pixeltracker

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Reviews- Page 9

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Reviews

CJRochester
#200THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:59pm

I saw this yesterday and posted this review. 

“The Heart of Rock and Roll” is a new jukebox musical based on the songs of Huey Lewis and The News. Like most jukebox shows, the story is very lame, just an excuse to perform these songs.

Huey Lewis was big in the 1980s, which is when the show is set. It inspires nostalgia for Baby Boomers and Gen X, with big hair, leotards, and even an appearance by Richard Simmons. The dancing is great, and the choreography is very original, including a tap dance number on bubble wrap. Lead actor Corey Cott is wonderful (Jeremy Jordan move over). Corey’s muscular arms are a show all by themselves.

Despite many cringe worthy moments, I came away quite entertained. The audience seemed to be having a great time. Although it hasn't been a hit on Broadway, I think it would do well in theme parks, cruise ships, or Vegas. This will be a good show for high schools to do in a few more years.

The newly remodeled James Earl Jones Theatre is very nice, and a welcome improvement over the former Cort. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#201THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 8:29pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Wasnt asking rudely or implying anything, was just how I read the post and asked about it. Nothing more and nothing less."

i read it the same way as Jordan: theres no problematic sex stuff except one reference to the other team. I dont find it offensive if someone thinks same-sex one-liners are not appropriate for children--to each their own-- but that is how i understood the point made below. 

that said, the show is painfully predictable but it has all the fun bells and whistles that a child new to theater would enjoy. definitely should be OK for kids

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#202THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 4:29pm

I saw this last night- I had been given these tickets weeks ago, and I wasn’t very optimistic about the show being open but I’m glad it was!

The show is a himbo of a musical - simple, sweet, fun to be around. I think it could definitely be shortened quite a bit and it shares the common flaw of modern musical comedies of becoming too earnest in its second act.  But it’s slick and engaging, often quite funny, with a charming cast that sells the **** out of every moment. Corey Cott’s body is… really something else, as well.

Worth noting that I saw the understudy for Cassandra, Taylor Marie Daniel, and she was phenomenal. Hilarious with perfect comic timing and a powerhouse voice. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Zeppie2022
#203THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:10pm

"The show is a himbo of a musical - simple, sweet, fun to be around. I think it could definitely be shortened quite a bit and it shares the common flaw of modern musical comedies of becoming too earnest in its second act. But it’s slick and engaging, often quite funny, with a charming cast that sells the **** out of every moment. Corey Cott’s body is… really something else, as well."

I really enjoyed this show and glad you liked it also. I am curious Kad, have you ever mentioned and complimented a female's body in a review of a show? I have mentioned this before on BWW but it amazes me that a bunch of you act like you have never seen a "buff" guy in a gym that works out. I can only imagine the name calling if somebody in reviewing a show said the lead actress in the show had a body that was something else. I wonder the reaction to somebody saying an actress certain body part should get Tony nomination like a few people said about Cott's arms. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#204THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:14pm

If a production has made a conscious decision to highlight the bodies of its performers, I think it’s entirely fair to comment on. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Zeppie2022
#205THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:16pm

"Lead actor Corey Cott is wonderful (Jeremy Jordan move over). Corey’s muscular arms are a show all by themselves."

I have seen Corey Cott in "Newsies", "Bandstand" and "Heart Of Rock And Roll" and IMO he has been terrific in all three. It is a shame two of the shows he has been in will not run long and he did not get Tony nominations for his excellent performances. I find all these comments about his body pretty juvenile from supposedly grown adults.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#206THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:17pm

The show has a promo video of Corey Cott reading thirst trap comments about his body even referring to it as “The Hard On Rock and Roll” and talking about biting his muscles. I think the comments made here are fine. 

Zeppie2022
#207THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:22pm

"If a production has made a conscious decision to highlight the bodies of its performers, I think it’s entirely fair to comment on."

Actually what he wore was the kind of outfits rock stars wear. Ever see what Springsteen wore in the 80's, very similar. In other words, not a conscious decision but accurate portrayal. You did not answer my question, would you have made similar comment about female performer? I am sure you have seen shows where they made conscious decision to highlight their bodies. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YvTkBXT3rU

Updated On: 6/14/24 at 06:22 PM

Zeppie2022
#208THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:30pm

"The show has a promo video of Corey Cott reading thirst trap comments about his body even referring to it as “The Hard On Rock and Roll” and talking about biting his muscles. I think the comments made here are fine. "

As I said to Kad, would you make similar comment about female actress in costume that shows off her body? Jordan, would you say on this board a female performer had "body part" that should get Tony nomination? Waiting for your answer.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#209THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 6:38pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""If a production has made a conscious decision to highlight the bodies of its performers, I think it’s entirely fair to comment on."

Actually what he wore was the kind of outfits rock stars wear. Ever see what Springsteen wore in the 80's, very similar. In other words, not a conscious decision but accurate portrayal. You did not answer my question, would you have made similar comment about female performer? I am sure you have seen shows where they made conscious decision to highlight their bodies. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YvTkBXT3rU
"

Well, his body is not historically accurate to the time period- for an average working class straight guy, at least- and nothing in the show requires the character to be absolutely shredded (and the transition into the sauna scene also involves another jacked ensemble member deliberately showing off to the audience- so, sorry, there is clearly a choice happening here). 

I did not answer your question because it seems like a bad faith gotcha question. I’ve certainly noted the beauty of female performers but at the end of the day, I’m a Kinsey 6. There is a vast difference between commenting positively on somebody’s body and being lewd or lecherous about it, and the context in which it happens is important (a boss shouldn’t do it to one of their subordinates, and I wouldn’t cat call a stranger). 

Zeppie2022
#210THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 7:23pm

"I did not answer your question because it seems like a bad faith gotcha question. I’ve certainly noted the beauty of female performers but at the end of the day, I’m a Kinsey 6. There is a vast difference between commenting positively on somebody’s body and being lewd or lecherous about it, and the context in which it happens is important (a boss shouldn’t do it to one of their subordinates, and I wouldn’t cat call a stranger). "

Not a bad faith or gotcha question. You answered it, see it was not that hard. I was just curious why you felt Cott's physique added value to your short review, did not seem important thing to mention about the show IMO. I have to admit, I would love to see how you worded the beauty of female performers.

"Well, his body is not historically accurate to the time period- for an average working class straight guy, at least-"

Really. You don't think lots of average guys worked out in gym and lifted weights in the 80's - wow. 

"nothing in the show requires the character to be absolutely shredded (and the transition into the sauna scene also involves another jacked ensemble member deliberately showing off to the audience- so, sorry, there is clearly a choice happening here). "

No it was not required to have character "shredded"  but once again it was very typical for bunch of lead singers in the 80's. A  Broadway show having attractive performer in the ensemble is just shocking -lmao. I am sure the audience leaving the show are going to be talking about that "jacked" ensemble member.

Ok, I have beaten my point to death. Have a good evening.

MezzoDiva47
#211THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/14/24 at 11:24pm

BETTY22 said: "theaterdude2 said: "is the famous sauna scene stage left or right? which is best place to sit?!"

Center stage - this director knows what he is doing....WINK

sure he does

but you are missing the letter T

bwayobsessed
#212THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:40pm

MezzoDiva47 said: "BETTY22 said: "theaterdude2 said: "is the famous sauna scene stage left or right? which is best place to sit?!"

sure he does

"

I think its more like replacing WI with HU but anyways why I came here...

Listening to the cast album makes me remember how fun this show was and makes me more aggravated that it got completely got shut out for awards when some way more mediocre show got a ton of noms (looking at you W4E and HK) 

Phillyguy
#213THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/16/24 at 6:01pm

bwayobsessed said: "MezzoDiva47 said: "BETTY22 said: "theaterdude2 said: "is the famous sauna scene stage left or right? which is best place to sit?!"

sure he does

"

I think its more like replacing WI with HU but anyways why I came here...

Listening to the cast album makes me remember how fun this show was and makes me more aggravated that it got completely got shut out for awards when some way more mediocre show got a ton of noms (looking at you W4E and HK)
"

I agree with you that it’s a shame it didn’t get any nominations. I really like the show. But to call HK more mediocre, you are losing credibility here. 

bwayobsessed
#214THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/16/24 at 6:30pm

"Listening to the cast album makes me remember how fun this show was and makes me more aggravated that it got completely got shut out for awards when some way more mediocre show got a ton of noms (looking at you W4E and HK)"

I agree with you that it’s a shame it didn’t get any nominations. I really like the show. But to call HK more mediocre, you are losing credibility here.
"

I mean I enjoyed Heart of Rock & Roll more and would sooner see it again than HK. I'm not calling Heart of Rock & Roll high art or anything

MezzoDiva47
#215THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:54pm

bwayobsessed said: "MezzoDiva47 said: "BETTY22 said: "theaterdude2 said: "is the famous sauna scene stage left or right? which is best place to sit?!"

sure he does

"

I think its more like replacing WI with HU

iykyk

Mr.Liir
#216THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:09am

If anyone is putting off seeing this show... don't. 

hearthemsing22
#217THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:11am

Mr.Liir said: "If anyone is putting off seeing this show... don't."

:( When are we getting a closing announcement?

stagepotato
#218THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:12am

hearthemsing22 said: "Mr.Liir said: "If anyone is putting off seeing this show... don't."

"

Based on a few posts last week, I think the cast was already informed of a date. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#219THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:15am

I was told a few weeks ago that it was imminent but then… nothing so I’m not sure what happened there. Maybe they were hoping to be able to perform on the telecast last night to drum up interest? 

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#220THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:24am

I am going on Tues June 25 so hope it makes it past this week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#221THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:27am

hearthemsing22 said: "Mr.Liir said: "If anyone is putting off seeing this show... don't."

"

The cast has been active on their socials about saying "see the show now". 

It's still dumbfounding that the show is running somehow. Hopefully everyone involved is still getting their paychecks.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr.Liir
#222THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:30am

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 11:30 AM

hearthemsing22
#223THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:34am

Mr.Liir said: "See it sooner if you can."

Makes me think they'll announce a closing today or tomorrow for this Sunday unfortunately 

stagepotato
#224THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/17/24 at 11:37am

hearthemsing22 said: "Mr.Liir said: "See it sooner if you can."

Makes me think they'll announce a closing today or tomorrow for this Sunday unfortunately
"

There was a “savoring every moment” story the other day which leads me to believe the closing is happening soon unfortunately. 

Videos