News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RoA on The View

AngryYoungMan
#1RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:00pm

Anyone see it? How was it? What did they do?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:05pm

It was ok. They did a medley. They sounded a bit off key at points. I have to confess, I just couldn't stop looking at his ankles during the interview! He wasn't wearing socks.

Just give the world Love.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#2re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:15pm

They were off key at many points. Not familiar with the show and it didn't make me want to see it either. OK at best.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#3re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:15pm

I'm not crazy about the idea of the show (I hate all of those '80s rock anthems) but Maroulis surprised me. In the interview he was funny, self-deprecating, warm and very entertaining. I agree that there were some pitch problems during the song but it sounded more like vocal fatigue, which eight shows a week can do to a person. Mostly, I was surprised at how strong all three singers were (well, not Maroulis really...I've heard him sing before). If the blonde woman is the replacement for Amy Spanger she's a significant improvement. Overall, if your inclined to see Rock of Ages this would definitely encourage you.

Barney Stinson
#4re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:17pm

Just watched it on DVR. Interview was ok, CM used the word 'amazing' about 100 times. No socks, but they didn't wear em on Miami Vice, so it's cool.

Set was good. It was clear they were trying to appeal to The View's audience, ie middle aged women.

Medley was More Than Words(S Wise), To Be With You(Waitress #1), then Heaven led by CM, with the robed backup singers, then they all alternated To Be With You/Heaven/More Than Words.

Definitely picked the softer songs, and I can see why.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#5re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:27pm

I thought Constantine's interview was great. Especially that hypnotizing bull**** he did at the end.

The performance not so much. Pretty bland.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:45pm

Another performance that didn't convince me to see this. And while I thought Constantine was charming....jeans, black dress shoes, no socks. ICK.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Barney Stinson
#7re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:46pm

Meh, you guys need to recognize that the bar for the average 'The View' viewer is far far below that of the average BWW poster. That performance will definitely sell tickets.

It just sucks that there's really no way to really demonstrate the humor of the show in any of these talk show settings.

Lumen2 Profile Photo
Lumen2
#8re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:47pm

" I have to confess, I just couldn't stop looking at his ankles during the interview! He wasn't wearing socks. "

Me too! I thought his ankles were so skinny, though.

AngryYoungMan
#9re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:05pm

Just saw the video. Thought the interview was great - they definitely sounded tired, especially Constantine...hope they get some rest. Wasn't a bad performance though - but I've yet to have seen a performance on TV that completely captures the magic of the live show.

Barney Stinson
#10re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:10pm

"I've yet to have seen a performance on TV that completely captures the magic of the live show."

I agree, but I think you could say that about almost every single Bway show in history. As well as every sporting event or concert. If it could all be captured on TV, it would be a pretty lifeless show, you know?

Your sentiment also demonstrates that the shows ISN't just a rock concert, you need the context to really understand any of the songs.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#11re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:13pm

I thought Constantine was great during the interview, though you could tell he didn't care for the constant mentioning of the "sultry glares" from Idol lol. I liked how he always tried to keep the focus on ROA.

I give the performance a 7 out of 10. I commend them for performing something aside from Don't Stop Believin/Here I Go Again, but it left me kinda bored. Granted I'm not the target audience for the View, but if they wanted to do a softer song I think "Every Rose has Its Thorn" would have been better and allowed more of the cast to be featured.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

AwesomeDanny
#12re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:24pm

Is it on youtube yet? My grandma told me she saw it. She wasn't too descriptive. "There was one song where she sang and then he joined in a little later, and another where they both sang and four more people sang with them." What songs were performed?

Barney Stinson
#13re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:29pm

If it bored you, it's probably cause you aren't a regular watcher of the View. Can't overstimulate those ladies too much, you know? They already had CM's sultry glare to deal with re: RoA on The View

ERHIT would have been extremely confusing to the studio and television audience who hadn't seen the show. It has about 6 different solos in it from what would have been random characters, including a garbled one from Stacee Jaxx that would have made no sense at all.

Made sense to me to just play up Drew/Sherrie love interest, not too much to think about there, and I'm glad they didn't do High Enough again. Cute girl, cute guy, cheesy romantic songs ----------> collective warm fuzzies from the middle aged ladies watching The View.

lstbutifulgrl2
#14re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 6:00pm

you can watch it for free on abc.com

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

AwesomeDanny
#15re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 6:58pm

Okay, I watched it now. They didn't perform my favorite songs, but the performance was fine. I noticed how they gave the audience the cast recording, but with most performances they also give free tickets, which didn't happen this time! About them seeming tired: cast members are always much better on late night talk shows because they have energy from the show, whereas with morning talk shows, they probably stayed up until at least midnight and couldn't sleep in the next morning because of the TV appearance.

For anybody who cares, my mom was watching the interview when she had jury duty today, but the performance was cut off from an announcement about their lunch break, or something like that.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#16re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 8:44pm

Just saw the video on abc.com.

Constantine, very real, unaffected.
Song choice and arrangement, poor. Seemed like some cues missed.
Overall performance fair. Would not have made me a fan.

Gotta hand it to Barbara Walters.

Everyone was trying to keep things light and then Babs sneaks in with "So how did it feel to get kicked off American Idol?" And then again with "So I understand your father was very sick during American Idol...."

ETA: Plus she got him to talk about losing his cousin in 9/11.

Didn't eke out any tears, but she was on her A game.

Updated On: 8/1/09 at 08:44 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 8:54pm

Of course Barbara had to take the joy out of life by mentioning the negatives. I can't stand her.

He gave a very positive and upbeat interview. Who cares if he had socks on?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

massofmen
#18re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:44pm

barney stinson got it right.
remember who the show plays to. 30-150 yr old women. They wanna see a love story. They don't want to see screaming rock songs. This was picked really well and I think it will be a boost (not like the show needs it) for tix sales in this demorgraphic.

I am sure when the show goes on letterman or another late night it will be "don't stop" or "here I go again" because of the demographic of viewers.

These producers aren't stupid. They took the show from a club in LA to broadway. I think they know what they are doing.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#19re: RoA on The View
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:59pm

But it's the 40-50 year old that were teens/young bar hoppers when this music was big....they would have loved the jamming! I just thought it was boring.

And if his wearing no socks kept us distracted, obviously it was bothersome. Or maybe he just wasn't interesting enough to keep our attention.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kaykohl Profile Photo
Kaykohl
#20re: RoA on The View
Posted: 8/1/09 at 1:22am

Constantine thanked John Varvatos in a recent tweet right before he taped The View. So he is more than likely wearing a John Varvatos Suit.

This link shows a recent showing of John's collection and the camera focuses on the feet of the models and you can see they are all sockless.
John Varvatos: Men's Designer Suits

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#21re: RoA on The View
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:49am

"barney stinson got it right.
remember who the show plays to. 30-150 yr old women. They wanna see a love story. They don't want to see screaming rock songs."

I disagree. I'm within that age bracket and I enjoyed the "screaming rock songs" much more than the slow romantic ones.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Barney Stinson
#22re: RoA on The View
Posted: 8/1/09 at 10:53am

Yeah, but Jane2, do you watch The View on a regular basis?

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#23re: RoA on The View
Posted: 8/2/09 at 2:08pm

Great interview, great performance- I LOVED everything about it!
Constantine looked handsome and Savannah is adorable.

If I hadn't already seen it- I would buy tickets after watching that.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#24re: RoA on The View
Posted: 8/2/09 at 2:12pm

Constantine worked the couch like nobody's business.

But that performance was simply AWFUL. Those songs, particularly "More Than Words" are not easy to sing, but this is BROADWAY, kids. Amy Spanger left and this is as good as they can do? And the brunette was even WORSE. BAD. Just bad. The Tony performance was a lot of fun, but this was really, really painfully poor. It made me wish we had Faith Prince in the Ursala drag meandering/warbling senselessly again.

P

Videos