pixeltracker

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010- Page 2

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010

MariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
#25re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:16pm

Arthur must be sharpening his claws!

He's already said he hates this production!

Is Hodge the only one transferring?

The only other one I could imagine them offering a transfer is Philip Quast, the current Georges. But they may want to get a big name for that role since Hodge is (I presume) completely unknown in NY.

Wonder what theatre it will take. I imagine the Golden is the most appropriate house?

Choosing the right house will be crucial. I'm not familiar with the theatres in question, but the way the set has been built into the Playhouse in the West End is absolutely essential to how this production works. This is the best picture I can find of how it is in London: http://tinyurl.com/nhjb34

Musical Director 109
#26re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:19pm

Can't wait to see this after the disappointing revival!! The original production still evokes fond memories and the OBC recording still sends chills down my spine.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#27re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:22pm

does anyone have a link to the poster? I can't find it...

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#29re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:29pm

This played recently on Broadway, why not opening an original show or a revival of a show that hasn't been seen on Broadway in a long time like Kiss of the Spider Woman!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#30re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:31pm

That would depend on which version was being referenced. There was one for the Menier Chocolate Factory run and another for the West End run.

re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,

re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Updated On: 8/6/09 at 03:31 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 3:36pm

Well I actually really liked the revival. I do think it's odd to bring this particular show back this soon, though. I would much rather see something come back that was butchered in it's last revival, such as INTO THE WOODS.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:14pm

So the current list on B'way musical revivals for this coming season are:

- La Cage aux Folles
- Bye Bye Birdie
- Ragtime
- A Little Night Music

any others?? What ever happened to Dancin'??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:14pm

Finian's Rainbow

and Babe In Arms is possible

broadwayjim42
#34re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:15pm

Ick...this is one of the rare shows I can honestly say I've disliked since Day 1. It would have to be pretty remarkable to change my opion.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#35re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:39pm

I really liked the 2005 revival so I'm not really looking forward to this.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#36re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:43pm

Is there any hope of a SUNSET BOULEVARD transfer?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#37re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:45pm

To be fair, I remember Laurents' comments critiquing this production being directed at Graham Norton, which would mean he saw it after Douglas Hodge left.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 5:51pm

This does not excite me at all.

Question for those who have seen it...one of the things I've read about this production is that you are always painfully aware that Albin and the Cagelles are all men. So, how does this change the plot of the show, since much of it is built around Albin being able to fool the Dindons into thinking he's a woman? Updated On: 8/6/09 at 05:51 PM

Yankeefan007
#39re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:04pm

It doesn't change the plot of the show at all. It's not that you're aware that they're men, it's that they're more manly than they are womanly.

Except Albin, who, as Hodge plays so delightfully, uses the voice and persona as a woman even while not in drag. That's what makes the transformation scene in Act 2 so funny.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:13pm

I had no idea the Weisslers were producing this transfer!

RentBoy86
#41re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:16pm

I'm so excited for this! It seems like the kind of show that balancing drama and comedy so well.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#42re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:21pm

Second Menier production to be confirmed for New York, as you know it is to be played in a Shubet Theatre yet to be named, has A Little Night Music confirmed a venue yet please?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#43re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:21pm

The Weisslers? Should we expect a long run with various c-list celebrities taking over the lead roles every couple of months?

RentBoy86
#44re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 6:29pm

Well, this show, like Chicago, doesn't require a major singer, so maybe so? ha

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#45re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 8:15pm

I saw the production at the Menier in winter 2008, and when I saw Todd Haimes in the audience that night, I was sure that Roundabout would do the right thing and transfer this fantastic production to Broadway, where it would've done well as a limited run.

Alas, it never happened, so I'm happy to see someone is bringing it over. I do wonder how long it could last in a commercial run though.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#46re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 9:01pm

Well i have been 2 threads tonight, this and a thread about Carrie and both threads had Roscoe moaning or hating....is there anything at all you like? all you seem to do is say you hate everything

Anywho
You guys are in for a treat, its an amazing production, very small and intimate

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

husk_charmer
#47re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 9:02pm

Except Albin, who, as Hodge plays so delightfully, uses the voice and persona as a woman even while not in drag. That's what makes the transformation scene in Act 2 so funny.

And that is precisely what I dislike about his performance, the affected voice, to me at least, is very mocking. I have never thought Albin to hold that persona offstage. (Admittedly, I've only heard his performance, so my opinion could change)

Honestly, unless they get a BIG name for Georges, I do not anticipate it running more than 6-8 weeks. It's so quick on the heels of the last revival, and doesn't have a major star name. And before anyone says "Gypsy" we all know that revival happened because of Patti. Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Yankeefan007
#48re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 9:17pm

What's "mocking" about it? Just because he uses a female voice?

husk_charmer
#49re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/6/09 at 9:22pm

^ To be honest, I can't put my finger on it, I just felt, as a former drag performer, like I was being mocked. It's most likely an issue with me that I'll never be able to explain, but it's how I feel.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer