pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 8

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Musical Director 109
#175re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 7:16am

I didn't like "Billy Elliot". The score is unmemorable. Beside the great choreography, I didn't get the point!!
I'm not a huge fan of "Wicked", but it should have been Best Musical over "Avenue Q".
I like Andrew Lloyd Webber's music
I liked "9 to 5"

mryuk55
#176re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 8:51am

I LOATHE Spring Awakening. The cast was clueless and the choreography was obnoxious (as were the 14 year olds they pulled from some awful community theatre)

I also would rather gauge out my ear drums and eyeballs than listen to or look at Adam Lambert.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#177re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 10:24am

The 2002 & 2004 Tony Awards pissed me off so much that I have no interest in the awards whatsoever anymore. Millie winning over the most original musical in years, Urinetown was a disgrace as was Ave Q taking the award over Caroline, or Change. To me, it proved the Tony voters don't actually care about the quality of what they give the award to. And it still holds true today - Spamalot, Jersey Boys etc.

tis_be_sarah Profile Photo
tis_be_sarah
#178re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 11:07am

Also, Wicked was fantastic and i loved every minute of it, but its not the Messiah of musicals. There ARE better shows out there.

A million hearts beat quicker there, a million lights they flicker there. No clouds of grey on that great white way, thats the Broadway Melody!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#179re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 11:15am

I didn't like Next to Normal.

Timmer
#180re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 11:19am

Sondheim hasn't written anything really good since A Little Night Music and Follies.

Mood_Indigo
#181re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 12:08pm

I honestly don't mind Disney musicals on Broadway. I think they are a great introduction for small kids into musical theater.

I like Cosette.

[quote]Sondheim hasn't written anything really good since A Little Night Music and Follies.[/quote]

I know we aren't supposed to criticize but, really?

Pacific Overtures?
Sweeney Todd?
Merrily We Roll Along?
Sunday in the Park with George?
Into the Woods?
Assassins?

You honestly don't consider any of those good?

AndAllThatJazz22
#182re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 12:33pm

As far as unpopular opinions:

Sunday in the Park With George is boring.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 5/2/09 at 12:33 PM

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#183re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:26am

I think its hypocritical that when Sondheim takes a melody from the past people says its ok because it is called a pastiche and when anyone else does its they cry out that the author is sealing.
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 10:26 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#184re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 11:16am

I loved Billy Elliot in London and walked out assuming it would win the Tony for Best Musical.

I hated Spring Awakening.

I don't believe people who enjoy Rock of Ages are the dregs of the earth.

I don't believe shows with more original material are automatically better or superior than shows with adapted material, especially when it is proven otherwise both critically (based on artistic opinion) and financially (based on popular opinion).

I don't automatically love everything Sondheim has ever written.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#185re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 12:12pm

While I find its music charming and I have seen it performed incredibly well, I actually do not care for South Pacific as a show. It runs at least 30 minutes too long.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#186re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:44pm

Since the show seems to come up or be referenced at LEAST once a day - I absolutely cannot STAND the show "30 Rock" and feel that way about most of its cast members, with Alec Baldwin a salient exception.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#187re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:31pm

Since Rudy2 brought up "30 Rock" - I hate that show and I have never found Tina Fey particularly funny.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#188re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:40pm

^ It's good to know you're not alone. :)

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#189re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:21pm

I'll join that party! ^

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

janice4
#190re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 8:24pm

I thought Spring Awakening was horrid. I can't believe it got any nominations for Choreography. I totally can't understand the animous toward Shrek, which I think has a terrific message. I liked Les Mis. I think Wicked is terribly over-rated, but from what I've been reading, maybe it's not really an unpopular opinion.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#191re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 8:44pm

I love PASSION (well, the story and the lyrics), but sometimes the songs come off a bit sing-songy, as if the actors are making up the tune as they go along.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#192re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 8:48pm

I think it's ok to touch yourself in church.

....but the world goes 'round

AndAllThatJazz22
#193re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:23pm

The Cabaret movie was a terrible adaption.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#194re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:28pm

I think N2N's score is boring.

SporkGoddess
#195re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:29pm

I hate 30 Rock, too! I also do not find Tina Fey funny.

I also hate Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane, which seems pretty unpopular on this forum, though not in real life.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#196re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:35pm

I also cannot abide by "Family Guy," at all. And I am a "Simpsons" and "Futurama" addict.

Janice, I know we're not supposed to criticize, but don't you think the message of Shrek is a little hypocritical? The message seems to be that - - Everyone deserves the chance to feel special and beautiful, no matter how they look...unless, of course, they're "shorties." Then they're probably bound to become tyrannical rulers. It just perpetuates the Napoleonic stereotype. Everyone is virtuous except the little dude.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#197re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/12/09 at 12:21am

Since this is the unpopular opinion on this page of the thread: I LOVE 30 ROCK

janice4
#198re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:07am

Rudy2, I'm sure you meant that as tongue in cheek, but if you haven't noticed, some of the "others" are also vertically challenged. There are dwarfs, hobbits, etc. The lovely message goes for all.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#199re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:26am

I think Alexyss Tyler is the Messiah.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos