pixeltracker

Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square

Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#1Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 3:56pm

Sorry if there's already been a post on this, I searched but who knows.

My work is bringing some kids in next Tuesday/Wednesday and they are looking for places to bring them that are affordable.
We already have down bringing them to look at Toys R Us and M&M World, any other ideas?

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Fosse76
#2re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:00pm

There are the ugly, tacky, waste-of-tax-payer-money beach chairs in the middle of the street, as well as the gaudy tkts stairs to nowhere.

iflip4musicals
#2re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:01pm

Haha I know, but I don't know how long that will hold their attention, it barely gets mine!

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

ghostlight2
#3re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:09pm

Bryant Park, NY public Library, Grand Central. The latter two are gorgeous pieces of architecture within and without, and both usually have exhibits of some sort. Winnie the Pooh memorabilia comes to mind at the library and Grand Central had a theatrically-oriented one some time back. At Grand Central you can show them the whispering gallery - kids love that.

The UN, maybe, if they're not too young. You can go walk through the very out-of-place Tudor City and head down to the UN along the magnificent stone stairway that has an excellent view of the river. There's a great Chagall stained glass window there.

This just off the top of my head. I'll come back if I think of more. Go to Timeoutny.com and check out the childrens section for the week. Or the village voice. Have fun, and let us know how it went.

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#4re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:12pm

Go to central park and let them run free.

iflip4musicals
#5re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:37pm

Thanks guys! Keep them coming! Any thoughts of things in or super close to Times Square (besides walking up the steps to no where) I don't know if they want to attempt to bring the kids on the subway and stuff like that.
But then again, who knows. :)

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#6re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:41pm

Not exactly in Times Square, but there's the big Disney store on 55th/5th.
And the NBC store and Rockefeller Center.

ghostlight2
#7re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:47pm

How old are these kids and how many?

iflip4musicals
#8re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:51pm

that is an excellent question, and apparently something an intern should not know.... my guess is they are 8-14 years old and there are probably 10-15 of them

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#9re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:52pm

Well if you sit on the steps to nowhere behind the TKTS booth, there's a huge TV screen on Broadway that does interactive texting games.....

iflip4musicals
#10re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:55pm

that may work, thanks!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#11re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 4:57pm

This isn't exactly in Times Square, but it's pretty close, completely free, and will hold kids' attention for at least and hour:
Sony Wonderlab

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#12re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 5:15pm

I love going to FAO Schwarz. Kids love the big piano thing.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

ghostlight2
#13re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 5:28pm

"Well if you sit on the steps to nowhere behind the TKTS booth, there's a huge TV screen on Broadway that does interactive texting games....."

Texting, M&M store...Toys R Us? You're bringing 'em to New York, Times Square to look at candy and toys and to play texting games? Can't they do that at home? re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square

I like my idea better. Take them somewhere. Teach them something.
Updated On: 7/9/09 at 05:28 PM

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#14re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 6:09pm

Honestly, they're most likely not going to want to be taught anything. It's summer in the best city in the world and they can learn when they're back in school. I would be interested in what you suggested, but I'm not a 10-year-old that likes pretty, shiny lights and lots of toys and candy in a huge toy store.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

ghostlight2
#15re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 6:23pm

I like pretty, shiny lights and lots of toys and...well, not so much candy. I would have killed to go to Grand Central when I was ten. Or twelve. Or fourteen. Finally made it at fifteen.

"It's summer in the best city in the world and they can learn when they're back in school".

As far as I'm concerned, you could have ended that sentence after the word "learn". Learning isn't have to be drudgery, or shouldn't be - and what better city to learn in? Seriously, what's the point of bringing them to one of the greatest cities in the world if you're just going to plunk 'em down on some steps and have 'em play games.

I now join dramatothemax in his/her suggestion:

"Go to central park and let them run free".

Good luck, whatever you choose.

eta: what is the purpose of bringing the kids into town? Or don't they tell you that either? re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square

Updated On: 7/9/09 at 06:23 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 6:28pm

Try the Times Square Church . It used to be the Mark hellinger. It originally opened as the Hollywood theater, It is georgeous inside. Call ahead & they may let you take a tour of it. I do not have their number off hand.

Poster Emeritus

iflip4musicals
#17re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/9/09 at 9:14pm

thanks guys! I'll send all these suggestions onto people who actually know things.... lol. Any other summer interns with me on the lack of information given to us? oh and the lack of pay....

as per why they're here, I don't see why you couldn't know, but I don't know if I can actual say. I'll leave it vagueish and say they will be participating in a tv shoot.

ps, personally I'm all for going to the park and playing tag or going to a museum and learning things, but who knows what the boss man will say! I'll let you know what they choose!

iflip4musicals
#18re: Cheap/Free things for Kids to Do in Times Square
Posted: 7/13/09 at 4:16pm

So I finally got more information on what's going on, and I don't need any of this stuff....

We needed stuff for parents to take their kids to before the shoot. We used Times Square because that's where the hotel was, but now it's moved.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

Videos