pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 8

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#175THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/17/17 at 9:28am

I saw this show last night for the second time thanks to rush. For $40 I sat in extreme side orchestra 5th row. It was technically partial view but I was certainly closer to the actors compared to the first time I saw it (sat last row of front side mezz). From that angle, I particularly loved the baby scene. The shadow cast when the clarinet player soothed the baby was quite touching. 

Overall, this show grew on me and I left wanting more. I wish Katrina Lenk sang another song and after hearing the telephone guy's beautiful voice, I wish he sang another song too. Heck I wish the band played another song! 

Either way, I was glad upon entering the theater that the ushers and ticket scanners all told me it's one act and no intermission. The first time I went, none of them told me that. Yesterday it started at 8:07pm and I was outside the theater by 9:42pm.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
willrolandsframes
#177THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 1:46pm

I think it's fair to start pinning this as the likely winner of Best Musical. Let's be honest with ourselves here. Do we really think Tony voters are going to pick SpongeBob or Mean Girls over this? Of course not. Unless Brantley just destroys this (which I doubt he would), this is a lock, as it was really as soon as it got announced.

Now for Shalhoub and Lenk, I do think it's too early to start calling them out as the winners. I don't see a scenario in which one doesn't receive a nomination (Maybe a slew of new shows randomly appear with big male leads that knock out Shalhoub, but that is incredibly unlikely). However, I think it's way to early to claim one as a winner. I already don't think Shalhoub's performance will live up to the expectations I have for both Ethan Slater and Joshua Henry. Likewise, as phenomenal as Lenk is, it's very hard to predict how she'll stack up against Jessie Mueller and Hailey Kilgore until both of those shows open.

So instead of jumping the gun and saying "OH MY GOD KATRINA LENK IS THE BEST ACTRESS SINCE SLICED BREAD" or whatever, let's be patient and wait until April when we can truly evaluate her against her competition. That's when we'll truly know how great her performance was.

smidge
#178THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 3:31pm

I would also wait until April before proclaiming any lock on Best Musical. I wouldn’t quickly dismiss Mean Girls especially with Tina Fey’s involvement. If it has a witty book and catchy tunes it may be more than just a silly teen comedy. And there’s also still a possibility of something new being announced.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#179THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 4:27pm

I predict that Katrina will win because A. She's incredible. B. She was heavily praised for Indecent and many felt that she was snubbed for that show. C. Tony voters like star turns like this and D. She's already recieved wide critical acclaim for her performance in this show.  Jessie or Lauren could very well win too, but Katrina's been the favorite to win a Tony since the show was Off Broadway.  We'll have to wait and see, but if we're taking bets, I'll put my money on Lenk winning this year.  For now, at least.

Also, I think The Band's Visit will definitely be winning Best Musical.  The Tony voters these days tend to like shows with artistic integrity.  Mean Girls would be have to be amazing to edge out TBV.

UncleCharlie
#180THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 6:22pm

The need for some people here to definitively start predicting Tony races in October when many of the likely contenders are still 2-3 months from even starting rehearsals has always amused me. I guess it gives them something to do.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#181THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 7:25pm

UncleCharlie said: "The need for some people here to definitively start predictingTony races in October when many of the likely contenders are still 2-3monthsfrom even starting rehearsals has always amused me. I guess it gives them something to do."

No kidding. I find it incredibly annoying.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

GeorgeandDot
#182THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 7:42pm

I find it funny how some of you act all high and mighty on here all the time.  Get over it.  Some of us like to have a little fun by predicting awards.  It's nothing serious.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#183THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 10:55pm

I was there tonight and absolutely adored The Band's Visit. With all the crap going on in the world, this is just what I needed: some beautiful music, touching performances and a good, little cry. 

This has been my favorite book, score and musical since Fun Home. Every aspect was just right for me. The performances were pitched so perfectly. Everything was so wonderfully restrained. Not only does Cromer create some lovely stage pictures, but you can tell he's an actor's director too. The cast feels like such a unified ensemble- everyone is so in sync and on the same page. 

You can hear how this score is a natural progression from WOTV, and I bet it will be fun to play both cast recordings back to back. "Itzik's Lullaby" might be my favorite David Yazbek song ever! Wow. I got very emotional while Cariani sang it, as well as in the scene that followed. 

Yes, Katrina Lenk is fantastic, as many others have noted. She really seems to be having a moment right now, just like when Lena Hall had a moment a few seasons back in Hedwig. Shalhoub is such a tremendous stage actor; even with all the awards he's received, I still think he's a wildly underrated actor. 

Adam Kantor, Etai Benson, George Abud and Ari'el Stachel were all excellent too. The definitely need two categories for Featured Actor in Musical this year: Best Featured Actor in The Band's Visit and Best Featured Actor in all other musicals except The Band's Visit. 

This was a real treat and can't wait to go back again. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#184THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/18/17 at 11:04pm

Have they expanded the design at all? I thought it was so smartly designed and laid out off-Broadway. Just curious if this incarnation is any different now that they have the space and money.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#185THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/19/17 at 10:53am

willrolandsframes said: " Unless Brantley just destroys this (which I doubt he would), this is a lock, as it was really as soon as it got announced.

It's virtually impossible that Brantley will "destroy" TBV as he absolutely raved about it at The Atlantic. He called it the best musical he had seen the entire season, and jokingly said that it should win the Best New Musical Tony in his "What will win, should win" pre Tony column. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/theater/the-bands-visit-review.html

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Jaina
#186THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/19/17 at 11:02pm

A little late to the party, but my girlfriend and I saw this on the opening preview night and absolutely loved it. Of the six musicals we saw the week we were in NYC this one has stuck with us the most. We had absolutely no expectations going in and knew nothing about it, but coming from Canada we figured this was our only chance to see something that might have a chance at a Tony, and couldn't pass up that opportunity as we don't get to New York very often. 

We tried for rush tickets, but got there a little late (around 9:30), but ended up getting front row (AA112 and 113) tickets for $80 each. Best money we spent all week. The front row is a great view, although you don't see the stage itself, so I feel we missed some of the overall impact of the turntables and staging, but even though we were off to the side our view wasn't obstructed.

Neither of us particularly liked Once, but we both really enjoyed this. Of all the new shows we saw, this is the only one that the music stuck with us, and like everyone else we can't wait for the cast recording. The acting was great, it's a very quiet and reflective musical, but we were never bored. Fingers crossed we'll get to see it again at some point!

ElphabaGoodman
#187THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/21/17 at 4:42pm

Apparently Tony Shalhoub was out of the matinee today and James Rana went on as Tewfiq for the first time. 

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#188THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/21/17 at 6:22pm

ElphabaGoodman said: "Apparently Tony Shalhoub was out of the matinee today and James Rana went on as Tewfiq for the first time."

James was on as Tewfiq last night as well. I saw the show yesterday and will share my thoughts when I get the chance to sit down and write a longer post!

dlenxz Profile Photo
dlenxz
#189THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/21/17 at 7:44pm

James Rana is on tonight as well. I hope everything is OK with Tony Shalhoub. Really looking forward to the show!

newsie20841
#190THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/21/17 at 8:10pm

Jaina said: "We tried for rush tickets, but got there a little late (around 9:30), but ended up getting front row (AA112 and 113) tickets for $80 each. Best money we spent all week. The front row is a great view, although you don't see the stage itself, so I feel we missed some of the overall impact of the turntables and staging, but even though we were off to the side our view wasn't obstructed."

Very glad to hear this!  I have front row seats for a performance just prior to opening and I was a bit concerned it would be too close.  I am visually impaired so sitting close is always my preference, but I'm always curious what the experience is like for the various normally-sighted people I see shows with.

Were those front row seats a secondary rush option, or are they available at the box office at any time?  

Jaina
#191THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 12:58am

newsie20841 said: "Jaina said: "We tried for rush tickets, but got there a little late (around 9:30), but ended up getting front row (AA112 and 113) tickets for $80 each. Best money we spent all week. The front row is a great view, although you don't see the stage itself, so I feel we missed some of the overall impact of the turntables and staging, but even though we were off to the side our view wasn't obstructed."

Very glad to hear this! I have front row seats for a performance just prior to opening and I was a bit concerned it would be too close. I am visually impaired so sitting close is always my preference, but I'm always curious what the experience is like for the various normally-sighted people I see shows with.

Were those front row seats a secondary rush option, or are they available at the box office at any time?
"

Hi newsie! They'd just sold the last rush tickets shortly before we got to the window, so I'm thinking they were just unsold seats from that show. I'm assuming you could always check with the box office at any time during the day to see what they have available for the evening's show. Not sure what the regular price of those seats were, but after buying Hamilton tickets, everything else feels like pocket change, lol! 

The super close seats are a different experience! We loved being that close to all the amazing musical talent on stage, it was very cool being right in front of the musicians as they played. I think if the people you're with are prepared to embrace it as a more "untraditional" theatre experience, they'll really enjoy it! I hope you all have a great time! :) 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#192THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 6:38am

I just looked as I couldn’t recall where my seat is. I bought my ticket (for 11/11 matinee) 2 months ago. I’m in Row C Front Mezzanine, mainly because I was looking for an aisle seat (long legs with bad knees here). Hope I don’t regret not being closer. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#193THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 7:10am

Saw this last night with my partner and...well, I can't say I'm blown away. Music was some of the best I have heard in a while, but the story itself was lacking substance for me. I did not understand some of the choices characters were making. The whole "here's a brief snippet into these lives" form of storytelling needs at least one anchoring storyline and this show didn't offer that (Tony Shalhoub was out, can't tell if that had an impact or not). The slow speed is fine, but if you're going to have unexplained characters and leave them with unresolved stories, you need to give me more meat.

Katrina Lenk was breathtaking, and Omar Sheriff's melody is going to stay with me for a long time, but there wasn't anything else I'll remember from this show. I'd give this show best orchestrations, music/lyrics, even a couple performances - but it doesn't deserve Best Musical applause.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

GeorgeandDot
#194THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 8:26am

Valentina3 said: "it doesn't deserve Best Musical applause."

But what else does?  SpongeBob?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#195THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 8:51am

Just because it's the "best" out of a lousy lot won't make it objectively worth the award, IMO. Give the award retroactively to Into The Woods, or Gypsy if (and since) you're asking me.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

GeorgeandDot
#196THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 9:07am

^Ok....

BeukyBaby
#197THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 9:11am

Any info on a cast recording yet? I love all of my Yazbeck cast albums, and can't wait to hear this.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#198THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 4:26pm

Finally getting a few moments to organize my thoughts about this show. The short version is: you can count me in the camp that absolutely loved it. I can certainly understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it touching, funny, and small in the best way.

Friday was James Rana's first show as Tewfiq. Obviously I haven't seen Shalhoub so I can't compare, but I thought he was wonderful. It's a very restrained, subtle role wth a few bursts of emotion, and he did it wonderfully well. The scene where he shows Dina how to conduct was glorious.

A lot has already been said about Katrina Lenk, and all I can do is add to the praise. She is positively mesmerizing. 

The supporting cast, too, is full of excellent turns. I would single out Adam Kantor's tiny but meaningful turn as the Telephone Guy, and Ari'el Stachel and Etai Benson as the funny, heartfelt mismatched duo of Haled and Papi. Their pair of songs (the ones performed at Elsie Fest, for the curious) is one of the best parts of the show. And the band as a whole is beyond phenomenal.

The score is definitely a standout, especially "Omar Sharif" and "Answer Me." The latter had me nearly in tears. Everything about this show is subtle and real, and that's what makes it powerful. No one has grand epiphanies or big life changes- they have subtle shifts in understanding that we understand to be part of an ongoing story that we won't see. I loved that; it made me care more because I felt like these were real people living and fighting and loving.

Finally, for the questions about the cast album: I heard one of the actors at stage door say that they're recording the week after opening night, and the merch lady seemed to think it might be released either just before or just after the holidays.

BarbraFan
#199THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/22/17 at 7:47pm

Tony Shalhoub’s daughter got married on Saturday, hence he missed both performances. 

Videos