you're in for a treat. Sasha was also amazing! I've gotten used to seeing her in the role and I've really loved her take on it. All three times I saw Pippin, John Rubenstein's only song wasn't good! I couldn't understand anything he was saying in the fast part. I LOVE the guy who plays Lewis, the ladies who play Fastrada & Catherine... they are all superstars.. what voices, dancing, & acting talent they ALL have. Overall, this tour is one you'll never forget. Go see it when it comes to your area.

Updated On: 11/8/14 at 04:21 AM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#199Pippin Tour?
Posted: 11/8/14 at 11:27am

Saw the tour last night and thought it really lived up to my experience of seeing in it in NY! The three others in our group were seeing it for the first time and loved it too - what a treat to see Andrea Martin stop the show!! Anyone with a pulse should find at least one thing to love about this production. At the very least it will motivate you to hit the gym!! LOL

Videos