pixeltracker

Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder- Page 9

Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#200re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:30am

art2 you make me embarrassed to be a gay man.
But that's the difference between us isn't it.....your whole self image is defined by being gay, mine is not.....it is simply my sexual orientation.
Long before I am gay, I am a man, a brother, a son, a co-worker, a musician, a writer, a salesman, a librarian, a patron of the arts, a traveler, a friend, a partner, and somewhere, very near the bottom I am gay..........
I would really hate to have put myself, as you have, into a little tiny box where "being gay" is my entire life.
I truly feel sorry for you, because I can see you sitting there hating, and whining about everyone simply because YOU think they are homophobic........GROW UP!
What it REALLY sounds like is you do not accept or love yourself........and rather than deal with that, you pull your little broken-record, whining crap.......

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

musicnmath
MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#202re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:36am

I just don't really see how art thinks coming here and to other message boards and constantly posting the same thing over and over again is doing anything good for the gay community (if he really believes that it does).

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#203re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:44am

Beautifully said, Elphaba!!!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Bdwyguy30 Profile Photo
Bdwyguy30
#204re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:44am

That is not true. PLEASE do not judge this movie in that way without having seen it first hand. I saw it a week ago at the private screening and to be perfectly honest Angel and Collins relationship in the film is the heart and soul of the movie it is very well done and represented. And extremely romantic (I'll Cover You and reprise) It is represented extremely well.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#205re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:45am

Part of the conspirarcy theorist in me believes Art2 is a homophobe posing as a gay man just to stir things up and make the gay community look either foolish or extreme.

Elphaba - that was a great post.

Patronus - I have been looking for the license plate, but alas, have not seen it since you mentioned it.

Have a great day all.

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#207re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 10:55am

YWIW?- I have those same conspiratorial thoughts, I think I may have brought that up in one of the other threads. I think he is trying to get gay rights activists and liberals to refuse to see the movie so conservatives can say, "that gay movie failed."

Bdwyguy, I think Art is in a distinct minority on this one, those who wish to see the movie still will. And we will form our own conclusions based on "facts."

Patronus- I so love the I *heart* Art2 plate, I think I need one.

Art2- I never realized that movie directors were the worlds most homophobic people, I must inform the Bapist Minister in my Georgia hometown about that, he must redouble his hatred standards in order to reach the bigotry of "Hollywood," the crazy old man may collapse on the spot.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#208re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 12:50pm

So..."directors are terrified of showing an erotic male-male interaction"

That's what you want?

"It's not that kind of movie, honey"

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#209re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 12:54pm

Not only has this thread been making my day better, but JerseyGirl, you just made me spill coffee on my desk.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#210re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 12:56pm

Jersey Girl, you are just showing your "libido liberal" bias once again.

ETA: I just realized my comment could be taken seriously. It is a joke, I know JG is not a "libido liberal" she is just a libido.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Updated On: 11/4/05 at 12:56 PM

YouWantitWhen????
#211re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:13pm

JerseyGirl - you hit the nail on the head why we are all so willing at this point to ignore Art2 and go on and talk about far more interesting topics.

His agenda does not match the base product of this film - he wants it to be something that it never was.

I wonder of Art2 has ever seen Rent live?

Who knows? BTW - am passing out virtual Alleve after last night's red wine binge.

JerseyGirl2
#212re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:22pm

I started to follow it with "This board is FULL of MuthaF**kin' Arts...Hey Art, you gotta dollar?"

But I assumed he wouldn't get it.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Updated On: 11/4/05 at 01:22 PM

YouWantitWhen????
#213re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:25pm

No you made me openly laugh!

I better not drink my coffee near my keyboard today!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#214re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:30pm

Hehe Wax Lion is awesome.

musicnmath, that's for posting about that Brazil situation. It was definitely interesting. And now maybe art2 can go start harrassing them. How do you say "libido liberal" in Portuguese?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#215re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:48pm

every now and then I come up with a great post, and then dear waxlion comes along and upstages me, lol......great post lion!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

YouWantitWhen????
#216re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 1:59pm

Elphaba -

I think it is a physical impossibility to ever upstage you - (this is said as a compliment - in case it does not come over clearly in the virtual world).

I have laughed out loud, spewed many a beverage or scratched my head and gone "hmmmmm" after many of your posts.

But, I gotta admit, Wax Lion, that was a pretty good one.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#217re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 2:15pm

Elphaba, I loved your post too! I'm sorry I forgot to give you props in my first post, but that sign does stick out a bit more than your eloquently-worded reasoning (which was unfortunately probably wasted on the brick wall that is art2, but everyone else appreciates it, I'm sure).

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#218re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 3:13pm

Hehe. Nice sign, Wax Lion. Quite similar to one I snapped outside of Kensington Palace when I visited England last year:

re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder

*applauds Elphaba*

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

JerseyGirl2
#219re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 3:31pm

I like this one:
re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder

art2
#220re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:16pm

I am one of the fairest and most open-minded people about. I simply want fair and equitable treatment of the gay male relationship in RENT, both in the content and the style. The RENT trailers and poster quite disgustingly minimized the gay male relationship, simple as that. It's not an exercise in rocket science analysis to be able to see that. At the bare minimum, Sony stands accused.

Stage Addict Profile Photo
Stage Addict
#221re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:22pm

Wow...I log in and see over 200 posts about this...Chances are, Art 2 is just a 13 year old girl at home on friday night having fun messing with all of you.

but continue if you like. this is amusing.

"If you're a writer or a painter, you write or paint whenever you want to. But we have to do this task at a precise moment. At three minutes past eight, the curtain goes up, and you've got to pretend to believe, because no one else will believe you unless you believe it yourself. A great deal of our work is simply making ourselves dream. That is the task. At three minutes past eight,YOU MUST DREAM."

BWLVER34 Profile Photo
BWLVER34
#222re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder

Didn't the poster have Joanne and Maureen together?

YouWantitWhen????
#223re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder

Art - if the movie has the same treatment as the live show, will you be satisfied? Because most of us believe that the live show did not have the same physicality between the two gay men as with other couples.

The issue is whether or not you want them to be true to the original story as it was presented, or modify it to meet your agenda. If you have issues with the original musical, then that is one issue. To have an issue with the film if it does not magnify that relationship, that is something entirely different.

As I mentioned before, the original BW posters do not show a gay male relationship. Why then should the movie posters?

EDIT: The original poster from Broadway did not have Maureen and Joann together. Some of the posters for the movie do.

Updated On: 11/4/05 at 06:22 PM

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#224re: Sony and Columbus appear to have put RENT through the anti-gay shredder
Posted: 11/4/05 at 8:18pm

Oh, YWIW????, don't you know about the huge CONSPIRACY? Everyone in the arts is so homophobic, especially on Broadway, that it's obvious that everything out of Hollywood and Broadway is going to be part of the giant plan to disenfranchise the gay community. Rent is the biggest offender of these.

Oh...wait...that doesn't sound right...

hehe, I love those pics you guys posted...I was away for far too long. Even WAX LION decided to do a little jab :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Videos