#2076Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/27/22 at 9:56pm

JasonC3 said: "Starts playing March 2 on HBO Max"

Disney+ and HBO Max

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread

Wayman_Wong
#2077Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/28/22 at 8:03pm

Ariana DeBose made history Sunday night as the first Latina to win a Screen Actors Guild film award. Her Supporting Actress victory for ''West Side Story'' also marks a first for a queer woman of color at the SAG Awards. 

Backstage, DeBose said: “The legacy of Anita means a great deal to me, for many different reasons. I’m a Broadway girl at heart. We speak so frequently about Rita Moreno, as we should, she’s legendary. But the OG Anita on stage is Chita Rivera, and I have looked up to Chita for such a long time. She [paved the] way for me on the stage for me to be able to do what I do in that facet of the industry. So, to be able to be a part of the legacy of Anita that includes both Chita and Rita—and now Ariana— it’s really special to me. And we’re all very different types of Latinas, that’s beautiful and important too. There’s no one way to be Latina or Hispanic. There are many beautiful ways. I think each one of us is a testament to that.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zn5cpz6D1Y

Updated On: 2/28/22 at 08:03 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2078Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 10:25am

For anyone interested, and with compatible equipment, it's in regular HD on HBO Max, and 4K HDR/Dolby Vision on Disney +. Comparing the two, it's noticeably sharper, with visible fine film grain on Disney, and, in my opinion, the colors are more accurate (and muted) in Dolby Vision. It also looks great on HBO, but smoother, with less fine detail, and the colors are more vibrant. Either way, excited to be able to watch whenever I want now!

Updated On: 3/2/22 at 10:25 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#2079Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:03am

After watching the ending again- it’s not the MOST horrible. It’s just very fast and not nearly as emotionally rich as the original.

I think the one thing that stood out this time in the end is Valentina gently turning Chino in. That is interesting.

Chino has a really tragic arc. It’s just a shame Spielberg directed Rachel’s moments so poorly at the end. Also why put the score under her monologue? The music goes silent in that moment and it’s all the better for it usually

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2080Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:08am

The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray.  They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage.  

Theatre Fan3
#2081Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:12am

BrodyFosse123 said: "The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray. They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage."

I thought the Blu-ray didn't come out until March 15th ... how have you seen this already?  Just curious.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2082Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:24am

Theatre Fan3 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray. They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage."

I thought the Blu-ray didn't come out until March 15th ... how have you seen this already? Just curious.
"

That’s the general release date but the press/media was sent the Blu-ray weeks ago in order to review it in advance.  I’m fortunate to “know people.”

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2083Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:33am

BrodyFosse123 said: "The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray. They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage."

Also of note in the featurette focusing on the finale they show (very briefly) a very different take when Rachel says the line "I hate now" which IMO sounded much more impactful/forceful than the take that made the finished cut. 

CarlosAlberto
#2084Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:34am

Theatre Fan3 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray. They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage."

I thought the Blu-ray didn't come out until March 15th ... how have you seen this already? Just curious.

The special features are also included on the digital copies that were released for purchase today on VUDU/Fandango, iTunes, Movies Anywhere, etc. 

Updated On: 3/2/22 at 11:34 AM

Theatre Fan3
#2085Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:55am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Theatre Fan3 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "The finale of the film is covered extensively on the fantastic The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY feature on the Blu-ray. They also go into why they didn’t have her sing “Somewhere.” Spoiler: the scene was shot on location in Paterson, NJ and not on a soundstage."

"

That’s the general release date but the press/media was sent the Blu-ray weeks ago in order to review it in advance. I’m fortunate to “know people.”

Ah, that's nice.  I'm really looking forward to getting my copy on the 15th.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2086Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 11:55pm

HOW DID SPIELBERG MAKE IT BETTER THAN IT ONCE WAS?

Simply blown away after watching all the way through on Disney+. Choreography is perfect, direction spot-on, and new screenplay brilliant. West Side Story is more than a remake - it is a love letter to both Bernstein and Sondheim, with so much exceptional Broadway talent involved I could pass out. Man, 2021 was quite the year for the movie musical.

The cast fires on all cylinders. Elgort and Zegler make a heartbreaking couple, and DeBose is DYNAMITE as per usual. The Supporting Actress Oscar is hers. Moreno’s Valentina is a touching new addition. 
Kushner didn’t necessarily have to Valjean-ize Tony, but at least it gives him a reason to be skeptical of fighting. Fresh out of prison, I could see the promise in Tony’s eyes as he was trying to start anew - which only makes the ending even more melancholy… and more effective. 

The new locales for some of the musical numbers were some of the best choices of this film. A loving tribute to Leonard and Stephen, as mentioned above. 

Mandatory viewing for all. Don’t miss this one!

Oh look, a bibu!

Theatre Fan3
#2087Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 12:06am

EDSOSLO858 said: "HOW DID SPIELBERG MAKE IT BETTER THAN IT ONCE WAS?

Simply blown away after watching all the way through on Disney+. Choreography is perfect, direction spot-on, and new screenplay brilliant.West Side Storyis more than a remake - it is a love letter to both Bernstein and Sondheim, with so much exceptional Broadway talent involved I could pass out. Man, 2021 was quite the year for the movie musical.

The cast fires on all cylinders. Elgort and Zegler make a heartbreaking couple, and DeBose is DYNAMITE as per usual. The Supporting Actress Oscar is hers. Moreno’s Valentina is a touching new addition.
Kushner didn’t necessarily have to Valjean-ize Tony, but at least it gives him a reason to be skeptical of fighting. Fresh out of prison, I could see the promise in Tony’s eyes as he was trying to start anew - which only makes the ending even more melancholy… and more effective.

The new locales for some of the musical numbers were some of the best choices of this film. A loving tribute to Leonard and Stephen, as mentioned above.

"

From the sounds of your post I take it that you had not seen it in a theatre before watching it on Disney+ ...  that's a shame ... if this is your reaction from watching it on streaming imagine what it was like watching it in IMAX.  smiley

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2088Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 12:11am

Theatre Fan3 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "HOW DID SPIELBERG MAKE IT BETTER THAN IT ONCE WAS?

Simply blown away after watching all the way through on Disney+. Choreography is perfect, direction spot-on, and new screenplay brilliant.West Side Storyis more than a remake - it is a love letter to both Bernstein and Sondheim, with so much exceptional Broadway talent involved I could pass out. Man, 2021 was quite the year for the movie musical.

"

From the sounds of your post I take it that you had not seen it in a theatre before watching it on Disney+ ... that's a shame ... if this is your reaction from watching it on streaming imagine what it was like watching it in IMAX. smiley
"

I can only imagine how thrilling it was in IMAX. 

It’s just a shame this doesn’t have a shot at bringing home Best Picture (as much as I enjoyed The Power of the Dog in its own way). The entire cast and crew deserve it and so much more.

Oh look, a bibu!

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2089Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 11:14am

Saw it again on Disney+ and it is just as great as I saw it the first two times. After seeing the bonus feature on the ending, I kind of prefer the final version because I appreciate that Rachel was going for a quiet rage in her "I hate now" line. To me it gave me the chills.

CarlosAlberto
#2090Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 12:30pm

A lot positive feedback for the film for those who did not see it in theaters and are finally getting to via Disney+, HBOmax, etc. and expressing that they wished they had seen it in theaters.

TaffyDavenport
#2091Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 7:03pm

Mike Faist is trending on Twitter, finally.

Dollypop
#2092Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 7:50pm

CarlosAlberto said: "A lot positive feedback for the film for those who did not see it in theaters and are finally getting to via Disney+, HBOmax, etc. and expressing that they wished they had seen it in theaters."

It's still playing in theaters

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

TaffyDavenport
#2093Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/5/22 at 2:04pm

The special features can be found under this account on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CineramaMag/videos

TarHeelAlan
#2095Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/5/22 at 2:38pm

Interesting forty minute discussion with Spielberg, producer Kristie Macosko Krieger, Rita Moreno, Ariana DeBose, and Tony Kushner, produced by the Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-videos/steven-spielberg-west-side-story-ariana-debose-1235099329/

CarlosAlberto
#2096Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/5/22 at 2:40pm

Dollypop said: "CarlosAlberto said: "A lot positive feedback for the film for those who did not see it in theaters and are finally getting to via Disney+, HBOmax, etc. and expressing that they wished they had seen it in theaters."

It's still playing in theaters

Nowhere in my post did I write that it wasn't playing in theaters. But thank you for notifying me? 

CarlosAlberto
MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#2098Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/5/22 at 2:56pm

Loved the film, but as talented as Faist is, I never believed he was the leader of an NYC gang. An extremely talented cast and wonderful choreography and Rita Moreno just elevated the story. So well done!!

Be Kind
Updated On: 3/5/22 at 02:56 PM

WestEndGal
#2099Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/6/22 at 6:02am

It’s a really great movie. I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t been an awards and Oscars frontrunner - it’s a shame that it was released during the omicron wave and it’s perception as a box office “flop” has seemingly harmed the movie’s chances, especially when 90% of awards movies these days are obscure and watched by hardly anyone! 

I thought Ariana de Bose and Mike Faust were the standouts but all the casting is great tbh. For her first movie Rachel Zegler was wonderful, and I thought she and Ansel shared a nice chemistry.

The direction and cinematography was just outstanding too. The choreography could maybe have been a bit more exciting but it worked.

My only real disappointment, like others have said, was how rushed it all felt at the end, and it definitely detrimentally affected the emotional heft of the tragic ending. Feels like they crammed 15 mins into just 5 mins, and it could have done with some more flesh at the end. The movie didn’t feel overly long. 

Videos