pixeltracker

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?- Page 9

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#200re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:33pm

Meryl Streep is Meryl Streep she doesn't have to audition, especially for her good friend Sondheim. Wasn't she attached to it around the time they were courting her for MAMMA MIA? I believe someone told me that she had scheduling conflicts that she wasn't so interested in figuring out because there was another musical she was interested in being a part of. But who knows?
Either way, Winslet is the most ideal candidate for Desiree along with Laura Linney. I have no interest in seeing Clark in this production nor Cerveris. I agree, Cerveris is in everything and it has become tiresome, predictable and annoying.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#201re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:35pm

wickedfan - if we are going to go down the list of times CHICAGO was ALMOST made and who ALMOST starred in it, we will be here all day.

Theron was only a possibility in the Hytner/Gelbart/Wasserstein collaboration that, thank the theater gods, never got off the ground. The script is... not good.

Winslet. Winslet. Winslet! Clear that mantle to bookend your Oscar with a Tony, Kate!

P

P.S. Ray is right. Meryl doesn't audition (and probably wouldn't have to for Steve) but was most interested in doing a musical COMEDY before a musical DRAMA. Now Mike Nichols is all over town trying to get a Streep GYPSY made, and as much as the idea entices me, I don't think it really is the best idea given what Meryl and Nichols are capable of (PHYLLIS, PHYLLIS, PHYLLIS... one more... PHYLLIS!!! (in a film FOLLIES of course)).
Updated On: 6/24/09 at 06:35 PM

bwayfan7000
#202re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:14pm

If Winslet is in this, there would not be words for how happy I would be. She is, without a doubt, my favorite actress, film, theatre, or otherwise.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

ray-andallthatjazz86
#203re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:19pm

I think a theater production with Winslet and Lansbury would be crazy, I think it'd sell out before it opened, God knows I'd get tickets the day it was announced.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#204re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:22pm

If they advertised it as Lansbury's final stage role, I couldn't imagine the number of ticket sales!

Though they never would, and it may not be :P.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Yankeefan007
#205re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:29pm

I don't think Angie's planning on croaking any time soon.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#206re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:42pm

If Winslet's cast, it's going to be a pain to get tickets.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#207re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:54pm

I think Ceveris is nearly perfect for Fredrick. I would love to see him in the role.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#208re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:01pm

I actually think Lansbury would be a bigger draw to theatre audiences (i.e. the people who will buy tickets to this production) than Winslet. Yes, Winslet was in TITANIC which was a huge hit but, much as I love her, LITTLE CHILDREN and REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (and THE READER, for that matter) were far from blockbusters (or financially successful for that matter) and she has never appeared on Broadway before, so it will be a first.

All of that being said, she is at the top of her game and may be the biggest movie star right now (and deservedly so) so that may be the best career choice.

I say she'll do a 4-month run if she does it. She lives in NY, after all, and in a fantastic INTERVIEW interview recently she spoke of her love of the theatre, of New York and a desire to have a "night job" (aka after little children go to sleep aka showtime) which this project undoubtedly would be.

I agree, Winslet and Lansbury in the first Broadway revival of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is exactly what that piece deserves and would have the potential to give the original a run for its money if that were even remotely possible. This score is Sondheim's most exquisite, evocative and enchanting and deserves the best the entertainment field can offer.

Those ladies are it.

P

P.S. Winslet and Cerveris really would look like great opposite one another and their acting styles would complement each other magnificently. I would prefer any of the Fabrizios from LITP's run, but Cerveris is a great actor and a good singer.
Updated On: 6/24/09 at 08:01 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#209re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:10pm

I think if Winslet is cast, a lot of your typical non-theatre-goers will buy tickets. She's definitely going to be a box office draw in whatever she's in on Broadway.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

esparza 333
#210re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:21pm

All this Winslet and Lansbury talk is making me so excited. Kate is one the best film actresses of our generation and Lansbury is one of the greatest stage actresses of all time if not the best. Winslet would nail the complexity of the role perfectly.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Yankeefan007
#211re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:32pm

I hate to ask:

What is this one about?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#212re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:47pm

Where the hell did the Angela rumor start?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#213re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:49pm

A post on ATC from a person claiming that the producers are meeting with Lansbury at the end of this week.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#214re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:50pm

"The only problem seems to be any drama left over from the lawsuit involving Mendes over WISE GUYS. "

- Can you elaborate of what this is about?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ray-andallthatjazz86
#215re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:58pm

This speculation is so annoying. Can't they just cast Kate or Laura and get it over with? Ugh, who needs negotiations, we already know who would be good, who we wanna see, just come ask us re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Seriously, I can't remember the last time I was so excited about casting news, then again, the last time I was so excited, I think I was probably really disappointed.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#216re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:02pm

I'm sure someone could do a much better job than I could. I think the wounds are healed, anyway, as Mendes and Sondheim worked together on pre-production for SWEENEY TODD a few years after the lawsuit was settled, so it doesn't really matter.

And Mendes' Donmar Warehouse did a revised version of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG in that time period that won the Olivier for Best Musical, though Sondheim apparently was not a huge fan of the production (it included "The Hills Of Tomorrow") and still prefers the Lapine rewrite, which I do, too.

WISE GUYS was the best STRIKE IT RICH/GOLD/BOUNCE/ROAD SHOW ever was. By a MILE. True, Sondheim and Mendes has totally different ideas of what it should be but in this case that worked to its advantage I think (it really is a dark story told in a musical comedy milieu, as much as Steve refused to say it was dark until he changed his tune with Doyle's darkly dreaming ROAD SHOW).

Since we are all making wishes I wish that Steve finally gives Madame Armfelt an Act Two song, which Regina Resnik apparently requested from him once and he declined. Angie's a different story, as they are true collaborators and admiring peers. I don't care if the show is too long and Nunn used "Silly People" in previews in London so he is open to the idea of a cut song making its way back into the score and ALNM has all the best cut songs (besides FOLLIES). Or maybe a new verse in a Liason's (Reprise)?

P

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#217re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:17pm

This Kate Winslet rumor seems nothing more than a rumor. Though it would be nice if true.

As of now, I would like to see

Kate Winslet - Desiree
Angela Lansbury- Madame Armfeldt
Michael Cerveris- Frederick
Laura Benanti- Charlotte

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#218re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:34pm

ljay, always the fool, has apparently not read the most recent issue of HELLO! (UK edition) magazine in claiming this rumor is far from substatiated.

Words, when eaten, taste best with salt. Believe me, I know.

P

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#219re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:37pm

You told me not to respond to you, so DON'T respond to me. Why don't you call me more derogatory names, so I can report you to the moderators again.

Even ATC (a site with ACTUAL insiders) seems to believe this is more of wishful thinking right now.
Updated On: 6/24/09 at 09:37 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#220re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:41pm

I'm honestly all over this idea of Laura Benanti as Charlotte. she wasn't honestly who I'd think of first for the role, but I do think she'd be wonderful.

although, I also think Victoria Clark could've made a fine Charlotte. not in this production, obviously.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#221re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:42pm

Jenny Powers remains my ideal choice for Charlotte.

I also stand by the idea of Leigh Ann Larkin (who I actually heard has been seen for the role) as Petra.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#222re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:42pm

I have no interest in seeing Cerveris as Fredrick, you can almost tell what he's going to do in the part already, if someone proves that there's such a thing as overexposure it's him but I guess he is cast so it'll depend on their choice for Desiree. If it's Cerveris and Clark, I'll be the first one to admit I'll be quite disappointed.
Unfortunately, I'm with Ljay, Winslet is really just a rumor and I even don't think that she is even on their radar.
My ideal cast would be: (since Fredrick and Henrik have been cast I won't add them)
Kate Winslet or Laura Linney as Desiree
Steven Pasquale or Michael Gets as Carl-Magnum
Angela Lansbury, Maggie Smith or Mary Beth Piel as Armfeldt
Laura Benanti, Kate Jennings Grant or Jenny Powers as Charlotte
Josefina Scaglione or Erin Davie (too old I know) as Anne
Heidi Blickenstaff as Petra

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#223re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:45pm

I love the idea of Laura Linney as Desiree, but I think Marin Mazzie is my top choice. I know it won't happen, but I think she'd be marvelous.

I love the rest of your cast, ray, except for Heidi as Petra. I'm sure she could tear "The Miller's Son" up, but I like someone like Leigh Ann Larkin better.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#224re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:53pm

I'm not really a fan of the idea of Cerveris as Frederick. He would be serviceable, but not that exciting.

ETA: And either Blickenstaff or Larkin would be terrific as Petra.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 6/24/09 at 09:53 PM

Videos