"Get Out and Stay Out"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1"Get Out and Stay Out"
Posted: 7/10/09 at 10:54pm

Okay, so I'm finally listening to 9 to 5 and I'm trying to figure out what all the fuss is over this song (and Stephanie J. Block's over-enunciated reading of it). I'd say 3/4 of the song are mediocre at best. The ending is the only potentially thrilling moment. It almost sounds like a trunk song from Wicked (especially with those orchestrations). I'm a huge Parton fan but perhaps she should stick to writing her own material.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 10:56pm

The orchestral similarities can be attributed to the fact that Stephen Oremus worked on both WICKED and 9 TO 5.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 10:56pm

It may be mediocre, but it's the best thing Dolly wrote for that score.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:00pm

That's like saying "Defying Gravity" is the best thing Stephen Schwartz wrote for Wicked.

Well Oremus' orchestrations feel out of place in 9 to 5.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#4re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:02pm

Now that you make the comparison, 'Get Out...' is much like 'Defying Gravity'.

Both songs are relatively soft and underplayed, and both have a very big and high belted ending.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:04pm

And "One of the Boys" is a rip-off of the song of the same title from Woman of the Year.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:08pm

I take that back. "One of the Boys" manages to rip off "One of the Boys", "Roxie", and "Where You Are" in one number.

I had such high expectations for this score, being a huge Parton fan. Big let down.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#7re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:09pm

Random but the time stamps on this site are off.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

The Last Midnight Profile Photo
The Last Midnight
#8re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:13pm

Yeah, I'm sure Dolly (A Broadway Newbie) would go through a bunch of other composers catalogues to come up with this song. Dolly isn't an idiot she can do it herself & has been for over 25 years.

Tours: Cats 2x, 42nd Street, The Producers, Hairspray 2x, Gypsy, Chicago, Annie, Sweeney Todd, Ain't Misbehavin', The Drowsy Chaperone, & Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Upcoming tours: Ave. Q, Mamma Mia!, The Wizard of Oz, Wicked, Beauty & The Beast

Broadway: Phantom of the Opera, Legally Blonde, Wicked, & Mamma Mia!

If I miss a space or letter it is probably because my keyboard is messed up. ~ Sorry
Updated On: 7/10/09 at 11:13 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:17pm

She's written songs for herself for over 25 years. Writing for another person is a another can of worms. I find it completely possible that she was passed a CD of Broadway songs to get a feel for the genre.

The Last Midnight
#10re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:18pm

Does Broadway even have ONE genre anymore?

Tours: Cats 2x, 42nd Street, The Producers, Hairspray 2x, Gypsy, Chicago, Annie, Sweeney Todd, Ain't Misbehavin', The Drowsy Chaperone, & Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Upcoming tours: Ave. Q, Mamma Mia!, The Wizard of Oz, Wicked, Beauty & The Beast

If I miss a space or letter it is probably because my keyboard is messed up. ~ Sorry

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:19pm

No, but 9 to 5 certainly has aspirations towards traditional musical comedy with a dab of Wicked.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#12re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:32pm

There's actually a great NYC drag queen named Mimi Imfurst (lol) who performs a mix of Defying Gravity and Get Out and Stay Out.

Get Out and Stay Out falls into the BKLYN "vocal pyrotechnics" category, but I still love it. The lyrics are absolutely laughable (she says "squirm." "SQUIRM."), but it's a decent guilty pleasure of a song.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:42pm

The lyrics are awful. It's an overrated song.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:43pm

The lyrics are not good, but it's the best melody in the show.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:43pm

I actually prefer "Shine Like the Sun".

The Last Midnight
#16re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/10/09 at 11:49pm

For NotScott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-95M_chC0w

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#17re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:15am

Me too, BobbyBubby.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 4:22am

I think "Shine and the Sun" is almost too corny for me to enjoy it, especially the way all of their lines at the beginning and the way they say them. I honestly cringe when I hear Megan Hilty, not because of her, but because of the blatant Dolly Parton impression she has to do.
"Get Out and Stay Out" is a fun song to listen to I think, but you can't pay much attention to the lyrics though. I think it's modeled after "Defying Gravity," it has the slow verse similar to the "unlimited" section, and it builds up to a powerful belt finale. I consider it a guilty pleasure.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

heo1128
#19re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 5:00am

I honestly am baffled by people who think the 9-5 score is a "masterpiece". I think it's impressive for Dolly Parton, and the fact that it's her first attempt at a score, but impressive without the name attachment? Nope.
Updated On: 7/11/09 at 05:00 AM

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#20re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 5:21am

"Get Out and Stay Out" is a wonderful song, but I am pretty sure that Dolly Parton, the experienced and fantastic songwriter that she is, did not have to turn to Wicked to get inspiration for the song. The evidence that has been provided by you guys is that it starts low and soft and builds up to a high, belty ending. Lots of songs follow that model. Dolly Parton has not tried to recreate "Defying Gravity". If Dolly Parton is guilty of anything, it is using a typical ballad song structure.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#21re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 5:50am

Sorry to be a nerdy nuisance, but Oremus did not orchestrate Wicked, he worked as musical director. William David Brohn orchestrated Wicked.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#22re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:10pm

Just saw the show last night for the first time, and I couldn't agree more with the overall tone of this thread. Why do people like this show? It?s trite, bombastic, and, overall . . . AWFUL.

Aside from the quintessential Dolly numbers, the music is a failed attempt from Wicked.

The jerky, epileptic choreography is a failed attempt from In the Heights.

The back light wall is a failed attempt from Guys and Dolls (oops, that one failed, too). I mean, from Hairspray.

The over-the-top, obnoxious THREE speaker racks in the front of the house are a failed attempt from the show that should/needs to have them: Rock of Ages.

And the selling of "treats" in the aisled during intermission is a failed attempt at a losing Yankees game, not to mention being down right OFFENSIVE.

Without those three wonderful actresses on the stage, this show would be D.O.A.

Voulez-Vous
#23re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:18pm

>>The back light wall is a failed attempt from Guys and Dolls (oops, that one failed, too). I mean, from Hairspray.

Too bad Hairspray never had an LCD screen (Well the Non-Eq tour does) but a light-bright style wall of lights. They had it before Guys & Dolls opened as well.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24re: 'Get Out and Stay Out'
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:28pm

Three speaker racks?!

My God, the show must be AWFUL!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2