pixeltracker

Official Shrek The Musical Thread- Page 8

Official Shrek The Musical Thread

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#175re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:00pm

The current problems of Donkey having nothing to do with Gregory. It's a combination of how he's been directing and the fact that he's playing the most memorable one-line character of the film.

tommigyrl5
#176re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:22pm

And...

I think its very telling that the 2 black characters in the show are the most underdeveloped. Especially since one of them is supposed to be a co-lead. I don't like using the word racism BUT thats what I see and I don't like it. This show is doing its best to appeal to a great WHITE way crowd and shoving its color to the side. Why cast such a dynamic performer and not let him do what he does best? Are they scared that the Time Out New York's fall preview would be true?

TONY Fall Preview 08':
87% That Brian d'Arcy James, trying not to channel Mike Myers, will do his damnedest to get beyond the Gumby jokes.

65% THAT HE'LL BE UPSTAGED BY AN ASS (THE FORMIDABLE CHESTER GREGORY II-PREVIOUSLY SEEN AS AS A GORILLA IN TARZAN-PLAYS DONKEY)

12% That John Lithgow will take a break from All My Sons over on 45th ans put in a cameo as Lord Farquaad.
95% That Sutton Foster (Princess Fiona) will have funnier material that she did in the ultrasucky Youg Frankenstein.
2% That Jeanine Tesori's score will incorporate the Monkees' "I'm a Believer," like the movie did.

(I agree with you Bobby)
Updated On: 9/11/08 at 07:22 PM

broadwayboy101
#177re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:35pm

...ok musicaltheatrefan3...

thevolleyballer
#178re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:26am

"I think its very telling that the 2 black characters in the show are the most underdeveloped. Especially since one of them is supposed to be a co-lead. I don't like using the word racism BUT thats what I see and I don't like it. This show is doing its best to appeal to a great WHITE way crowd and shoving its color to the side. Why cast such a dynamic performer and not let him do what he does best? Are they scared that the Time Out New York's fall preview would be true?"

... you can't be serious?

SteamHeat2 Profile Photo
SteamHeat2
#179re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:39am

Hi everybody!
So I have now seen Shrek three times (14 Aug, 29 Aug, 10 Sep) and I will see it closing night. I have also watched two rehearsals and talked to the director, Tesori, and most of the cast so if anybody has any questions about anything about the show, ask away! And Ill answer to the best of my ability :)

edit: also I have three albums of stage door pictures up on facebook so if anyone wants those links, pm me! Updated On: 9/12/08 at 12:39 AM

Greenwich Bruce Profile Photo
Greenwich Bruce
#180re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/12/08 at 4:51am

I watched Shrek again tonight. It is much improved! I don't know where the cut was made, but it's ten minutes shorter than Sunday night's show.

Donkey Kicks! He is making the part his own (sorry for the Paula Abdulism). I still think his costume needs an MAJOR overhaul; with special emphasis on redesigning that "hat" with the ridiculous side flaps which extend into faux dreadlocks. Chester and Brian are playing off & REACTING to each other very well. The whole cast seems to be having a great time. This was confirmed in a conversation with John Tartaglia after the show.

For those wondering about Christopher's knees, he said, "I'm not stupid. I've got lots of padding. The real problem is holding my back at a different angle." He mentioned daily yoga & massage.

Sutton is a real sweetheart who absolutely lights up the stage when she's singing and dancing. She & Brian were the only players who got applause when they appeared on stage. Chester & Christopher started with laughter. I still haven't figured out who plays the ogre/fiona with Donkey behind the "wall". I know it's not Sutton and occasionally, that person misses the timing to lip synching Sutton's first word of a sentence.

Brian's voice is more powerful than an ogre's fart - and that's a good thing. You have to feel for a guy who spends two hours getting his make-up on and another hour getting it off. All four of the leads have great voices.

Christopher Sieber absolutely steals any scene he's in. I only wish there was a way to resurrect him for "The Finale."

While some of the audience though he only played Pinocchio, I thought John Tartaglia was even better as The Magic Mirror, especially in the "bath tub" scene, aka, "The Ballad of Farquaad." His effort to hold his face, because Christopher is playing Tim Conway to John's Harvey Korman, thus trying to crack him up, is priceless.

Aside from donkey's costume, things I'd change are:
During the "Morning Person" dance sequence, just before Sutton starts singing again, the dancing reminded me a little of West Side Story's "America" dance with the very staccato beat. I'd have a few bars of M.P. sound more like WSS. When Kecia Lewis-Evans, in the shows best costume, walks across the stage for a :45 second song ("What Happens to Love"), the dragon is missing. When the dragon "eats" Lord Faquaad, it should at least bend down. What is the purpose of the skeletons in Donkey Pot Pie, and wouldn't Donkey Bisque or ANYTHING else be better than Pot Pie? Speaking of title changes, "The Wedding" should be Big Bright Beautiful World versions 2 & 3 and "Finale" should be "Happy Ending". The wire for Sutton microphone should be hidden under her braided ponytail wig. The front two "flaps" of her wig just are NOT working. The sun should be yellow not gold (or is it just my angle?).

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#181re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:36pm

Okay..I have not seen the show yet, but if Chester's role is not working, there is no doubt in my mind that that is NOT because of Chester!

Anyone who has seen him in Hairspray, Tarzan, or Cry-Baby, or in his solo shows, OR heard his CD, KNOWS that he gives 100% all the time, and has more energy and charisma than most anyone else in the casts I have seen him in. Your eyes and ears are DRAWN to him, he is THAT GOOD!

I am not ready to say its racism, because of course, I don't know that, and no one else here does either, but something is very very wrong with the premise of this show if they have Chester in a co-starring role and are under utilizing his significant talents.

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#182re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:44pm

Brian's voice is more powerful than an ogre's fart - and that's a good thing.

OK, I'm not usually one to find fart jokes funny, but THAT had me going for about 5 minutes. LOVE the comparison.

I'm so glad to hear that things are coming together. Thanks for the detailed reviews! re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 01:44 PM

antz
#183re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/13/08 at 3:48am

Saw it 9/11 and have to agree with Greenwich on all accounts. The cast is phenomenal. Sutton Foster is brilliant as Fiona. Didn't care for her in Thoroughly and hated her in Young Frankenstein (didn't like YF, but I digress), but her voice is wonderful in Shrek.

Chester is great as Donkey, in fact I wouldn't change a thing about his performance other than the costume really, really needs to be fixed. His performance is just as good as he was in Hairspray and Cry-Baby.

Lord Farquar is played perfectly by Christopher. A few visions of Spamalot, but in a good way.

The set works perfectly! It's grand, but not overwrought like Young Frankenstein. Loved the way it moved and transitioned and was well integrated with the story.

Costumes were fun too, but nothing too innovative! Loved the Dragon puppet/costume.

Having said all the great things about the show, the overall impact was still mediocre for me. I think this is due to the score.

It just doesn't measure up to the other cartoon musicals. It doesn't have the wonderful uplifting music of the Lion King, or the fun score of Beauty and the Beast (though the show was a little too much of a Disney Ride). The songs are fairly forgettable except for Big, Bright, Beautiful World - the only real keeper. The writing and lyrics are a little simplistic too. Unlike the movie which had running jokes for children and adults, Shrek falls short in playing to the adults in the crowd. It attempts to make fun of certain musicals, but doesn't succeed the way Spamalot did.

Nonetheless, it's not Tarzan and should fare better. It'll probably have a decent run in NY.

Oh and Greenwich, I don't think it's your angle. The sun looked like a flat metallic disc from my seat (Row L, center orch).

FMills
#184Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/16/08 at 4:51am

This week I saw “Little Dog Laughed” at Intiman, and Shrek the Musical at the 5th Avenue. Both were enjoyable shows for very different reasons.

First, Little Dog – make no mistake, this is essentially a very long sitcom onstage, but Douglas Carter Beane is a VERY funny writer – and even if the show doesn’t go as deep as the writer probably thinks, it’s worth the time and ticket price. For those who don’t know, the plot is about a hunky closeted Hollywood actor trying to maneuver his way through the system, and land a coveted role playing a gay character in the film version of a successful play. Beane gets a lot of mileage with the gay man pretending to be straight pretending to be gay thing, and Neal Bledsoe is very winning in the role. But the show really belongs to Christa Scott-Reed as the actor’s hilariously jaded agent. She gets the best lines and the best monologs, and Beane clearly adores writing for her. Quinlan Corbett manages to bring real heart and layers to the male prostitute, and Megan Hill does what she can with the underwritten “girlfriend” of the main character. Again, it’s a pretty slight play, but perfect summer-fare – snappy, sparkly with just a tiny bit of substance to hold you over. And Christa Scott-Reed is amazing.

And now Shrek. I was initially dubious of this project (another animated movie turned into a big Broadway musical – ugh!) and then I went to the 5th Avenue Spotlight Event a few months ago and heard the creators speak about it – and heard a few of the songs, and I started to come around. The Spotlight event showed a lot of promise. Well now, I’ve seen it – or this version of it at least – and I think if these folks get their act together, they could actually give Billy Elliott a run for its money. There are definitely things to fix, and places to tighten and change, but what works REALLY works. The show manages to stay true to the movie, while also reimagining and reinventing the story in what is a bona fide piece of musical theater.

From all reports, the creators are really digging in and making changes in front of the Seattle audiences. Of the four songs on the demo that I’ve been listening to, only I Know It’s Today remains untouched in the show. I Could Get Used to This and Wall have both been cut. And as of Saturday night, the latter half of Big Bright Beautiful World seems completely rewritten. It’s lighter and funnier. And Shrek now has a clearer point of view when he arrives on that swamp – essentially F.U. and your big bright beautiful world. I liked this number much more than the version on the demo. But the staging still needs some work. I like a jaw-dropping opening, and visually this one doesn’t do it. At least not yet.

Brian D’Arcy James, even under all that makeup, is pretty amazing as Shrek. Heartfelt, and funny – funnier than in the movie actually. It’s interesting that after watching the movie (however long ago) I remember Donkey being hilarious, and Shrek mostly being the straight man. Here I feel it’s oddly reversed. Shrek gets lots of laugh-lines, and Donkey isn’t nearly as funny as he should be. I think I blame Chester Gregory’s performance though. But James is perfectly cast, and gets what I think are the two best songs in the show. His “Who I’d Be” is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking theater songs I’ve heard in a long time. A lovely window in a cantankerous and closed-off soul. And I think a very brave and honest way to end the act – instead of the bombastic endings we’ve gotten used to. The only downside of the song is I fear I’m going to hear it WAY too often at cabarets. His other great song – “When Words Fail” is SO much better than Wall – which I really really disliked. Words Fail is funny and charming, and very much in character at that moment in the story. You love Shrek and root for him, and then his heart is broken.

Now back to Donkey - I know it’s difficult to compete with Eddie Murphy, but Chester Gregory is so low-key and sedate that it hurts the banter between those two characters. I don’t know if that’s a choice or an actor’s inability, but they need to slip that guy some uppers or something because he is not landing any of the comedy. His songs, however, are terrific. The boy can sing his butt off. His first song (Won’t Let You Go) is miles better than I Could Get Used to This, and does what a good theater song should – further plot and reveal character. And the lyrics are much funnier than in the other song. I only wish the actor could bring the kind of energy and confidence to the book scenes that he does to the songs. I suspect, though, that he’s just a limited actor. I saw him in both Tarzan and Hairspray, neither of which required much acting ability. He coasted on charm. But in Shrek he has to share a stage with James, Foster and Sieber, three genuinely gifted comedians and actors. Gregory, I’m sorry to say just isn’t up to their caliber. And some of the same stuff that was hilarious in Eddie Murphy’s hands, falls flat here in Gregory’s.

Sutton Foster – brilliant casting. She is funny funny funny, and a real musical theater star. Definitely a step up from the movie. Cameron Diaz is TERRIBLE in those movies. Sutton brings a real damaged kookiness to the role that makes it pop in amazing ways. You also feel like she’s a costar to Shrek, and not just the girl (which is what I felt in the movie.) Yes, she’s given much better material than in the movie, but she also brings so much to the role. Her Act Two opener, when she tap-dances with rats, is a real show-stopper. Her duet with Shrek – when they compete for unhappiest childhoods is classic, especially when it devolves into a burp and fart-off. So stupid and so very true to the source material, and somehow lovely at the same time.

Lord Farquaad – simply put – perfect. It’s the kind of role and the kind of performance that featured actor Tonys are made for. I know it’s early – but he should clear off his mantle. Hilarious performance. Two great comic numbers. And he does the whole thing on his knees. Don’t change a hair of Farquaad.

What to fix –

Donkey first and foremost. Get him some comedy classes or something.

Act One needs to be shorter.

The fairytale creatures are great, but introduce them and get on with it. (I love FREAK FLAG in the second act, but I think I’d love it even more if I saw less of them in the first act.)

The dragon – just not there yet. The actress does a valiant job, and sings like crazy, but that puppet just doesn’t work. Didn’t understand her reappearance in act 2 (without the puppet) and when the puppet DOES come back in the church – it looks dead. It just kind of hangs out in the window.

Fiona’s transformation – what’s the opposite of magical? She steps off stage, a couple minutes go by, and she steps back on in green makeup. All the money on this show, and that’s the best they could come up with? Better please.

That all said, these are VERY fixable before they get to New York. What DOES work is amazing. The cast is amazing (even the Donkey, while limited, isn’t terrible, and is terrific when he sings.) The songs are mostly wonderful – the music catchy and the lyrics are funny and emotional, without being glib and self-conscious. The book is tight and funny, but could be shorter. The choreography – what there is of it – is entertaining, if a bit generic. Duloc and the Morning Person are huge highlights in the show. The Dragon number needs some serious work though. The direction seems good, but they need to jazz up some of the staging. Maybe Mr. Ashford can help in that department. And the audience (the one I was with) seemed to eat the show up with a big ol’ spoon.

I’ve seen a lot of shows come through Seattle on their way to Broadway (not all of them made it there) but not since Hairspray have I felt this kind of potential. If they don’t fumble it – this could be VERY big.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#185Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:11pm

If you saw Chester Gregory in Hairspray and Tarzan and didn't feel he had energy or acting ability, you were looking at him totally differently that I was, that is for sure. What Chester brings to all his performances IS energy, and yes, charm, but he doesn't coast by any stretch. When he is on that stage, your eyes and ears are drawn to him, and there is something to be said for charisma, as well as acting ability. I can't speak to his acting in this particular role since I haven't seen it, but I do find it hard to believe that the same actor I saw in Cry-Baby, Tarzan, Hairspray, and in his concerts all of a sudden can't act, sorry.

thevolleyballer
#186Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:26pm

Yankeegal, I'm not out to make you admit that Chester Gregory is a bad actor -- because he is not -- but why is it so hard to believe that this kid just can't hold his own against Sieber/Foster/James? He has some of the show's BEST lines and he completely ruins them! The "brimstone" line is my favorite from the film, and he drops it horribly. Why is that so hard to believe?

Racism?

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#187Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:45pm

Huh? Racism?? What are you talking about?? What does race have to do with this discussion?

I think Chester is an excellent actor; I have seen him in other shows, and thought he brought great energy and a great performance to each of them. That's why I find it hard to believe; I can't even imagine him being bad.

Updated On: 9/17/08 at 11:45 PM

FMills
#188Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:04am

I didn't see Cry Baby, so maybe he had extensive book scenes in that show, I don't know. I'd love to know if he did. But I do know that he didn't have a lot of book stuff in Hairspray and Tarzan that required him to do much more than mug and be charming (which he's terrific at.) No disrespect to him, he's a charismatic performer, but in Shrek he's just not up to the task. He is the engine of several scenes, and the boy can not play an intention or land a joke to save his life. His timing is TERRIBLE. And believe me, the jokes are there. I know because I've heard Eddie Murphy deliver them. It's nice you're so loyal to him, but since you haven't seen the show, you know not of what you speak.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#189Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:20am

And I said that I haven't seen it, but am surprised at your assessment, did I not? Loyalty has nothing to do with it, racism has nothing to do with it, I am just surprised, based on MY experiences of seeing Chester perform, period.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#190Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:52am

Wow, are you me? I did see TLDL and Shrek last weekend. But I had a different take, so I guess you are not me Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle

I had a killer seat, row 3rd, center orchestra for Shrek and despite of such luck, I was underwhelmed by the show. As I wrote in another thread, I felt it was like a theme park musical, especially the dragon part was like totally an Universal Studio attraction.

First of all, the opening scene should be cut. Yes I know it's a back story of Shrek, but you don't need to spell out the cruelness in the beginning of a family musical, and since you already showed what an "orge" looks like in the opening scene, when Shrek comes out from the outback house, the effect is already minimized. Just start out from the scene already!

I know they are poking fun at themselves by injecting several musical spoof, but those are not funny and you can see them from miles away. "I think I got you beat" is half way decent until the fart and belch part. I cannot believe it. It's so juvenile. The tap dance for "Morning Person" is so out of place. It's like "we need a dancing scene for Sutton!" Basically all the big numbers were "forced."

I was so disappointed that there was no "escape from the dragon nest" scene. The breakout from the dungen was so easy, there's no meaning of a quest.

My friend asked me "so what is a flaw of this show?" and I said "the concept?" LOL No, it's rather, there is no room for imagination on the audience part. They replicated all the movie parts, but forgot the part that the audience needs really care about Shrek. Brian did well but I didn't feel any empathy for Shrek.

As others said, the transformation of Fiona at the wedding is so lame. I know it would take time to put greem make up on but they need to think of some magical thing.

tommigyrl5
#191Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 1:40am

I have defended Chester up and DOWN on this board and will continue to do so. Chester is clearly being directed to stand in the corner and imitate the inflection of Eddie Murphy. He didn't land this job because he does a killer eddie murphy imitation. If they wanted that, they should have hired Jaime FoXxx. But that is besides the point...

I think it is VERY disrespectful of you to constantly refer to Chester Gregory II as a kid or boy. I wont even get IN to the historical connotation of the usage of the term "boy" when referring to an african-american MAN...but you need to check yourself on that one.
Updated On: 9/17/08 at 01:40 AM

FMills
#192Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 3:31am

No need to educate me on the historical connotation of the word boy, Tommigyrl - I'm a 48 year old black man who grew up in Columbia, South Carolina. I think I have a pretty good working knowledge of what the word can mean. Mr. Gregory is a handsome young man, and yes, to an old coot like me, he's a boy. So was the kid playing the rabbit, and the one playing Peter Pan. Neither of whom are black. Sorry if that offends you. But the word boy can also be slang for young man, which is obviously what I meant. Shame on you for stirring the **** like that.

As for Mr. Gregory, I'm not sure how you know WHAT he's been directed to do - were you in the room? Everyone else seems to have been directed pretty well, I'm not sure why he'd be singled out for misdirection. But if he's "clearly being directed to stand in the corner and imitate the inflection of Eddie Murphy" then he is an even worse actor than I thought. Because he sounds and acts NOTHING like Eddie Murphy. Not that I'd ever recommend an imitation (everyone else in the show has very successfully made their roles their own without imitation) but Chester could learn a tremendous amount from studying the inflections of Mr. Murphy's performance. You don't have to imitate Eddie Murphy to land a joke. There is a basic cadence and rhythm to some of the lines that Chester seems completely deaf to. It's not rocket science.

nyc_chick02
#193Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 4:39am

NUMBER 1- Chester Gregory's material has changed the most out of everyone in the cast. Sutton and Sieber have had their same material for over a year now. When Gregory is performing he is given lines that he received that week, day or even night.

NUMBER 2- You must not know a single thing about Chester Gregory!!! He has a BA in Musical Theatre from Columbia College in Chicago. He has won awards for his performances: Jeff, AUDELCO, BTAA and Black Excellence Awards. HE IS AN ACTOR, HE IS QUALIFIED to be with this cast and in this play. Gregory has received a standing ovation from Michael Jackson, Phil Collins wrote a song just for Gregory while they were doing TARZAN.

NUMBER 3- BOY AND KID?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! ANYONE WHO HAS SEEN GREGORY KNOW HE IS NOT A KID OR A BOY. This is a GROWN MAN!!! Tommigyrl5 said she wasn't going to go there but honestly, we go from talking about how the two African American cast members are the ones that are the most underdeveloped then U go to calling Gregory a boy or a kid... RESPECT, learn it.... he is A MAN

Chester Gregory is one of the most talented stars on Broadway that i have seen. He is an inspiration to any and all who see him. When he performs he puts his heart and soul out onto that stage. It is seen visually and heard thru his amazingly talented voice. So if there is problem it is not with Gregory but with the directing, he is being told to hold back, he is being told not to steal the show which we all know he is completely capable of doing and would if they let him. Gregory is anything but a limited actor, look at his resume of accomplishments....and you have the courage to say that he isn't up for this role??? come on now...He has what it takes, he went to school that means he's studied and knows about acting. He has taught dancing so that means he can perform and of course his record IN SEARCH OF HIGH LOVE (which can be purchased at www.cdbaby.com or www.chestergregory.com) all shows that he has experience and is AN ACTOR!!!!!

Those who have seen Jackie Wilson, Hairspray, Tarzan and Crybaby know he has the comedic timing and knows that he has what it takes....

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#194Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 9:06am

Well said nyc_chick02 and tommygirl. The sad thing is that Chester even NEEDS defending and doesn't get the kudos he so deserves. He is a MAJOR talent, on stage and, as nyc_chick said, his CD is phenomenal, in the true sense of the word. I can understand if his role has not yet "jelled" -- we aren't even to previews yet, right? -- but to "blame" his performance on lack of ability or lack of acting talent makes no sense at all to me. You don't have to have seen THIS show to know that--is he not so great in Shrek? I don't know because I haven't seen it, but I DO know that if he is not, it's not for lack of energy or talent or ability as some have asserted, because I have seen evidence of all of those things in abundance in his prior performances on Broadway and in his solo shows.

FMills
#195Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:07pm

Thanks for the extensive bio. And all the excuses.

Bottom line is - he's not very good in this part.

That's just my opinion. Get over it.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#196Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:38pm

No one on here was disrespectful to you or your opinion, we just disagreed with you. Sorry that caused you to get defensive and just plain nasty. Nothing to get over, that is for sure.

notyourmomma
#197Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 2:45pm

Would you mother****ing ****punches shut the hell up already? This is worse than Pirate Queen fans!

FMills
#198Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 3:09pm

yankee -

I didn't think I was being especially defensive or nasty, I was simply trying to be matter of fact. I saw the show, and thought the guy was miscast. You disagree (even though, as you've said, you haven't actually seen the show.) Other people started dragging out Mr. Gregory's extensive accomplishments (talk about defensive) as if they had anything to do with the middling performance I saw on Saturday night.

NYChick says that his material is changing more than anyone else's, I don't know if that's true or not. And unless NYCchick is involved with the show (sounds like maybe he/she is) then I'm not sure how he/she would know either. But Mr. Gregory has a couple scenes that are lifted directly from the movie - so it's not as if THOSE scenes have been radically altered - and guess what - he's not very good in those scenes either.

As for the idea that Mr. Gregory is being directed to not steal the show - come on. Seriously? What possible purpose would that serve? Mr. Sieber obviously didn't get that directive. I'm sure any and all involved with Shrek would relish actors fighting for the title of show-stealer. The assertion that Mr. Gregory is being told to hang back and not be too funny lest he steal the show is patently absurd.

I honestly mean no disrespect to Mr. Gregory. I wish him well, and hope he gets better in the role. I HAVE liked him in the past, and think he's a wonderful performer in the right role. But being a great performer and being a great actor are two very different things. Selling a Phil Collins song charismatically and going toe to toe with Brian D'Arcy James in a book scene, are two VERY different tasks. My opinion is that Mr. Gregory excels at one, and isn't up to the other. Great performers aren't always great actors, no matter what school they've gone to.

Look, even Pia Zadora has her fans. The fact that she's won a Golden Globe doesn't make her Meryl Streep.
Updated On: 9/17/08 at 03:09 PM

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#199Shrek and Little Dog Laughed in Seattle
Posted: 9/17/08 at 4:04pm

Okay FMills. Thanks for taking the time to clarify your thoughts. As I said before, I am not disagreeing with you since I have not seen the show, but I do find it hard to imagine Chester being anything but stellar. I have no doubt that once this gets through the Seattle run, then previews in NY, he will not disappoint, no doubt whatsoever.

Peace?

Videos