pixeltracker

How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?

How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?

Vivre la Dance
#1How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:22pm

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

I was reading Mr Roxy's thread "Musicals You Do Not Want A Movie On" and thinking in this day and age -- when cartoons (e.g., "The Lion King") and SNL sketches (e.g., "You're Welcome America") are turned into Broadway "shows" -- just how far outside the box could you go?

So, how would you do a reality show for theater?

Would you cast actors or regular folk, so to speak?

If you cast stage actors, would you have them "performing" as themselves, or creating characters, or doing both. I suppose it could be totally improvisational.

Or how about a reality show about the actors preparing for an actual play? That is, turn the rehearsals into a reality show.

Or what if audience members were invited on stage to interact with the actors?

Or what if you just create an "American Idol" type of show, where all the roles are cast with professional actors except for one ... which would go to the winner of a competition. That competition -- where contestants would act with the professionals and then be judged -- would be your show.

Updated On: 7/11/09 at 02:22 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:26pm

Is Trump still pitching "Apprentice: The Musical"?

Voulez-Vous
#2re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:31pm

There was already 2 Broadway reality shows. One for Grease & one Legally Blonde. The UK has had like 5 of them for the West End.

Vivre la Dance
#3re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:32pm

re "Is Trump still pitching 'Apprentice: The Musical'?"

I haven't heard anything about it.

Is this a celebrity version?

(Can Dennis Rodman sing?)

re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Updated On: 7/11/09 at 02:32 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:37pm

American Idol the Musical

Starring William Hung

Poster Emeritus

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#5re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 3:11pm

Survivor: the Musical. With real dirt! :)

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#6re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/11/09 at 3:12pm

There are many reasons for me to run screaming from the theater district. This would be the biggest one.

Dear God..we've had enough of reality (read:FAKE) tv. Please stay away from Broadway. Thank you.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Vivre la Dance
#7re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 6:04pm

Mr Roxy: "Starring William Hung."

He wouldn't be the first. :)

Several American Idol contestants have done Broadway:

Diana DeGarmo in "Hairspray"

Constantine Maroulis in "The Wedding Singer"

Frenchie Davis in "Rent"

Clay Aiken in "Spamalot"

Fosse76
#8re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 6:20pm

Couldn't A Chorus Line technically be considered a reality show? I mean the stories are essentially based on true life...so in that respect it's already been done.

"Or how about a reality show about the actors preparing for an actual play? That is, turn the rehearsals into a reality show."

Grease and Legally Blonde have already used the reality show concept for casting; you have royalty issues to deal with when it comes to rehersals. It would require major cobncessions from copyright holders as well as the various theatrical unions.

"Or what if audience members were invited on stage to interact with the actors?"

They did that with The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 6:25pm

If you're talking about reality shows about life in the theater, or being an actor, a few years ago, Bravo had a show called "The It Factor" that was about the lives of a bunch of actors in NYC. There's also a new, similar show in the works; I can't remember for what network, but the premise will be similar, except that rather than following up and coming actors, it'll look at people who have been working for some time, and there'll be the traditional reality show "house" concept, they'll all live together, etc.

turn the rehearsals into a reality show.

How is that that different from a documentary?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#10re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 6:41pm

You've already had a musical based off of a reality show. I believe it was called IDOL? It was off-Broadway one or two seasons ago.

There's been musicals based off of films (Catch Me If You Can, Thoroughly Modern Millie, et al); documentaries (Grey Gardens); TV shows (Addams Family, Little House of the Prairie, Happy Days); comics (You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, Spider-Man); tabloids (Bat Boy); novels (Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, Little Women); etc. etc. etc. Basing a musical off of a reality show isn't far-fetched at all.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

timote316
#11re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 7:04pm

Capn, "Addams Family" is based on the comics, not the TV show. But you make a valid point.

And once again I love when people freak out at the source material behind musicals. If a show is well done, what does it matter what the source material is? So many people bemoan the lack of "original musicals" on the boards, but they are horrible and flop with the same regularity as musicals based on movies/books/etc.

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#12re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 8:13pm

Heidi Blickenstaff used to describe [title of show] as a "reality musical." I suppose because it attempted to capture the creative process, behind the scenes, moment by moment. It also attempted to appear "unscripted." . . . I don't know if it was successful in that regard or not.

Vivre la Dance
#13re: How soon before we have a reality show on Broadway?
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:36pm

Timote316: "And once again I love when people freak out at the source material behind musicals. If a show is well done, what does it matter what the source material is? So many people bemoan the lack of 'original musicals' on the boards, but they are horrible and flop with the same regularity as musicals based on movies/books/etc."

I wonder if Cable News Shows could be a source.

Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann in "Waiting For Godot"?

OK, here's one that I don't think I've seen yet: a television commercial as a springboard for a Broadway show. (Now that would surely, to use your term, "freak out" some people.)

(There was a TV show last year based on a GEICO commercial but it flopped.)